Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminding cost cork

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys, Im a new mother and new to boards so not sure if im posting in the right place. Just wondering if anyone could guide me on the cost of childminding. i am living in cork and looking for a childminder for 4 days per week from 8 - 5.30pm for a 10month old.

Also wondering how to go about finding a childminder, dont know anyone in the area and no luck on local notice boards. The few names iv managed to get already have kids and cant take any more.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Congrats on being a new mother. Costs can vary depending on many factors, child minder vs creche, how many other kids are being minded by a child minder, the age of the child etc...
    You will get some good advice from the folk over at the Soc => Parenting forum.

I have kids too and am well versed in everything childminding related, been there, done that....still doing it :D

Take your time, ask lots of questions, read up on your rights and the rights of the child minder etc.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elderberri

thanks for the advice ill get onto the parenting forum...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

From expierence you are looking at around €50 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Cork City Childcare - (021-4507942) will provide a list of childminders registered with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shauna0

Not sure if im posting in the right place... But how much would you pay someone to work 25 hours a week to look after 2 small children in their own home. Housework is included i.e. ironing, sweeping floors, dishes etc.

• Advertisement

shauna0 wrote: »
    Not sure if im posting in the right place... But how much would you pay someone to work 25 hours a week to look after 2 small children in their own home. Housework is included i.e. ironing, sweeping floors, dishes etc.

so you're looking for a maid and a child minder right?

For a child minder anyway, you could start looking here

Hi run_Forest_run, thanks for replyin, im the employee... they hired me.. and im just wondering how much other people would expect to be paid for this kind of work.. it is a lot of work cooking all the meals and cleanin and looking after children. I do feel like a bit of a maid as you said, so am just kina wondering if this is normal practice to get your childminder to do all this as I feel absolutely worn out (and for so little money), whereas when I hear other stories from childminders they enjoy what they do, and they also seem to just look after the children, and maybe clean up their toys, but thats it.
    Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love the children, but am just wondering is all this normal to ask for, even though it wasnt agreed before I started working.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Hi run_Forest_run, thanks for replyin, im the employee... they hired me.. and im just wondering how much other people would expect to be paid for this kind of work.. it is a lot of work cooking all the meals and cleanin and looking after children. I do feel like a bit of a maid as you said, so am just kina wondering if this is normal practice to get your childminder to do all this as I feel absolutely worn out (and for so little money), whereas when I hear other stories from childminders they enjoy what they do, and they also seem to just look after the children, and maybe clean up their toys, but thats it.
    Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love the children, but am just wondering is all this normal to ask for, even though it wasnt agreed before I started working.

I think because you are working in their house (not your own) you have to receive minimum wage which is 8.65. Not 100% sure but i think that's the way it is

oh OK, I thought you were looking for someone to do all of the above, hence I was being a bit angry cos it's really a cheek to expect the child minder to do housework in the other person's home (my opinion anyway!).

So, I would say it is NOT normal for you to end up cleaning and ironing in addition to minding the children. Feck that.

We have a child minder minding our 2 but she minds them in her house so it's different.

I'm sure others here could advise you but I think you are being exploited. Was it agreed you do housework etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

We don't have a child minder (yet) but 2 of our neighbours do. They both mind the children in the childrens own home. They both do basic house work and cooking like you have mentioned so I imagine it is not that unusual at all.

I would have assumed however that was all worked out and agreed before hand though when negotiating the pay and not just assumed. The over-sight here (by both parties) appears to be that the duties were not clarified correctly before hand....unfortunate situation to be in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies... very mixed responses.... we agreed beforehand that i would do just a bit of ironing and just clean up after the children, which I had no problem doing either of these as I actually suggested that I do some ironing.
    But if they decide to cook somethin for themselves (not the children) they'll tell me to come in and clean it whilst trying to look after the 2 children, or tell me to clean out the fire and set it all up and clean floors. Its a bit of a stressful situation as Im so wrecked from it and would love to approach her about it, but im not sure how to do it without her thinkin im either being lazy or a bit bitchy, because I have to work around her all day so i dont want us to fall out (she's a stay at home mom).

@fells2gd2betrue: Im gettin no where near minimum wage for mindin 2 kids. Although I think you're actually right,, and arent they supposed to register you so you can pay taxes too??

(Also, she has a cleaner so theres no reason for me to really be doing it)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi Shauna,
    You are not a maid and she needs to stop taking advantage of you. Light housework is fine but minding kids is a busy and difficult job- I remember how draining I found it working in a creche (rewarding though)
    I would wait until she has time to listen and seems in a good mood then say casually that you love the kids but sometimes find that you spend more time cleaning than you do minding children and it is not right for the kids to not get your complete attention.
    IF SHE SAYS IT IS PART OF THE JOB AND THAT IS THAT, GO ELSEWHERE- you deserve better and dont allow yourself to feel guilty. I hope for 25 hours a week you are coming out with over 150euro at least (minding kids is very very exhausting and putting them in a creche would cost her more)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Thats crazy,, and the other poster is right, you should be paid minimum wage if you are workin in someone elses home, if you were minding the child in your own home you do not have to be paid minimum wage, as you would be able to clean your own home, do your shoppin etc, except you would have a child in tow.

I think you should start looking for someone who will appreciate you more, as this person sounds like they're takin you for granted.

Where are you located if you dont mind me askin??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My wife has long experience in childcare. No way is it normal to be doing the general housework as well. You are 100% being exploited.

@yellowcrayon: Im in the city centre.
    And I dont mind not gettin minimum wage; its just the amount of work that wasnt agreed, and i dont feel like i can say no because i dont want to fall out with her,like i was sayin before, she's a stay at home mother so she's around me all day every day.

@ismisebridget: im not gettin 150e,, and sometimes i dont even get the full hours that we agreed, so i come out with even less money (feckin impossible to make the rent) :eek:
    And yes, looking after kids is so rewarding, and your an absolute saint for workin in a creche with the sheer amount of children :D:p
    And thanks for the suggestion about confrontin, its a great idea. Thank u!! :)

Padraig Mor, has she ever been asked to do housework by an employer? Or is it just looking after the children? Does she clean up after the kids?

I wouldnt really mind doin it if she upped the aul wages a bit and just let me do the things that we had agreed.
    Cos the way it appears is she's askin me to do more and more everyday, and im wondering is it to see how far she can push me to see how much work she can get out of me before i start sayin its unreasonable and has reached my boundries...?

Im curious to hear about your wife's experience as a childminder and if she's ever been asked to do more than mind children?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

She's worked in creches and more recently from our house so she hasn't been in the situation herself. However, she knows others who do it and it's not the norm - ESPECIALLY where it hasn't been agreed in advance. Pay doesn't sound that unusual unfortunately! But if they're leaving you short sometimes - leave!

Shauna I hate to say it but you should probably start to look elsewhere, this woman has no conscience and will keep pushing you until you can take no more, she knows no one else would do as much for her so she is taking advantage while she can. I am genuinely stunned she has you working for less than that. Good Luck with it anyway!!!

I also think you should leave, there is no point in even bringing it up with her (your employer). Considering she hasn't mentioned the legalities of you working in her home and her adding extra tasks onto your workload it sounds like this one has a neck like a jockey's you know whats and is out to take advantage of your good nature.

She also has a cleaner....no shortage of money I'd say and often it's the ones with the money are the hardest and meanest ones to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Thanks for all the replies... very mixed responses.... we agreed beforehand that i would do just a bit of ironing and just clean up after the children, which I had no problem doing either of these as I actually suggested that I do some ironing.
    But if they decide to cook somethin for themselves (not the children) they'll tell me to come in and clean it whilst trying to look after the 2 children, or tell me to clean out the fire and set it all up and clean floors. Its a bit of a stressful situation as Im so wrecked from it and would love to approach her about it, but im not sure how to do it without her thinkin im either being lazy or a bit bitchy, because I have to work around her all day so i dont want us to fall out (she's a stay at home mom).

@fells2gd2betrue: Im gettin no where near minimum wage for mindin 2 kids. Although I think you're actually right,, and arent they supposed to register you so you can pay taxes too??

Unfortunately it sounds like you are being taken advantage of. Yes they should set it up so you pay tax and also get your correct holidays afaik! I suggest having a word with the parents, maybe just say that when you agreed to take the job that you didn't realise the housework would be so heavy? Children can be difficult to look after, especially if they are small and around all day, you definitely should be paid more :O It's completely unacceptable that you are expected to clean up after the parents, fair play for sticking it out for this long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

It seems to me that the woman you are working for will keep adding more and more work onto you because you are not saying no! Realistically if you are getting so little wages for all the work you are doing it is not worth your while, be one thing if it was family. For your own sanity Id say you should look elsewhere. There is bound to be someone out there just looking for someone just to mind their kids, not be their slave.

And just out of interest she has a childminder and a maid and is a stay at home mom??? What exactly does she do all day?

... Shauna, are you living with the family? less than 6 euro an hour is not a fair deal at all for you, you're also doing far too much for them it seems.

@RoverJames: No James, I dont live with the family.. I live in the city centre and so do they so i just go over the hours they tell me. I think they had an au pair before though. Im on just under 6e an hour.

@ismisebridget: thanks a mill, and i think i will start lookin for somethin new.v
    :)

@run_Forest_run: I thought that myself, they do seem a bit tight and will cut me short sometimes even thought i know they have it.
    You've given some great advice so thanks very much :)

@cadyboo: to be honest she's the ultimate lady of leisure. I have no children but i still have to go home and cook and clean and make sure the house is presentable. She has everyone to do it for her, id imagine its great.

@feels2gd2betrue: thanks. i love the kids i think thats why im doin it. but i think i will look elsewhere now that ive seen its not common to do all of this for such little money. Thank u :)

@PadraigMor: I know the pay is probably normal enough. Should be more though for such hard work.. and im sure your wife would agree. Thanks for your help though :)

Might be worth mentioning to her that you think your wages are not up to scratch and that also housekeeping duties are not part of your scope, they may well recognise the relationship you have with their children and might well when urged to, rethink the overall package.

I tried talking to her and i was actually told if i dont like it i can leave.... so since then, ive had 3 interviews and hopefully will be working for someone new soon :)

I tried talking to her and i was actually told if i dont like it i can leave.... so since then, ive had 3 interviews and hopefully will be working for someone new soon :)

well fair play to you for addressing the issue directly. Wow, she seems like a right piece of work, hopefully you will soon be handing her your notice to leave...and don't let her pressure you into working a long notice period etc.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

well fair play to you for addressing the issue directly. Wow, she seems like a right piece of work, hopefully you will soon be handing her your notice to leave...and don't let her pressure you into working a long notice period etc.
    Good luck.

Good advice there Forest... Shauna owns this woman nothing.

If it was me personally I would finish up after I received my pay packet (after saying goodbye to the kids).

Exploitation is alive and well in Ireland.

She sounds like a horrible, cold-hearted person and the faster you leave that house the better. Her loss, not yours. Fair play for standing up to her. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement