Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackheads

• 19-10-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend anything/any way to get rid of blackheads on my nose please?

I use the St.Ive's warming scrub once a week, every day I use a Witch Hazel foaming facial wash or else the With Hazel gentle exfoliating facial wash.

I use the Witch Hazel blemish gel and no moisturiser.

Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Why are you just using the blemish gel? do you use it only on the blemishes? Why have you skipped on your moisturiser? Could you tell me your morning and night routine cleanse and ill try help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

i have t zone pore strips.....very good.

booboo88 wrote: »
    i have t zone pore strips.....very good.

They are good i agree but really blackheads can be avoided totally if you keep up a good skin care routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

tan11ie wrote: »
    Why are you just using the blemish gel? do you use it only on the blemishes? Why have you skipped on your moisturiser? Could you tell me your morning and night routine cleanse and ill try help you.
    I use the blemish gel all over my face as I have spots/blemishes everywhere and I find this really helps them.

I don't use a moisturiser at the moment because I am waiting until I get to to Dublin where I can go to somewhere like Cleary's, Debenham's, BT's etc to have a skin consultation.

I was using Clinique dramatically different but then it started to break me out in spots and made my skin very oily/greasy, so I stopped using it.

I tried a Boots Botanics moisturiser and it also brought me out in spots so I had to stop using it.

My skincare routine is:

Wash my face using either of these Witch Hazel foaming facial wash or the With Hazel gentle exfoliating facial wash.

Witch Hazel blemish gel

Then on the noticable blemishes/spots only, I use the Witch Hazel blemish stick

I don't wear make up unless I am going out anywhere, and when I go wear make up, I wear very, very little.

Once weekly I use the St. Ive's warming scrub. Sometimes I use the Boots Botanics conditioning clay mask, but I don't use it often, maybe once a month.

I wash my face twice daily, I use luke warm water.

• tan11ie wrote: »
    They are good i agree but really blackheads can be avoided totally if you keep up a good skin care routine.

I don't agree with this. I clean my face really well every night, exfoliate regularly, use strips and I STILL have tons of blackheads, because I have oily skin. The only way I can really get rid of them is to squeeze them out.

OP, be careful not to overuse the witch hazel products, you don't want to dry out your skin so it gets even oilier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

You can buy a little tool to remove them in boots and the like but i guess you need to know how to use it properly! internet advice here - http://www.ehow.com/how_4870595_use-blackhead-removal-tool.html
    Best advice would probably be to get a facial and they will do some extractions + give advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I also have the same problem! Will also appreciate everyone's advice... I wash my face everyday with Cetaphil and exfoliate 2-3 times a week. No improvement!

OP, be careful not to overuse the witch hazel products, you don't want to dry out your skin so it gets even oilier!
    Aye I'm worried about this, but again, they are the only products that aren't bringing me out in spots (so far), thankfully no dryness yet (well, no more than usual) would like to get a proper routine going though.

Hopefully will get to Dublin soon.
    kerash wrote: »
    Best advice would probably be to get a facial and they will do some extractions + give advice.
    As much as I'd love a facial I find they are very expensive. Cheapest one in my town (that I know of anyway) is around €70. :eek: I could have a whole set of skincare products for that - and they'd last me more than one use too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I used to have a few around my nose as well. I got a facial though and my nose has been pretty clear ever since.

Your skin care routine looks fine to me so you probably just need a *boost* such as a facial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

[QUOTE=Purple_Bobbin;75030393
    As much as I'd love a facial I find they are very expensive. Cheapest one in my town (that I know of anyway) is around €70. :eek: I could have a whole set of skincare products for that - and they'd last me more than one use too.[/QUOTE]

I only rarely suffer from blackheads...but on the above i could suggest keeping an eye on citydeals/boardsdeals/living social deals for facial offers. I saw one recently on living social for a yonka facial for 30 euro or something similar.

Secondly i go to the dior counter in dundrum for most of my make up and skincare. I love their make up and packaging but also i have sensitive skin and so far dior and eve lom are the only things that not only don't irritate it but improve it. Dior and eve lom do facials where you can pay your x amount and get it back against products. Now dior only require you to pay thirty euro, and so you can get a facial and a mascara for 30 but eve lom its 125. Def the facial i got was more professional in eve lom but all i got there was a cleanser where as i'd get a lot more on dior for that.

The last thing is i use a serum called one essential-dior. I found since i started using it that its cleared up my skin A LOT. And my skin has a much nicer appearance. I would suggest trying that because it has done a lot for my skin. In your case i would ask for a sample, maybe even ring a counter and say i'm going up to you on x day for a consulation but i'm interested in this serum could you post me a sample so i know if i want to get it when i go up? Worth a try?

Good luck anyhow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Aye I'm worried about this, but again, they are the only products that aren't bringing me out in spots (so far), thankfully no dryness yet (well, no more than usual) would like to get a proper routine going though.

Hopefully will get to Dublin soon.

As much as I'd love a facial I find they are very expensive. Cheapest one in my town (that I know of anyway) is around €70. :eek: I could have a whole set of skincare products for that - and they'd last me more than one use too.

Sign up for City Deal/Boards Deals/Living Social/ etc they have almost daily offers for facials and the like. Some of them may be in your area. I have also found that most beauty salons are doing Fab Friday Deals or similar where the offer facials for around €25/30. If you look around you'll get something.

I don't agree with this. I clean my face really well every night, exfoliate regularly, use strips and I STILL have tons of blackheads, because I have oily skin. The only way I can really get rid of them is to squeeze them out.

Ok so you need to squeeze them out when you have them.... yes your correct there, but my point is from then on you aim is to keep the pores tight and clean this in turn will stop black heads. It's a slow process but it is achievable i have many a client come to me with this problem.

I use the blemish gel all over my face as I have spots/blemishes everywhere and I find this really helps them.

You have two separate problems here - The blemishes then the blackheads. The thing is if your using the blemish gel all over your face ie not just on the blemishes then your clogging up the unblemished skin with the gel and it's not needed on these areas (causing blackheads).The gel is only for the spots try and reduce it to just the spots that really need it.
    I don't use a moisturiser at the moment because I am waiting until I get to to Dublin where I can go to somewhere like Cleary's, Debenham's, BT's etc to have a skin consultation.

I highly recommend a consultation.Everyone can give advise as what works for them but it may not be the right product for you. Have you not got a local beauty salon you can pop into?
    I was using Clinique dramatically different but then it started to break me out in spots and made my skin very oily/greasy, so I stopped using it.

I tried a Boots Botanics moisturiser and it also brought me out in spots so I had to stop using it.

The moisturizer would not be able to do it's job because of the blemish gel, so basically the gel and the added moisturizer are just sitting on your skin causing blockage.

My skincare routine is:

Wash my face using either of these Witch Hazel foaming facial wash or the With Hazel gentle exfoliating facial wash.

Do you tone it off after? Stick with the foaming wash for everyday use.

Witch Hazel blemish gel

Then on the noticable blemishes/spots only, I use the Witch Hazel blemish stick.

Could you stick to just using one? I just feel you might be overloading your skin.

I don't wear make up unless I am going out anywhere, and when I go wear make up, I wear very, very little.

Once weekly I use the St. Ive's warming scrub. Sometimes I use the Boots Botanics conditioning clay mask, but I don't use it often, maybe once a month.

Try using a normal gentle exfoliator twice a week.Stop using the warming scrub as the heat will aggravate your spots.

I wash my face twice daily, I use luke warm water

Would you consider switching to a cleanser?

I hope this helps...but again the best advice is to get a consultation. Many people here will say don't waste your money but tbh it's not much to get advice that will last years ;) remember ask your therapist to point you in the direction of less expensive products.There is no need to buy into the products they stock in the salon.

not if you have skin like mine, i use garnier scrub or clean &clear scrub day and night, but my chin and nose are just prone to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I have a good skincare routine and use REN products but also get blackheads all the time. Some peoples skin are just more prone to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

use olive oil to clean those areas

You have two separate problems here - The blemishes then the blackheads. The thing is if your using the blemish gel all over your face ie not just on the blemishes then your clogging up the unblemished skin with the gel and it's not needed on these areas (causing blackheads).The gel is only for the spots try and reduce it to just the spots that really need it.
    The thing is though, I have blemishes all over my face and little small spots too., I find the gel and witch stick really help to keep them down (i;e, stop them from becoming big/red etc).
    I highly recommend a consultation.Everyone can give advise as what works for them but it may not be the right product for you. Have you not got a local beauty salon you can pop into?
    I have been to my local chemists which sells branded skin care (Lancome, Clarin's, Clinique, Esteé Lauder, etc), had consultations and have gotten samples of various products, all of which made my skin sore/red and brought me out in spots. My skin is very problematic and reacts to a lot of products unfortunately, hence why I am not willing to splash out there and then, as I'd need to use a sample over a few days to see if my skin reacts or not.

The Clinique counter have done a skin consultation and have said I have dry-combination skin and are recommending me only one lotion (dramatically different) but as I said earlier, that brings me out in spots so I can't use it.

I also live in a small down and have never seen any Living Social/Boards Deals etc for my town.

The moisturizer would not be able to do it's job because of the blemish gel, so basically the gel and the added moisturizer are just sitting on your skin causing blockage.
    My skincare routine is:

Do you tone it off after? Stick with the foaming wash for everyday use.

Witch Hazel blemish gel

Then on the noticable blemishes/spots only, I use the Witch Hazel blemish stick.

Could you stick to just using one? I just feel you might be overloading your skin.
    Do I tone what off? The gel? No, I leave it on.

Try using a normal gentle exfoliator twice a week.Stop using the warming scrub as the heat will aggravate your spots.[/B]

I wash my face twice daily, I use luke warm water

Would you consider switching to a cleanser?
    I would use a cleanser, but can I still use plain water on my face? I always feel as if my face it dirty/not properly clean if I don't use plain water (or even a facial wash, but I can do without the wash).
    I hope this helps...but again the best advice is to get a consultation. Many people here will say don't waste your money but tbh it's not much to get advice that will last years ;) remember ask your therapist to point you in the direction of less expensive products.There is no need to buy into the products they stock in the salon.
    I will get a consultation, but I need to wait until I get to Dublin or somewhere because as I said above, I've had consultations in my town and have gotten nowhere with them.
    use olive oil to clean those areas
    Use oil on oily skin? I thought you weren't supposed to do that as it will only aggravate the skin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Do I tone what off? The gel? No, I leave it on.

Use oil on oily skin? I thought you weren't supposed to do that as it will only aggravate the skin?

Obviously you wipe the oil away once on the skin for 10 mins.

There are many different types of oil. And of course many different skin types. Try it after a shower when the pores are open. Not gonna kill you :D. Cant be any worse than any of the other chemicals that people reccomend. There is plenty of info through google if you want to check it out.

Plus its very inexpensive and no it wont aggrivate you skin unless you put a match to it lol

Natural remedy :D

jadie wrote: »
    I have a good skincare routine and use REN products but also get blackheads all the time. Some peoples skin are just more prone to them

Yeah oily skin is more prone..that's why it's very important to tone, the pores need to be closed after cleansing.

• Advertisement

Yeah oily skin is more prone..that's why it's very important to tone, the pores need to be closed after cleansing.

or if like me, you have big pores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Its physically impossible to close a pore. Pores are designed to be 'open' so they can sucessfully excrete oil, sweat etc.

All anything can do is temporarily tighten a pore, and even then only very slightly. Closing them is a biological impossibility and very undesirable to boot.:)

Also, you cannot open a pore - you can use hot compresses or steam to soften its contents and make it easier to expel them, and when you do your pore will be less obvious.

A pore completely clogged with a hardened plug of oil, like a blackhead, will be 'stretched' to accommodate it, and smaller when its contents are removed. Pore size varies with the individual.

Giselle wrote: »
    Its physically impossible to close a pore. Pores are designed to be 'open' so they can sucessfully excrete oil, sweat etc.

All anything can do is temporarily tighten a pore, and even then only very slightly. Closing them is a biological impossibility and very undesirable to boot.:)

Also, you cannot open a pore - you can use hot compresses or steam to soften its contents and make it easier to expel them, and when you do your pore will be less obvious.

A pore completely clogged with a hardened plug of oil, like a blackhead, will be 'stretched' to accommodate it, and smaller when its contents are removed. Pore size varies with the individual.

lol sorry I rephrase that as tighten,it's just the wording I use...I'm sure everyone is aware what pores is and it's function.

The aim is to keep pores clean and tight :)

• tan11ie wrote: »
    Ok so you need to squeeze them out when you have them.... yes your correct there, but my point is from then on you aim is to keep the pores tight and clean this in turn will stop black heads. It's a slow process but it is achievable i have many a client come to me with this problem.

But I can't keep my pores tight and clean. They're naturally big and my skin is naturally oily. I can use toner to help tighten the pores, but I use it more than a few days a week, my skin gets dry and sore in some parts and then produces even more oil, so it's a vicious circle.
    Obviously you wipe the oil away once on the skin for 10 mins.

There are many different types of oil. And of course many different skin types. Try it after a shower when the pores are open. Not gonna kill you :D. Cant be any worse than any of the other chemicals that people reccomend. There is plenty of info through google if you want to check it out.

Plus its very inexpensive and no it wont aggrivate you skin unless you put a match to it lol

Natural remedy :D

Olive oil is a disaster for oily skin. I have to put it in my ears from time to time and even the little bit that drips out onto my cheeks causes spots for me.

OP, I don't want to be seen to be giving you medical advice, but have you seen your GP about your skin? It could well be a hormonal issue - I know in my case, there's only so much I can do with face washes and blackhead strips. My skin clears up almost completely when I go on the pill (I'm off it now for medical tests) and I don't have to do anything but wash with plain water.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

slowmoe wrote: »
    Secondly i go to the dior counter in dundrum for most of my make up and skincare. I love their make up and packaging but also i have sensitive skin and so far dior and eve lom are the only things that not only don't irritate it but improve it. Dior and eve lom do facials where you can pay your x amount and get it back against products. Now dior only require you to pay thirty euro, and so you can get a facial and a mascara for 30 but eve lom its 125. Def the facial i got was more professional in eve lom but all i got there was a cleanser where as i'd get a lot more on dior for that!!

Where do you get the Eve Lom facials Slowmoe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Oh god, getting blackheads squeezed is so sore >.< Since I've been using Dermalogica stuff I've noticed that I have a lot less on my nose! It is dear stuff, but you can get starter packs that have cleanser/toner/moisturiser/scrub minis in them. They're usually around €25-30 (I got a student discount on mine in the salon, so ask for one if you're a student!). The minis last for ages too! Got mine in August, and they're just about finished now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I find Acnecide 5% to be good, be careful when using it as it will bleach hair and clothes.

Advertisement