Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed camera etiquette

• 19-10-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I saw one of those mobile speed cameras tonight and I was wondering whats the best way to warn oncoming traffic of its presence?

I suppose this might be better in the Motorists forum but I feel this might be a bit more general and probably could apply to non car enthusiasts too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Burn it out is the only way to be sure its dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Depends which way the van is facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its a private speed camera, you are well entitled in your right to warn oncoming motorists but in my case I wouldn't warn drivers who are booting along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Drive into it, but jump out before the impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

gurramok wrote: »
    Its a private speed camera, you are well entitled in your right to warn oncoming motorists but in my case I wouldn't warn drivers who are booting along!

That kind of defeats the purpose as there's not much point in warning drivers who are driving slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

gurramok wrote: »

I'm the total opposite, I only warn the ones that are speeding.
    These go safe vans are supposed to be visible not hiding like some of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That kind of defeats the purpose as there's not much point in warning drivers who are driving slowly.

Just in case they put the foot down! Lets say i'm doing the job of slowing drivers down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Would be humerous to see an entire row of traffic with their hazard lights switched on to warn oncoming traffic over a speeding camera

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Get yourself one of these!

• Advertisement

Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

stand in the middle of the road and point and shout usually works

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

flashing oncoming traffic is how I'd go about it. Looked in the rear view mirror and could see the break lights of the cars i flashed illuminating...so obviously works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

donutface wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I saw one of those mobile speed cameras tonight and I was wondering whats the best way to warn oncoming traffic of its presence?

I suppose this might be better in the Motorists forum but I feel this might be a bit more general and probably could apply to non car enthusiasts too.

You should put signs all along the road tellingthem what the speed limit is. Maybe use a white backround and red border. That way they'll never get caught cos they'll know what speed they should be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A Garda van was parked up on the quays this evening. A fella in a Guinness truck a few cars ahead of us had his arm out the cab window motioning the traffic behind him to slow down, all you could hear was the screeching of breaks as people realized what he was signalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Fcuk em, shouldn't be speeding in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Full.Duck wrote: »

Do you drive a Yaris?

Don't be like that, have you never broken the speed limit?

A Garda van was parked up on the quays this evening. A fella in a Guinness truck a few cars ahead of us had his arm out the cab window motioning the traffic behind him to slow down, all you could hear was the screeching of breaks as people realized what he was signalling.

The guinness man with the deft right hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Flash both sides as these vans picture both sides of the road...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

donutface wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Oh good idea, warn somebody who is speeding that there is a camera ahead so they don't learn their lesson and kill another on our roads. Just hope it's not somebody you know or love OP.

If somebody is speeding and they get caught, that's just tough shít...

It's illegal to warn people. One law that has a real purpose.

cup of tea wrote: »
    Do you drive a Yaris?

What does speeding have to do with what type of car i have? If your that intrigued i have a crappy 96 polo because i cant afford to be a cnut in a audi.

Its fun though, d1ckheads drive right up your arse because you have a worse car and they think they own the road. Usually just slow down to p1ss them off even more.

Without a doubt speeding kills. No i dont speed, common sense not to be a d1ckhead driving around a ton of metal at high speeds.

Oh good idea, warn somebody who is speeding that there is a camera ahead so they don't learn their lesson and kill another on our roads. Just hope it's not somebody you know or love OP.

Did you ever go over the speed limit? Ever?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Flash both sides as these vans picture both sides of the road...
    How would you flash your lights at drivers on both sides of the road in order to warn them of the Talivan?

Try this! :D

Not sure if the vans will flash though!

Or even better tie it to the back of a tram!

Define speeding, 10km's over the limit is not serious speeding.
    everyone goes over the limit at some stage.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Did you ever go over the speed limit? Ever?

Typical weak response. I swear, I didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

Are you in agreement with speeding and wreckless/dangerous driving?

hondasam wrote: »

Definitely. I agree. There's getting done for 10K over the limit which sucks and then there fools doing 80K in a 50K zone. Speed on the motorway all you want, in a build up area it's not on. Speeding on back roads is also idiotic.

Most do it full in the knowledge that the may be caught and get a fine and points. I go over the speed limit, thats my choice. I will not piss and moan about getting caught though or aid others in avoiding getting caught for the choices they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Don't be like that, have you never broken the speed limit?

In general, speed limits on roads are reasonable. We all know brutally managed lengths of road, but usually they're appropriate for the road and area.

If you want to speed, don't be a whiney little bitch about speed cameras. Being a whiney little bitch includes 'warning' others. If you're willing to drive over the speed limit, you should be willing to live with the consequences - be that a fine, an accident or nothing at all.

****ing whiney bitches.

It doesnt matter if it is "serious" speeding. The reason there are speed limits is usually because there are minor roads coming on to major roads, some can be around a corner.

Ie, If your are doing 90km in a 80km zone, a guy coming out of his house expecting someone to be doing 80km thinking he has enough time if he looks down the road and at the corner then pulls out. If your doing 90km means you have less time to break and and more of a chance of smashing into him

Typical weak response. I swear, I didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

No, but im not in agreement with these vans catching people "speeding" at 6 or 7km an hour over the limit either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Moriarty wrote: »
    In general, speed limits on roads are reasonable. We all know brutally managed lengths of road, but usually they're appropriate for the road and area.
    Many speed limits along major urban routes (e.g. the N4 around Lucan) has a speed limit set, not for safety reasons, but to fit an optimum amount of traffic flow.

Speeding on back roads is also idiotic.

Yep! bits of car often litter the bends where I live, no need for any speed camera here.
    We're on the "alternative route" out of town, often used late at night by drunks dodging the checkpoints on the other roads, the bends sort them out!

kbannon wrote: »
    Many speed limits along major urban routes (e.g. the N4 around Lucan) has a speed limit set, not for safety reasons, but to fit an optimum amount of traffic flow.

The M50 is the same, usually during peak times you can't get up to the limit.

• Advertisement

No, but im not in agreement with these vans catching people "speeding" at 6 or 7km an hour over the limit either.

6 or 7 km over which limit? 30? 50? 80? 100? 6 over 30 is 20% over the limit, but its only 6% over 100, big difference. Even if someone did get a ticket for 106, which I've never seen proof of, they probably thought they were doing 115-120 by their speedo so they didnt just creep over 100 by mistake for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Wreckless sounds good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

But it doesn't work. Any time I'm doddling along the N4, I'm normally doing 80-90km/h in Lane 1, with people overtaking the people overtaking me.

Same with the M1 inbound from Lissenhall.

There's the school of thought that says the limits should be higher, then the school that says they can't be because of all the lane changes. Really, what's needed in some of these places is lane limits.

For example on the M1 after the airport Junction, where there are 5 lanes:

Lane1.Lane2.Lane3.Lane4.Lane 5
    M50....M50....N32....CITY....CITY
    80.... ..80......80.....100....100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

The gardai / traffic corps normally give a leeway of 10% plus 3 mph on the limit, though they can be flexible either way depending if your nice or a plonker to em.

I read recently they plan on decriminalising speeding on motorways in the uk ...

How would you flash your lights at drivers on both sides of the road in order to warn them of the Talivan?

lost in Translation kbannon: I meant if the gosafe is situated on either side of the road (my side or the opposite side) I flash the oncoming traffic as they cover both directions ;)

• Advertisement

Go safe vans are there to make money, they are well placed in areas where they will catch the most drivers.
    Having them out at 7am is to catch people going to work. I will always warn drivers.
    The purpose of these was to make roads safer not to generate revenue.

Go safe vans are there to make money, they are well placed in areas where they will catch the most drivers.
    Having them out at 7am is to catch people going to work. I will always warn drivers.
    The purpose of these was to make roads safer not to generate revenue.

In fairness they are paid by hour.....but I've seen them lie on the safest road in Cavan FFS on a Friday evening :rolleyes: ...I suppose the state needs numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What does speeding have to do with what type of car i have? If your that intrigued i have a crappy 96 polo because i cant afford to be a cnut in a audi.

Its fun though, d1ckheads drive right up your arse because you have a worse car and they think they own the road. Usually just slow down to p1ss them off even more.

Without a doubt speeding kills. No i dont speed, common sense not to be a d1ckhead driving around a ton of metal at high speeds.

Driving slow to piss off the tailgater behind you is just as immature and can cause accidents. I'm not saying I haven't done it, I've sped too. I also flash my lights at drivers to warn them too.

I don't like getting in a car with someone who drives too fast or too slow but I'd take either over someone who doesn't give the road the attention it deserves and I've sat beside a lot more of them.

Most do it full in the knowledge that the may be caught and get a fine and points. I go over the speed limit, thats my choice. I will not piss and moan about getting caught though or aid others in avoiding getting caught for the choices they make.

Well if you are speeding and you hit a child and kill him/her, you may be in some serious shít. Depending on what sped you are going.
    Moriarty wrote: »

If you want to speed, don't be a whiney little bitch about speed cameras. Being a whiney little bitch includes 'warning' others. If you're willing to drive over the speed limit, you should be willing to live with the consequences - be that a fine, an accident or nothing at all.

****ing whiney bitches.

There's lenghts of roads where the speed limits are insane. Not sure what the reason for them either.

Another consequence is killing somebody. Don't think I could live with that.

Me neither.

Would never flash people to warn them. I see a lot of lunatics on the road and they need to learn a lesson. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

cup of tea wrote: »
    Do you drive a Yaris?

Probably a Micra driver actually.

Probably a Micra driver actually.

Obviously didnt read the thread then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Usually just slow down to p1ss them off even more.

This should be an offence punishable with about 36 penalty points.
    i have a crappy 96 polo because i cant afford to be a cnut in a audi.

Envy. One of the Seven Deadly Sins.

You should get an automatic 6 penalty points on your licence when you buy a Yaris.

6 or 7 km over which limit? 30? 50? 80? 100? 6 over 30 is 20% over the limit, but its only 6% over 100, big difference. Even if someone did get a ticket for 106, which I've never seen proof of, they probably thought they were doing 115-120 by their speedo so they didnt just creep over 100 by mistake for a second.

10kph is 100% over 5kph, so does this 100% mean 10kph is wreckless and dangerous compared to 5kph?

The gosafe vans register drivers going at 9kph over the limit, but i would say it can happen by accident. A driver wont be fixated to the speedo all the time and could quite easily go over 89kph in an 80 zone, or 59 in a 50 zone without noticing, without being anything like a dangerous wreckless driver.

Duiske wrote: »
    This should be an offence punishable with about 36 penalty points.

Envy. One of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Driving up someones arse is 100 times more dangerouse, you dont have time to break.

As for envy, my car cost me 800e, low tax and low insurance, uses hardly any fuel and gets me from a to b. Never had any problems, hardly any maintainence. Perfect car for my needs, i have no need to go out and buy an audi. Ive saved a bucket load and its a safe reliable car.

Why the hell would i go buy and audi that costs me a couple of grand? Makes no sense for my situation. So get off your high horse and thanks for making my statment true that audi drivers are cnuts

• Advertisement
Advertisement