Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Reviews! = poor game perhaps ?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Well I find it very odd there's no reviews for the game as of yet.

Are EA up to something ???

I'm still unsure should I preorder the game! as I feel there's alot of hype!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Embargo lifts on Friday from what I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭12weeks12miles

Nice one! im going to hold off ordering it, I have a bad feeling about it all!! ahhahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Embargo goes friday 4(6) days before game launches.

im gonna go with 9.2 on gamersrankings average after 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I enjoyed the beta especially Caspian Border 64 player awesomeness, thats review enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭12weeks12miles

will there be 64 player matches on ps3 i wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Nearly all big releases these days embargo the reviews until a few days before.
    Even Batman released this week had the reviews only come out a few days earlier and it is getting acclaimed.
    Not worried at all for BF3, will be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

No 64 for PS3.
    Think it is limited to 24 or 32 on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Apparently, EA are blocking early reviews as the initial release is going to be patched straight away and they don't want any reviewers getting the wrong impression if they are given access to a pre-patch version. Sounds like they are trying to squeeze a few extra bits in (commo rose?) and iron out a few more bugs from the beta.

On the other hand, some Norwegian reviewers were prevented from getting their hands on any BF3 review copies if they had previously given out poor scores to other Battlefield games. Sound like the EA Gestapo are out in full force.

Story here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/19/ea-asks-for-reviewers-gaming-history

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MayoForSam wrote: »
    On the other hand, some Norwegian reviewers were prevented from getting their hands on any BF3 review copies if they had previously given out poor scores to other Battlefield games. Sound like the EA Gestapo are out in full force.

Story here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/19/ea-asks-for-reviewers-gaming-history

Getting a review copy is not a god given right, if it's not going to sell more games then there's no point in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very happy with the 64 player games i had on Caspian. No review will change my mind on buying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Lots of Battlefield moments had during the beta. After that nothing could dissuade me from buying the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I would hazard a guess that regardless of EA's position most mainstream reviews will still give a fairly high score mostly because the amount of pre release acclaim they've given the game (eurogamer gave them a glass trophy for best game at gamescom for god's sake) as the launch trailer states, they won over 60 awards and it isnt out yet.

Come release and its a sub standard game a lot of people will question those awards, especially if they were given at events where other more successful titles had a presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Yes ea actually haven't a game, all there is is a start screen and 2 demo levels. They'll charge full price and then close business thus completing the most effective scam in gaming history.

That or it's an embargo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the hold up on reviews is because there's a zero day patch that ea have embargoed reviews until

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ign score

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

KilOit wrote: »
    Ign score

blunder of the century

IGN video review on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/IGNentertainment#p/u/0/AacqQWurFqg

Dont think I'll bother with the campaign, looks a bit like the MoH single player.
    MP FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Losing points for the campaign!

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well if people are going to compare it to modern warfare, i think its fair they compare the campaign too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

14 reviews on Metacritic so far, 93% average: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-3/critic-reviews

In some ways, BF3 might be scoring higher if it wasn't for the pretty generic SP campaign, whereas the vast majority will be buying this for the MP. A pure MP game might have alienated a minority but extra resources could have been assigned to the MP to buff it up even more. Ah well, we are where we are. The SP will be but a distant memory when the MP is still going strong months from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I wonder why Gamereactor Sweden only gave it 80 when the rest of the reviews were 90+

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gametrailers review really seems the most detailed overall. Though they make a mistake here and there (no boats...well there are!) but they actually go into some detail on the + and - of each mode and make co-op sound a lot more exciting then any of the other reviews.

I originally had no expectations for SP and the launch trailer changed that. Going back to having no expectations is fine by me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Single player for me is just a bonus, not anywhere near the real attraction, i havent even finished BC2 single player and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Wait, Battlefield has a single player mode!? I think I played 3 hours of BC2 SP and over 200 hours of multiplayer. I don't see the point in docking score for the SP – nobody buys BF for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

grizzly wrote: »
    Wait, Battlefield has a single player mode!? I think I played 3 hours of BC2 SP and over 200 hours of multiplayer. I don't see the point in docking score for the SP – nobody buys BF for it.

Doesn't matter..EA are heavily hyping the SP mode in BF3 as well to entice in the COD players so reviewers are quite entitled to dock points for a poor SP campaign.
    I'm still very on the fence on this one...Since I love flying and it basically sucked in the beta I'm not feeling very optimistic on it...EA lied to our faces saying Jets/Choppers were the same as BF2 when they knew damn well they weren't and based on BC2...
    I'll still play it on the ground but I'm pretty sure this game will never be as good as BF2...over 700 hours and counting..
    Hopefully I'm wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

If DICE built in a SP mode and a CO-OP mode, then they deserve to be reviewed on that also.

The reviews we've seen so far appear to point a out a mediocre, almost 'on rails' shooter, (when compared to the vast BF MP experience), which will lose DICE points and score in reviews.

As a BF player, I don't buy BF games for SP, however, there are those who will and reviews need to be impartial enough to let them know what they're getting themselves into.

Again, as a BF player, I *know* firsthand some of the teething problems BF games have had on release and I know this will be no different. Already, I'm concerned about a handful of bugs from the beta carrying across to the retail version, especially the client side hit detection issue.

I also know that they will do what they can, within reason, to make BF3 a lasting, fun multiplayer experience, to that end, I've seen DICE deliver before to fix major bugs with their games and I expect no different from them this time around.

As long as the game provides a fun, *pure* BF experience, (we always refer to Battlefield 'moments', that glorious piece of gameplay that gives you a rush of adrenalin/self satisfaction), I think most of us will be happy with our purchase.

In an age where every PC game developer seems to release a game and need a day one patch, I think DICE have shown that they do support their games as well as any developer can and still remain commercialy viable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

6 of the weapon unlocks are from co-op only, so there'll be more playing than most expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

After readong several online reviews of the pc version of the game, I couldnt care less that the final score may have been marked down due to a linear single player mode. I have absolutely zero interest in playing single player, I wont even load it up. I never do with these games. The multiplayer experience is what its all about and thats where you shall find me.

Absolutely awesome game and the hype is becoming incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Spear wrote: »
    6 of the weapon unlocks are from co-op only, so there'll be more playing than most expect.
    I was just wondering that actually, it was handy in BC2 to get unlocks via single player campaign, do you have a link to a list?

I'll be playing through all the BF3 single player anyway, I wouldn't be paying €50 for online only and of course for the achievements :D

Advertisement