Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to study??

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've tried studying in the library which is fine in the morning and evening, but it gets fairly packed during the day. I was wondering if there's anywhere better to study on campus??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Upstairs in the Health Sciences Library can be good. Very high roof, never feels crowded, though I can't guarantee you'll get a desk.

If you're adventurous, head up to Newstead and try one of the downstairs rooms. Apart from the occasional lecture, they're generally quiet.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, do you need to study with a laptop or not?

Health Sciences is good for if you have a laptop - the proportion of desks with plug access is much higher than the JJ Library. However, up the top, it can be a bit noisy at times, as the design of the building means that sound seems to be reverberated quite loudly. Also, I can never seem to find toilets inside the Health Science Library, I usually have to go out of the library to go to the toilet - same for filling up water.

If you don't need a laptop, then the JJ Library is best, just pick anywhere. The Quiet study area (No electronic devices, including laptop, phone, mp3 player, etc allowed) is great, very quiet and no groups of girls having loud whispered banter instead of studying - the main one is at the very back left of the 2nd floor (facing towards Belgrove Residence, furthest away from the lake), and there's another 'Quiet Study Area' on the 3rd floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Upstairs in the Health Sciences Library can be good. Very high roof, never feels crowded, though I can't guarantee you'll get a desk.

Feels crowded whenever people are studying for their stupid anatomy exams by staring at pictures aimlessly. And during exams. Also very cold. Middle floor is warmer but people walk by all the time.

JJ was by far the best place to study for me especially during first two years. Especially a few secret places where there are only a few tables surrounded by either walls or shelves of books. Also sitting near the radiator during winter helps a bit.
    Health Science library was ok whenever I needed to study but so were computer labs.

There are odd places in buildings that are used for study like a couple rooms in C wing in Health Science. They have a few macs in them and whenever there are no presentations or whatever, people just study in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Top floor of JJ always. I sat around studious science people and tried to hide my English books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Richview Library is by far the best place to study, outside of exam periods anyway, far sounder librarians than JJ as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement