Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to pass Irish

• 19-10-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Aiming for Accounting in UCC 425 points but want to get around the mid 400's to be safe.I'm seriously considering dropping down to pass Irish as I'm pretty weak at it.I'm already doing pass maths and honours English,French,Biology,Geography,Business and Economics(outside of school)

I reckon It might be a good idea to drop to pass Irish to concentrate on the 6 honours subjects?

Any advice please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

That really depends. The way I see it, if there is no possible way that you could do better in Irish than another subject then go ahead, if you're only slightly weak at Irish, consider sticking with it and you never know, it might save you from a muck up in another exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Cian A wrote: »
    That really depends. The way I see it, if there is no possible way that you could do better in Irish than another subject then go ahead, if you're only slightly weak at Irish, consider sticking with it and you never know, it might save you from a muck up in another exam.

Yeah thats the thing with the oral being 40% i could end up getting some sort of a C which could end up saving me if I messed up another exam,Thanks for the reply :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

if your doing 6 or 7 in your case higher lvl subjects you can afford to drop down. also if your not good at irish and want to do higher lvl it will take a lot of study which may bring down your grades in other subjects.
    also im a bit biased seeing as i hate irish but id say drop it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Irish is considerably harder to get a high grade at HL than a lot of other subjects to be honest, unless you're in a Gaeltacht area or have an Irish speaking family.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Keep in mind that the oral is the same for both higher than ordinary, but if you know yourself that you can get a better mark in another subject, then it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I really think you should stick out the honours Irish, I dropped and have been begging to move back up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Thinks it true what people said here that the amount of effort to be put into it would take away from your potential grades in other subjects!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A little bit of planning and time-management and you should have no problem finding enough time for every subject. Unless you're already struggling to pass Honours level exams in a subject (in this case, Irish) you shouldn't really be thinking too seriously about dropping down a level.

Advertisement