Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MICHAEL PUTS THE ‘FREEZE’ ON A WHITE WINTER AND ARCTIC-LIKE CONDITIONS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

gbee wrote: »
    ♪ ♫ Frog legs and fairy wings ♪♫,
    Flower pots and dew, ♪♪♪
    All kind of everything ......... ♫♫♫ :cool:

hahaha :D hahaha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well michael I think he's wrong. my prediction indicates winter weather to be the same or slightly worse than last year and I predict snow for the 16th of november. I have the skis ready as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Jesus, that was a bit harsh, the poor frog. I think they're a threatened species too.
    well they are in gbee's garden :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

sad_frog.jpg?1275576115That fellow seems famous for some reason, am I the only one who has no clue about the sad frog meme ???

Anyway, I'm French, and I take exception to this thread. ;)

On a more serious note, I know a lot of old farmers/and non farming old country fellows, and I must say after a few years of listening to them I'm still 50/50 on this. Look at the "Red sky at night shepherd's delight, red sky in the morning shepherd's warning" phrase, it is pretty much accurate no ? They do get a fair bit of accurate weather predicting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

That frog could have been off its head. We have a cat at home that's off its head and we used to have a dog that was off its head and I once saw a totally intrepid mouse that had to be off its head so it's entirely possible that the frog was off it's head.

Now, on a related note, how lush are the bushes etc with berries this year? Was out in Chesunt near london 3 weeks ago and there seemed to be huge amounts of berries etc on the branches and briars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

On a more serious note, I know a lot of old farmers/and non farming old country fellows, and I must say after a few years of listening to them I'm still 50/50 on this. Look at the "Red sky at night shepherd's delight, red sky in the morning shepherd's warning" phrase, it is pretty much accurate no ? They do get a fair bit of accurate weather predicting.

For immediate weather pattern, most farmers would have a general knowledge and be fairly accurate - but its based experience. Red Sky at night - usually signs that high pressure overhead, thus a dry night is in prospect.

However, predicting more than a week ahead with any eal accuracy especially for ireland, is just not possble imo.

A general trend - yes, but saying snow will fall in 1st week January or such like is crazy.

btw - would the hysterical tabloids tell us where the snow forecasted for October is gone?

Jean Byrne doesn't look optimistic. time will tell.

IrishweatherNOV2011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

kstand wrote: »
    That frog could have been off its head. We have a cat at home that's off its head and we used to have a dog that was off its head and I once saw a totally intrepid mouse that had to be off its head so it's entirely possible that the frog was off it's head.

Now, on a related note, how lush are the bushes etc with berries this year? Was out in Chesunt near london 3 weeks ago and there seemed to be huge amounts of berries etc on the branches and briars.

Maybe it licked itself??:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWN3OXTsMlw&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

zenno wrote: »
    Jean Byrne doesn't look optimistic. time will tell.

IrishweatherNOV2011.jpg

where did you get that, is it from last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fizzycyst wrote: »

A genuine classic! That song brings back memories:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

A genuine classic! That song brings back memories:D

It sure is a classic. I still remember that Christmas it was released, I was only a tot......ah the memories *sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

That's Donegal postie was in hot water today on the Joe Duffy show as garden centre managers blamed him for the downturn in business that they are suffering.

But Joe stood up for himself vehemently, claiming that the article printed in some paper was in fact not his forecast, even if he was attributed to them.

Joe Duffy show today at lunchtime [Thurs: 17/10/11]

gbee wrote: »
    That's Donegal postie was in hot water today on the Joe Duffy show as garden centre managers blamed him for the downturn in business that they are suffering.

But Joe stood up for himself vehemently, claiming that the article printed in some paper was in fact not his forecast, even if he was attributed to them.

Joe Duffy show today at lunchtime [Thurs: 17/10/11]

why would there business go down if hes saying this winter wont be that cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

bb1234567 wrote: »
    why would there business go down if hes saying this winter wont be that cold?

People won't buy plant bulbs now that will flower in the spring as they are afraid they will die when the ground temperature goes below zero.

Also some plants don't like extreme cold, look at all the palms and furns that dies last year because of the cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The guy from the garden centre was the most ignorant, ill informed person , I have heard in a long time.

LoL at Joe asking him were all his customers vegetables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Well the last day of October, and while there is a wind blowing it is extremely mild!!!

This weekend last year was much colder so maybe Mick the Postman is right!!!!

Looking at forecast into November, temps look like they will be pretty ok (as in no minuses)!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tomcat2

All of this sounds a little bit like snake oil.Having said that humans have studied nature for hundreds of years to forecast weather.It's nothing new.
    There are numerous places in the world where they have something similar to groundhog day.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

There is a programme about Michael on TG4 Sunday evening at 9pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He has been proven absolutely correct so far, fair play Michael.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    He has been proven absolutely correct so far, fair play Michael.

when was he correct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He was correct when he took the Snow Bunny outside in October and Euthanised the bastid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

bb1234567 wrote: »
    when was he correct?

99% correct delivery on the mail so far:)

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has said there is 'SNOW WAY' Donegal is going to be plunged into artic-like conditions this winter.

Michael.jpeg

Postman Michael Gallagher has successfully predicted snowfalls for the last number of years from his base in the hills of Donegal.

But Michael, from Glenfin, says he simply can’t understand why everyone is saying the country is going to be covered in snow and freezing conditions for months on end.

“I simply don’t know where these forecasts are coming form. I can see no signs of it.

“We might have a little snow but I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as the past couple of years.

“I can see us getting plenty of rain and frost but I can’t see the huge falls of snow and freezing temperatures which everyone seems to be predicting,” he said.

Michael, who famously forced bookmaker Paddy Power to pay out €70,000 in early bets after predicting a white Christmas two years ago, says there will be plenty of storms.

Only recently he was approached by a customer while doing his rounds who had found a frog behind a flowerpot.

“When we lifted the flowerpot the frog just wouldn’t move. I just knew that was a bad sign.

“A couple of days later we had those bad storms. The frog knew it was going to be bad and didn’t plan on moving anywhere,” said Michael.

Looks like michael was right again. he seems to have some knack in regards to this forecasting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Tomcat2 wrote: »
    All of this sounds a little bit like snake oil.Having said that humans have studied nature for hundreds of years to forecast weather.It's nothing new.
    There are numerous places in the world where they have something similar to groundhog day.
    I posted this back in June and the summer did indeed turn out to be dry, if cool, grim and gloomy.
    So how did the salmon know it? This is not a once off phenomenon - I have seen it happen before.
    Rainfall totals were below normal everywhere with the exception of some stations in the east and southwest. The
    majority of the rainfall accumulated in June, with July and August being drier, recording below average rainfall in most
    places. Almost all of the daily highest falls were recorded during the first month of the season and during the heavy
    showers experienced in the first half of August. Overall, most stations reported that it was their driest summer since
    2006 (5 years).
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

"The 63-year-old forecaster, who uses nature to predict the weather, has correctly predicted a white Christmas for the last two years. However, Gallagher says that the lack of berries on the branches leads him to believe that temperatures will remain above freezing this holiday season, reports the Irish Examiner"

Michael Gallagher reported a lack of berries while many others reported a bumper crop of berries until the birds ate them in December.
    Bit of a contradiction there unless there weren't many berries in Donegal in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

zenno wrote: »
    Looks like michael was right again. he seems to have some knack in regards to this forecasting.

Winter isn't over yet.

Advertisement