Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Solution Outside

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Im looking to link 2 buildings together, these are only 20 meters away max with 100% line of sight

I just need to share the DSL between both buildings, What kind of equipment will I need to make this work also equipment that will with hold the cold winters

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

An ordinary wireless router by a window in building one and another in bridge mode by a window in building 2 (facing the one in building 1) should suffice.

However unless there is just concrete between the buildings or its an upper floor to an upper floor or you don't own the land between a cat5 cable inside a length of water pipe in a shallow trench would be a much better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭tech

im afriad no windows with this setp and cable isint an option :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hey have you used these pipe yokes before? are they good ?? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, they're very good, an affordable professional solution. You'll find a cheap as chips solution on Ebay that may or may not work, these I can guarantee you will. I have used lots of Ubiquiti gear, Nanostations, M5's, highly recommend them

• Advertisement

do i just plug 1 into the Eircom Neopia? and then what do i do with 2nd one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

tech wrote: »
    hey have you used these pipe yokes before? are they good ?? thanks

Yes they'll do the job comfortably (and will also work up to several KM just in case you ever have to move either building further away) but they'll need to be wall-mounted externally on a bracket with a CAT5 cable connected via hole in the external wall.

do they need to be configured ?

do they need to be configured ?

Oh yes ;)

Wi-Pipe will help you if you're stuck though.

is there much to it? or do you know?

• Advertisement

is there much to it? or do you know?

It's a well travelled road and is documented. If you're anyway handy at networks then you'll manage it. If you're not so hot at networks then you'll still manage it (but only after going quite insane first). It'll all make perfect sense once you've figured it out ;)

ahh coolio ! thanks are they reliable ?? and can tey withstand the irish weather??

ahh coolio ! thanks are they reliable ?? and can tey withstand the irish weather??

Yes as long as you mount them correctly (on the wall that is) then they'll be still there working long after you're gone.

is this the best hardware to use ? or is there other options before I commit thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Ya those are best or you can try these http://www.irishwireless.net/102-engenius-eoc-2611p-wireless-80211-abg-outdoor-apclient-bridge.html All these products have a very narrow transmit beam so the signal is concentrated to on point so you get very good signal at the range you are looking for. But dont be tempted to put the two APs up and put the power to Max start low and increase as you need

Advertisement