Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road signs! Waste of money??

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Has anybody seen any of the new road signs going up around the county yet? It has been reported on highland radio yesterday about these and today i noticed some of the new signs in Lifford.

They don't seem much different to me except for putting on local road numbers on the signs.

Just seems to me like a big waste of money when they are on about having to make big cuts this budget, maybe there is a very good reason for putting up these new signs but I cant imagine what it is? Maybe someone can enlighten me if they know of one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Haven't seen them, but we do badly need road numbers for directions.
    I regularly have to direct tourists to local places of interest and a huge amount of them comment on badly signposted roads. When they're looking at maps they're quoting road numbers and of course bar the few main routes around me, i haven't a clue what road is what number.
    Don't know if we need new signs for that, but Donegal could do with better sign-age for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

maybe there is a very good reason for putting up these new signs but I cant imagine what it is? Maybe someone can enlighten me if they know of one.

It's so that people can find their way around. Do you feel enlightened? :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Senna wrote: »
    I regularly have to direct tourists to local places of interest and a huge amount of them comment on badly signposted roads. When they're looking at maps they're quoting road numbers and of course bar the few main routes around me, i haven't a clue what road is what number.
    Don't know if we need new signs for that, but Donegal could do with better sign-age for tourists.

+1 certainly need the signs when i'm trying to direct people to my house (take the 3rd identical looking road on the left ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Road numbers annoy me around here, are we the only county that doesn't know them off by heart?

i got stopped opne day by a car full of tipp people (one had a GAA jacket on if you are wondering how i knew!) and was asked is this the two twenty.

of course blank expression from me as my brain runs through every possible option and keep thinking of the aertel ad so i say sorry what, and they just keep repeating themselves over and over.

The two twenty... the Two Twenty... THE TWO TWENTY THE ROAD TWO TWENTY

getting angrier and angrier everytime, when they said the road i figured it was the number and tried to explain that i had no idea and not many people would but where were they looking to go and i'd try and help

Glenveigh National Park they replied, within 10 seconds i had given them better directions and they were away no doubt cursing.

I can understand for things like maintenance and the such raod numbers are probably a good idea but for people vistiting somewhere just say where the frak you are looking for

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I'd say the Roads section of the county council gets a budget and if it's not spent, the budget goes down next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's so that people can find their way around. Do you feel enlightened? :D

Yes I agree that this might help where tourists are concerned, but most people in Donegal very rarely go by road numbers when giving directions maybe just on the N roads occasionally, and some of the signs are being completely changed just to add the L number to a local road and I don't think i have ever heard anyone stating them numbers giving directions.

My point really is when the Country is on its knees and we cant even afford to pay for special needs teachers anymore should we really be spending money on these new road signs which in many instances are very little different to the old ones??

I'd say the Roads section of the county council gets a budget and if it's not spent, the budget goes down next year...

This would explain things a little bit, and the fact we see a lot more road works at the end of the year is probably for this reason as well. But you would wonder why they dont spend the money repairing the dismal state of some of the back roads here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The person who posted this points out it took 6 men 2 days to erect 2 of these pointing to a sparsely populated town land. This was erected on a road where obviously they had no money to fix numerous potholes. Hmmm Priorities ?????
    319182_2313486561328_1374356338_32584925_1595031999_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

danniemcq wrote: »
    Road numbers annoy me around here, are we the only county that doesn't know them off by heart?

i got stopped opne day by a car full of tipp people (one had a GAA jacket on if you are wondering how i knew!) and was asked is this the two twenty.

of course blank expression from me as my brain runs through every possible option and keep thinking of the aertel ad so i say sorry what, and they just keep repeating themselves over and over.

The two twenty... the Two Twenty... THE TWO TWENTY THE ROAD TWO TWENTY

getting angrier and angrier everytime, when they said the road i figured it was the number and tried to explain that i had no idea and not many people would but where were they looking to go and i'd try and help

Glenveigh National Park they replied, within 10 seconds i had given them better directions and they were away no doubt cursing.

I can understand for things like maintenance and the such raod numbers are probably a good idea but for people vistiting somewhere just say where the frak you are looking for

/rant

I bet if you asked someone in Tipp for directions to the 663 they wouldn't know what you were on about either. But if you asked for directions to the glen of aherlow they'd put you on the right direction. In general all over Ireland we don't go by road numbers, only when we have to consult an OSi Map outside of our comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

irish1967 wrote: »
    The person who posted this points out it took 6 men 2 days to erect 2 of these pointing to a sparsely populated town land. This was erected on a road where obviously they had no money to fix numerous potholes. Hmmm Priorities ?????

And these are being erected by private contractors on behalf of the NRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

300406_266207223418484_133578183348056_711111_931191379_n.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the old road signs and the new one replacing it just beside it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They couldn't even use the same set of poles? Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Or the same holes...

Tin of black paint, paint it on, 5e for all the signs :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

muckish wrote: »
    And these are being erected by private contractors on behalf of the NRA.

Who is the contractor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Dont drag this off topic. There are other forums for your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

They did that where I am too. Middle of nowhere with probably about 50 tiny country roads withing a 3km radius and they put a sign at both sides of each and every one of them. Just the L**** no other writing.. total waste of money :/

stacexD wrote: »
    They did that where I am too. Middle of nowhere with probably about 50 tiny country roads withing a 3km radius and they put a sign at both sides of each and every one of them. Just the L**** no other writing.. total waste of money :/

ok where has a swear word in its name? been trying to figure it out all morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    ok where has a swear word in its name? been trying to figure it out all morning

:pac: It's the road name L xxxxx, usually something like L 10457 every road in the Ireland has a name like the N13 / R 254 / L10457 (for the wee local roads) ;)

dammit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Advertisement