Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd class homework

• 19-10-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice. My 9 year old son is taking at least 1 1/2 hours doing his homework each night. Last night he was over 2 hours. The problem seems to be his maths. He got 30 multiplication sums to do last night and around the same tonight. I told him to stop doing it after 90 mins tonight as his concentration was completely gone. He got very upset and he is worrying he will be sent to principals office because its not completed. I wrote to his teacher last night,but she didn't look at his notebook today,so I wrote another note tonight. Just wondering is this the norm,are 3rd class students supposed to get so much homework? Along with all this maths he got English and Irish reading,a book review to write,spellings and words to put into sentences. He also got tables and Irish spellings. I am worried he will end up not liking school,he used to love going in,but this year he doesn't seem to be as happy.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

From what you've described, that is an excessive amount of homework for one night's work. Children in 3rd Class should only be spending 30-40 minutes at their homework anyway.

If you have an issue with it, and you are getting nowhere writing notes to the teacher, try and organise an appointment to speak with the teacher.

If this is not possible due to work/other committments, you could, as a final resort, request to view a copy of the school's homework policy. This should state approximate times that each class level should be spending at their homework. You'll have to ask the principal for this. If you can't get to school during normal school hours, a phone call is probably best, or even an email.

I hope this was of some help to you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What kind of multiplication-tables type mental maths?How are his tables-is that what might be slowing him down?
    Either way after 60 mins there is no point in going on at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Thanks a million for the replies. I got a note back from the teacher today and she said she asked the rest of the class how long it took them to do it and said the longest they said was 20 mins. Now I don't know about other 9 year olds,but mine definitely wouldn't know the length of time he was doing something.
    Anyway,she outlined how long it should take him to do each part of his homework and it added to 40 mins. He actually done his homework this evening in under 30 mins because he only got 5 maths questions to do as opposed to over 30.
    I will make an appointment to see her in the next few weeks when I can get off work early. He did say the other children got 1 extra maths question,so I don't really want that either,I would prefer him to have the same homework as everyone else. He is fine with his tables,and doesn't seem to be having any other trouble apart from the homework. Apparently a lot of the parents have been complaining to each other about it,but none apart from me have brought it up with teacher.
    In fairness to her she thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Lets hope thats the last of the 2 hour homework fest:) Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Good for you to speak up and being pro-active. I'd still go ahead with the meeting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I teach third class and our school policy is 30 - 45 minutes homework every night for this age level. I give differentiated homework to the more able children who may complete this homework in under this time and less to children who may struggle with it. Generally its 5 minutes reading, 5 spellings, 2 short writing exercises (English or Irish), 5 minutes of maths sums and 5 minutes of tables.

Anymore than 45 minutes is too much in my opinion and taking away from the little time children get to relax and socialize with their family and friends in already a full day of work in school. Fair play for arranging an appointment with the teacher to discuss it, hopefully it will get resolved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement