Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed camera etiquette

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

robbie7730 wrote: »
    10kph is 100% over 5kph, so does this 100% mean 10kph is wreckless and dangerous compared to 5kph?

The gosafe vans register drivers going at 9kph over the limit, but i would say it can happen by accident. A driver wont be fixated to the speedo all the time and could quite easily go over 89kph in an 80 zone, or 59 in a 50 zone without noticing, without being anything like a dangerous wreckless driver.

Your opening lacks any sence of logic. 5K or 10K is reckelss regardless of comparison.

Where should they draw the line? 15K over the limit? The limit is the limit, at least there is some leniancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What's the hatred for audi drivers and they cost more than a few thousand btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

hondasam wrote: »
    What's the hatred for audi drivers and they cost more than a few thousand btw.

Why waste the money. To me it makes no sense. Also the lights, cant stand em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Why waste the money. To me it makes no sense. Also the lights, cant stand em.

Ah the lights, you cannot go anywhere in the dark without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

It just annoys me, in my personal opinion, that most "high end" cars seem to think that they have more right on the road than you. Which in my experience has mostly been audi drivers. The lights constantly blind you in the newer version ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Typical weak response. I swear, I didn't see that one coming :rolleyes:

Are you in agreement with speeding and wreckless/dangerous driving?

Are "speeding" and "wreckless/dangerous driving" the same thing? If I'm doing 95mph on the M7 I'm speeding, however is it wreckless or dangerous? I am of the opinion that it's not. It doesn't even have to be 95mph, say 85mph, definitely not wreckless, yet I will still be punished with 2 points and an €80 fine. Will it make me stop driving on the motorway at 85mph? No.

Speed is dangerous if it's abused, there's a dual carriageway in Cork and the Gardai wait at the end of it when you come around the corner (Lower Glanmire Rd, by Tivoli) the limit changes to 60km/h and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. They're not trying to save lives, they're simply collecting soft money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your opening lacks any sence of logic. 5K or 10K is reckelss regardless of comparison.

Where should they draw the line? 15K over the limit? The limit is the limit, at least there is some leniancy.

My opening says 10kph (actual speed) is 100% faster than 5kph (actual speed). A poster said 36kph is 20% over limit where as 106 is 6%, to show 20% is a big difference, even though they are both 6kph over limit, so i show that percentages can be meaningless here.

Gosafe speed vans dont operate on percentage either,
    They register 9kph over limit.
    30 = 39 and your caught
    50 = 59 .......
    80 = 89 etc, so percentages dont come into it there either. Its at 9kph over limit they register. Hows that logic now?

If you believe 5kph above the limit is wreckless and dangerous, then i will leave you to your logic. Them vans are a revenue device as much as anything else. I think speeding lunatics should be banned etc, but the majority of drivers paying fines and getting points are not dangerous lunatics, unless of course you really do believe 5k over the limit is wreckless. Its hard to believe 125kph on a motorway is wreckless while 120kph is safe.

It's only wreckless if youi dont crash! :pac:

Reckless driving on the other hand, turns a wreckless car owner into a wrecked car owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You can't really get upset with users who assume you drive a Yaris because you don't speed and slow down to irritate idiot tailgaters and then go on and tar all Audi drivers with the one brush.

Well you can, but you shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't even start on the Irish begrudgery of different car brands. People take pleasure in saying a Merc/BMW/Audi/RR cut them up or didn't use indicators, when in fact the road by a high majority is littered with VWs/Fords/Hyundasi/Toyotas/Mazdas making a balls of driving every day of the week.

We're all human, whether you're poor, middling or wealthy doesn't effect your driving; just take it for granted that most Irish people can't drive for shít anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Isn't there some EU rule that allows you go 5-10% over the limit and not get in trouble or face a fine or conviction?

Isn't there some EU rule that allows you go 5-10% over the limit and not get in trouble or face a fine or conviction?

Don't know about that, but if the limit was strictly imposed, there would be a risk of overloading the court system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im almost positive they allow 10%-to allow for the calibration of the speedometer or something.
    A quick flash of headlights to warn oncoming traffic about the sneaky hidden ones is nice. Theres someroads where the speed limit is stupidly low-they're just a cash cow. I wouldnt warn someone driving dangerously fast though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think that might be more of a common sense approach in other countries. A Scottish traffic cop friend of mine said they used 10 MPH plus 10% over the limit as their cut off point in good driving conditions ( it might have been 10% plus 10 MPH, can't remember which way)
    Tailgating / stupid overtaking however was not tolerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think its best to drive right up the arse of the car in front that way speed cameras wont get your plate.

edit: noticed this seems a serious conversation, im only joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Do speed camera operators think "ching ching ching" like a slot machine noise while there working? I know they're paid by the hour regardless but you may as well enjoy your job.

I always flash when I see them because where the speed camera is on the drogheda balbriggan road the speed limit is 80K and the average speed of the flow of traffic is more then that. Its just shooting fish in a barrel.

Personally I think that traveling with the flow of traffic is more safe then being the slow cnut who has 50 cars backed up behind them because they are sitting on their high horse.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There isn't a rule like this as it would be daft. What would be the point in having the posted limit then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

there is a rule like that, you dont get ticketed for 83 in an 80 zone for example due to the known and accepted 10% inaccuracy of mechanical speedos.

There is not an EU rule that allows people to exceed the posted speed limit. If the gardai use some discretion when deciding what minimum speed to catch people at then that is their decision but it is discretion. If you are aware of something that I am not, then please provide a source to the particular piece of legislation.
    There is something from the EU that stipulates that speedos cannot over read (and therefore most under read the speed limit).

Also many people have been done for 82 or 03 in an 80 zone. For most, if your speedo reads 80, you are possibly doing 75. So someone caught doing 83 may have had a speedo reading of about 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I always slow down when I'm doing the speed limit and a car is tailgating me because:

1) the slower we go the lesser the chance of him ending up sitting on my knee in the front seat if we meet an unexpected hazard

2) I get a sporting kick out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I always slow down when I'm doing the speed limit and a car is tailgating me because:

1) the slower we go the lesser the chance of him ending up sitting on my knee in the front seat if we meet an unexpected hazard

Why not just pull in? Think your being as dangerous as they are. If someones gonna be a tool let them off dont bother trying to piss them off as it could lead to an accident.

I always think someone doing that to me (and i normally drive at the limit) could well end up trying to overtake me at a dangerous spot causing injury to themselves / me / someone else.
    Im often in a queue of slow moving traffic with someone up ahead and you so often see people taking stupid risks to pass them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just curious - is there any reason why someone couldn't park directly behind the rear of a go-safe van ?

if they can park up on the side of the road - there's no reason why an ordinary punter cant ...is there ?

As for their ability to catch speeders both ways I would be sceptical .... they would be shooting through either the front window or a side window(driver/passenger) which would give inaccurate results given that the glass or angle of position for camera would be unlevel and could not give consistant results.

(in the same way that taking a photograph with an ordinary camera through the windscreen is not the same as taking a photo through a flat back window - image will appear distorted)

Anyway - just my two cents.

if its not safe to park at the rear of a "go-safe" van ... is there anything in law which stops you from standing near the rear window ? (I assume they have to be on a public road)

The only thing I can think of is that they are acting on behalf of the Gardai - but this is a grey area - who's to say that anyone can video someone dangerously driving and give the video to the Gardai for a prosecution, do the "go-safe" vans generate money for the Gardai or simply provide them with a picture, I spotted a picture last week on facebook - a Go-safe van clamped !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Don't even start on the Irish begrudgery of different car brands. People take pleasure in saying a Merc/BMW/Audi/RR cut them up or didn't use indicators, when in fact the road by a high majority is littered with VWs/Fords/Hyundasi/Toyotas/Mazdas making a balls of driving every day of the week.

We're all human, whether you're poor, middling or wealthy doesn't effect your driving; just take it for granted that most Irish people can't drive for shít anyways.

I dunno, if your a hard nosed business head that might reflect in your approach to driving, and choice of car. It might Psychology rather than begrudgery.

Likewise with the Psychology of speeding enforcement. Put inappropriate limits in inappropriate places then with little enforcement people will ignore them. Same with placing speed checks and camera's where there is no danger, people just get annoyed with it. Though its does raise the general awareness, I don't think it actually educates people. As too often the speed limits are inappropriate for the location.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Why not just pull in? Think your being as dangerous as they are. If someones gonna be a tool let them off dont bother trying to piss them off as it could lead to an accident.

I always think someone doing that to me (and i normally drive at the limit) could well end up trying to overtake me at a dangerous spot causing injury to themselves / me / someone else.
    Im often in a queue of slow moving traffic with someone up ahead and you so often see people taking stupid risks to pass them out.

You mean slow down from 100K to a stop, (when I find a safe space to pull in), so to let the tailgating car by, and then pull out when a get a break in traffic to carry on my merry way?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Oh good idea, warn somebody who is speeding that there is a camera ahead so they don't learn their lesson and kill another on our roads. Just hope it's not somebody you know or love OP.

If somebody is speeding and they get caught, that's just tough shít...

It's illegal to warn people. One law that has a real purpose.
    Aren't these GoSafe vans meant to be seen? Is that not why they have a location map on garda.ie?

Can't see how it would be illegal to warn other motorists when their regular locations are advertised for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why would I risk getting caught warning people about a speed camera? If they want to break the law, that's their concern.

Not really. You'll just annoy them to the point of a) following you and battering you b) overtaking you suddenly in anger and causing a accident c) belting into you if you have to stop suddenly causing you to get whiplash and assuming that the person behind you will pay for your car damage or is even insured

Mug's game, in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Reckless.

Brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Some speed limit are really stupid. Condell road in Limerick, good for 80kph anyway. but they limit it to 50. its actually painful to drive on, and they often have a speed camera van there :mad:

I reckon it's a clever ploy to get people to use the tunnel. bastards

stovelid wrote: »
    Why would I risk getting caught warning people about a speed camera? If they want to break the law, that's their concern.

Not really. You'll just annoy them to the point of a) following you and battering you b) overtaking you suddenly in anger and causing a accident c) belting into you if you have to stop suddenly causing you to get whiplash and assuming that the person behind you will pay for your car damage or is even insured

Mug's game, in other words.

My point is that if I slow down this won't happen. I'm not talking about slamming the brakes, just cruising down to what I judge to be a safe stopping speed for the distance between the 2 cars. The safety of my backseat passengers are my responsibility.

You mean slow down from 100K to a stop, (when I find a safe space to pull in), so to let the tailgating car by, and then pull out when a get a break in traffic to carry on my merry way?

I don't think so.

Over egging the yoke a bit aren't we. Ok if its a tight road with no overtaking opportunities, but in general, if you are doing that speed, its a half decent road (you'd hope) and slowing down slightly and pulling over slightly would give enough margin to allow overtake safely.

Having a dangerous driver, a tailgater, right behind you, is exactly the most dangerous place to have them. Disappearing in front of you is where you want that car.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Over egging the yoke a bit aren't we..

Why cant we just leave my yolk out of it? That was all 15 years ago and I served my time for it.

if I see fowl play I'll call it.

My point is that if I slow down this won't happen. I'm not talking about slamming the brakes, just cruising down to what I judge to be a safe stopping speed for the distance between the 2 cars. The safety of my backseat passengers are my responsibility.

I thought you couldn't slow down without going to 0. Some fault with the car or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Some speed limit are really stupid. Condell road in Limerick, good for 80kph anyway. but they limit it to 50. its actually painful to drive on, and they often have a speed camera van there :mad:

I reckon it's a clever ploy to get people to use the tunnel. bastards

No its actually a clever ploy to generate revenue...you know, the reason why they were introduced in the first place...

...or wait, I could be wrong, maybe they are placed in sneaky hiding places for our safety...LOL...hardly!:pac:

I thought you couldn't slow down without going to 0. Some fault with the car or something?
    You thought wrong. There is no law saying that a driver cannot slow down.

You advised me to pull in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No its actually a clever ploy to generate revenue...you know, the reason why they were introduced in the first place...

...or wait, I could be wrong, maybe they are placed in sneaky hiding places for our safety...LOL...hardly!:pac:
    As mentioned earlier, the GoSafe vans are hardly in sneaky hiding places.

That's not to say that I don't think that it's mostly just a revenue earner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

Was at a wedding recently and got chatting to a lad who's a guard. Told me the story of these lads barrelling up and down the road collecting fines like candy. Only when they were issueing the fines did they realise that the lads had copied the plates of the GATSO van.

Now thats thinking outside the box.

You advised me to pull in.

Hey look panto season. Oh no I didn't.

I was making a slightly different point. You can pull slightly over without having to stop.

• Advertisement

So it's really an act of selfless public interest rather than merely trying to piss off the driver behind you?

kbannon wrote: »
    You thought wrong. There is no law saying that a driver cannot slow down.

Lost me there. Or my sarcasm detector is broken...again.

So it's really an act of selfless public interest rather than merely trying to piss off the driver behind you?

Ummmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You should get an automatic 6 penalty points on your licence when you buy a Yaris.
    Naw to be fair the Yaris isn't a bad oul car. Mid 90's Polos on the other hand... :D
    Full.Duck wrote: »
    Driving up someones arse is 100 times more dangerouse, you dont have time to break.
    Break what?

Plus who is he or she gonna hit if they can't brake in time? I work on the principle that safety first for me. If some numpty is tailgaiting me, then I let him or her pass. Well it's better than making some handwringing point IMHO. And this?
    I get a sporting kick out of it.
    A) doesn't quite get the term "sporting" and B) is petty, childish and dangerous an attitude.
    As for envy, my car cost me 800e, low tax and low insurance, uses hardly any fuel and gets me from a to b. Never had any problems, hardly any maintainence. Perfect car for my needs, i have no need to go out and buy an audi. Ive saved a bucket load and its a safe reliable car.
    Reliable enough sure. Watch for rust though. Safe? I wouldn't like to be in any sort of accident with one. They've the structural strength of an over ripe banana, especially if there's any rust and if you can see any then there's a lot more hidden. Their lack of power for safe overtaking is a tad worrying. Brakes ain't the best on them either. If the majority of your travel was in the urban environment they're bang on, but I'd not be keen to use them for longer drives. I'm with you on the economic front though.
    Why the hell would i go buy and audi that costs me a couple of grand? Makes no sense for my situation. So get off your high horse and thanks for making my statment true that audi drivers are cnuts
    Now now, hardly any need to get on your high low horse about Audi drivers. Up the workers and all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

A friend of mine got done for doing 140 in a 120 zone on a motorway last week. This is fcuking ridiculous. Why the hell build the things if you can't do a reasonable speed (say 160) on them?

Personally I wouldn't give them the satisfaction, so obey the speed limits. Here in Waterford we have an outer ring road bypass (dual carriageway) with a 60 Km/H speed limit. It's ludicrous. And they have placed these vans on it.

Shooting fish in a barrel. 'They're being placed on blackspots where people were killed'. What utter rubbish. I've seen them in loads of spots where there hasn't even been a serious accident - let alone a fatality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

El Weirdo wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier, the GoSafe vans are hardly in sneaky hiding places.

That's not to say that I don't think that it's mostly just a revenue earner.

Agreed. You should see where they sneak them in around Waterford. Just outside speed limit zone ends, where you'll be picking up speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus this thread has moved on a lot from the OP :D
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    just curious - is there any reason why someone couldn't park directly behind the rear of a go-safe van ?
    Yes. Because 99% of the time, the vans are parked in places where it's illegal to park :D

In response to the OP, no I don't warn oncoming traffic about speed checks, cos I don't care. Not my problem. Two sitalonies with the gun on Clanbrassil st last night, right at that point where the road widens and everyone opens up the throttle. Wonder how many they caught.

(No I don't drive a Yaris :D)

Wibbs wrote: »
    A) doesn't quite get the term "sporting" and B) is petty, childish and dangerous an attitude.

I know, and God I so hate myself for it. I always beat myself when I get home - (sometimes the wife does it for me)

protecting my back seat passengers, so then Selfish personal interest. You need to pay more attention to the words in the posts.

Hey look panto season. Oh no I didn't.

I was making a slightly different point. You can pull slightly over without having to stop.

So now you're advising me to slow down a bit and lean into the left? I do slow down, thats why you said I was being reckless.

You need to pay more attention to the words in the posts
    I get a sporting kick out of it.

I do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement