Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty finding volunteer work as qualified psychotherapist...

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello fellow boardies

I just wanted to find out if anyone might have any leads or opportunities volunteering as a counsellor? Im a qualified Psychotherapist/counsellor and im having unbelievable difficulty finding voluntary (never mind paid!) work as a psychotherapist in Dublin South or Kildare, i live in naas. Id really like to work up hours towards accreditation and work in the local community and i would have thought that with all the talk about mental health and the recession that organisations, schools or even local community groups etc would be crying out for volunteer therapists but im not hearing back from anyone i contact and ive contacted about 25 organisations already.

Could anyone offer any advice? :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

im sure the Dublin Simon Community wouldnt turn ya down though would be a bit of a travel for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Maybe its seen as a conflict of interest ? Maybe a risk to push your own agenda ?/ take advantage of the vunerable people in term of trying to recruit clients / pushing a type of treatment method /advocating certain medicines . The risk probably isnt that high but as the vast majority of therapist are ethical but a small negligent risk on people with mental health issues can have serious consequences . I say theres probably legal/insurance issues here too.
    Fairplay to you though offering up your professional services bona fide

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

What about Childline or the other telephone support groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

sadie9 wrote: »
    What about Childline or the other telephone support groups?

Have you tried Saint Vicent De Paul? they work in the volunteer business I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sherrybomb

Hi Leihlalily,

A women's therapy centre is looking for qualified psychotherapists for volunteer work! It's in Dublin 2, here's a link with some info:

http://www.volunteerdlr.ie/index.php/volunteers/search-for-opportunities

Good luck :)

EDIT: I dont think that link works, so when you get to the page just click on 'Category' and choose 'social work'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Seres wrote: »
    Maybe its seen as a conflict of interest ? Maybe a risk to push your own agenda ?/ take advantage of the vunerable people in term of trying to recruit clients / pushing a type of treatment method /advocating certain medicines . The risk probably isnt that high but as the vast majority of therapist are ethical but a small negligent risk on people with mental health issues can have serious consequences . I say theres probably legal/insurance issues here too.
    Fairplay to you though offering up your professional services bona fide

Good point - also,people groups dealing with vulnerable people may be reluctant to have inexperienced therapists working with the people thay deal with.

Advertisement