Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed camera etiquette

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

protecting my back seat passengers, so then Selfish personal interest. You need to pay more attention to the words in the posts.
    And you need to pay more attention to the laws of physics. If you have a tailgater and you insist on slowing down because of some holier than thou handwringing hissy fit you decrease the distance between you both. Then if you have to brake suddenly it increases the chances of your back seat passengers getting an Audi enema.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Wibbs wrote: »
    And you need to pay more attention to the laws of physics. If you have a tailgater and you insist on slowing down because of some holier than thou handwringing hissy fit you decrease the distance between you both. Then if you have to brake suddenly it increases the chances of your back seat passengers getting an Audi enema.

But if we're both doing 50kph instead of 100kph, the laws of physics dictate that the impact will be lessened. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But if we're both doing 50kph instead of 100kph, the laws of physics dictate that the impact will be lessened. No?

50kph would still mean a fair belt from a car, especially a decent sized one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you're hit up the arse at 50kph you and your back seaters will know all about it. It also depends on many other factors, relative speed for a start and braking efficiency of the two cars. Simplest and safest thing to do is get out of the bloody way and let the guy/gal pass and not act like some holier than thou oul wan.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

So now you're advising me to slow down a bit and lean into the left? I do slow down, thats why you said I was being reckless.

Where did I say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

No its actually a clever ploy to generate revenue...you know, the reason why they were introduced in the first place...

...or wait, I could be wrong, maybe they are placed in sneaky hiding places for our safety...LOL...hardly!:pac:

Yeah, as I said clever ploy to get people to use the tunnel. (The tunnel ain't free!) And plus because it's a PPP project, the government have to compensate the private company if the volume of traffic falls below projected levels! It's all money! Bastards! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

just wondering was there not a new thing stated by the garda commisoner that all gatso vans have to be identifiable and marked so as not to be accused of been so called money makers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

donutface wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I saw one of those mobile speed cameras tonight and I was wondering whats the best way to warn oncoming traffic of its presence?

I suppose this might be better in the Motorists forum but I feel this might be a bit more general and probably could apply to non car enthusiasts too.
    I'd mind my own speed, and anyone speeding can f#ck off and suffer the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

med1 wrote: »
    just wondering was there not a new thing stated by the garda commisoner that all gatso vans have to be identifiable and marked so as not to be accused of been so called money makers

Are you on about gatso vans or go safe vans?

Speed camera signs are visible,you know the go safe vans can be anywhere in that zone.

Advertisement