Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school garden

Options
  • 19-10-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I have voluntered to build a garden at my daughters primary school with help from some other parents.

My knowledge of planting is very limited but I have some construction experience from a few years back when I did part-time carpentry work for a landscaper. Im hoping some of the others will have green fingers.

The school don't have any money for the project but I won't let this get in the way of it being a success.

My plan is to source materials over the winter, probably stuff that parents have lying around their own property thats not being used, mainly timber and paving/gravel etc.
    For planting we will probably ask parents to donate a plant or bring home a pot and plant it up when doing their own. I'l also see what else I can find that I can get for free.

Has anyone here got any experience of a school garden or similar or building a garden with no funds.
    If you have any suggestions or ideas for me I would be most greatful, also what are good plants/flowers for children to plant for themselves and watch them grow.

The site for the garden is in grass at the moment and is about 20ft x 60ft with a gentle slope along the 60ft edge and is next to a 2 story building so will be in shade some of the time but does get its fair share of sun.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutgardening/organicgardening/pages/default.aspx

have a look here - you can request a dvd that was put together to help people plan/establish school gardens in primary schools, also in the side bar menu you will find data worksheets that will walk you through the process from planning/construction what to grow and when and even its relevance to the curriculum......good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Hi redzone

Fair play to you volunteering to do this. I've designed a couple of school gardens and they never have any money so these problems are not unique and they have been overcome before. I'd be willing to give you a few hours to help you design the garden and give you an idea of how to go about gathering what you need. PM me to arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Dardevle, thanks for the link thats great info. Rinker, cheers for the offer, I'm quite busy till Christmas with study and exams but plan to get started in the new year and begin construction in the spring. I might give you a shout in the new year. Cheers.:)

Advertisement