Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 4 month old?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

My baby daughter used to be very happy and smiley all the time but now needs to be held around the clock or else she screams and cries :( I have a playmat that she seems to have outgrown as she just rolls over the edges of it and also a bouncer seat that she used to love but now hates.
    I know she's teething but when she's held she's grand, is there any play thing that would interest her?
    I don't believe in letting her cry out as she gets herself into a state.
    Any suggestions are very welcomed x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elderberri

Hi Carme, I found my little fella was the same. He used to be very content lazing about but as his getting more active he certainly wants to be up more. What i do find helps now is whats called a jumparoo or activity centre. Theres different brands and can be got reasonably enough in Smiths. He seems to like this and i can get some peace. Also a door bouncer might be good. i used these from 4 months. It'd be great if you could borrow these things cos typically they get tired of these things or grow out of them so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Thanks for that, at least I'm not alone, it's crazy she used to be so content while I pottered around cleaning but now it's mayhem.
    I do want to get her something but I'm bamboozeled by all the stuff in the shops!
    Money is pretty tight at the minute so I want to male a good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I have this thing called the Baby Einstein which they sit in, with plenty to keep them occupied, and get to 'almost' stand up..... worked for both boys from about 4 months to a year, and both loved sitting in it.
    Made by Graco, you can probably get in Smyths too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My soon was exactly the same at 4 months and I was at my wits end as he was very demanding and wanted constant attention. They go through a developmental leap around 4 months when they're learning new skills.

Google 'the wonder weeks' and it shows all the different leaps. It was actually a relief for me to know its completely normal and I didn't just have a very demanding baba on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

My soon was exactly the same at 4 months and I was at my wits end as he was very demanding and wanted constant attention. They go through a developmental leap around 4 months when they're learning new skills.

I realise that every baby is different but how long did this stage last?

Please tell me it ended :D

• Advertisement

Yes things have definitely improved thankfully! From 4-6 months can be tough going because of growth spurts, development leaps, teething. It just seemed like one thing after the next. I was in a state wondering how I'd cope with working full time and no sleep. He still has bad nights and he's not sleeping through but it has definitely definitely improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Yes things have definitely improved thankfully! From 4-6 months can be tough going because of growth spurts, development leaps, teething. It just seemed like one thing after the next. I was in a state wondering how I'd cope with working full time and no sleep. He still has bad nights and he's not sleeping through but it has definitely definitely improved!

That's good to hear. I shouldn't complain really as I've had it so easy with her up until now. She's 5.5 months and like you said it just seems like one thing after the next. She gave me a blissful week from sleeping 8 to 8 but now she's waking up at 2 and 6. To be honest, I find it a little harder now in the night than when she was a newborn as a bottle did the trick then but now she sometimes wants to be fed, or it might be the soother or else a ten minute walk around the room to settle her.

On the plus side, I'm just back from a three mile walk as I couldn't get her to sleep in her cot earlier so she got a nap in the buggy and I got some well needed exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Thanks for all the replies and reassurance, it's still the same but I shouldn't really complain because she sleeps from 10-8 but during the day she still has to be held constantly, if I put her down even just to get something ready etc she screams :(
    I hope its just a phase, I feel I've spoilt her with attention but I didn't imagine that possible. Surely she's so young she needs all the love and attention I van give?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I feel your pain. Our daughter is 8 months and she is very clingy. She was late cutting her teeth so she's only getting them now. I remember our son was the same and he was the most placid baby I've ever seen, except for a few months. We're trying our best not to ruin her by holding her all the time so I might give the Baby Einstein a shot. The jumper one looks like a good laugh too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please do not use abbreviations such as DD etc here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I know it's frustrating when they're clingy; my son demands constant attention in the evenings and at weekends but I don't believe you can spoil a baby. They need their mammys so as annoying as it can be I'd say give them your attention as much as you can. It's a phase and it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

My little fella is the exact same! he's 21 weeks and has been really fussy for the last 3or 4 weeks. All he wants to do is sit up or stand up, neither of which he can do on his own. He seems to like his high chair as he can sit up in it and we got him the jumperoo which he knocks about 30 minutes out of. He loves it when we put him on his changing mat and take off his nappy! He spends ages grabbing his feet and talking to himself. Obviously the downside is mopping up pee and changing clothes every now and then. He's not sleeping the nights either and waking earlier and earlier! Teething is so hard on him too. His cheeks are really red. Can't wait for this phase to end. We're wrecked!!!!

Advertisement