Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best food for my puppy?

• 20-10-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I recently got an 11 week old miniature schnauzer puppy. Little dote so he is:D Anyway the breeder I got him from gave me a bag of food and a page of info on how he should be fed. He is on red mills( any brand containing 27% protein) He is getting 3 meals a day. Now the thing is he doesnt seem to be eating much. I understand that its partly down to him being excited about his new home but I'm a bit worried. Should he not be on a puppy food until he's a year? Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

ie wrote: »
    [IMG]http://www.****/g.php[/IMG]You can add eggs or bean curd into the puppy food for the puppy dog need calcium to make bones,but you must get the eggs or bean curd boiled before you feed.

They need a balanced puppy diet more. Supplementing calcium on its own is a very bad idea. If you need specific dietary advice, or you feel it's lacking something, contact your vet.
    Overall, a good quality complete puppy food should serve your pup's needs. Which Red Mills food is it? Their Leader range is pretty good, but make sure it is puppy, and not adult, food. I would stay away from the likes of Star or Pet from RM as they are most definitely NOT suitable for a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Wisco wrote: »
    They need a balanced puppy diet more. Supplementing calcium on its own is a very bad idea. If you need specific dietary advice, or you feel it's lacking something, contact your vet.
    Overall, a good quality complete puppy food should serve your pup's needs. Which Red Mills food is it? Their Leader range is pretty good, but make sure it is puppy, and not adult, food. I would stay away from the likes of Star or Pet from RM as they are most definitely NOT suitable for a pup.

Hi Wisco

Thanks so much for your advice. Yes wasnt too gone on the idea of adding egg to his food! The breeder said any red mills food containing 27% protein:confused: The food itself is too big for him I think. I'm going to go over to my local petshop now and ask his advice he seems to know his stuff. I'll let you know what he says:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i would also stay clear of any supermarket food like pedigree chum, bakers, madra etc. i would be looking for a good quality food. the intially layout mite be a bit dearer but in the long run worksout cheaper, feed less, poo less

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Hi, also looking for advice on Red Mills Leader Supreme which I have just put my springer/cocker (18 months) on. Was on Royal Canin which she was great on but I find it too expensive so went to Pet Expo last week to research other good dog foods. After a lot of discussions with various food companies felt Red Mills would suit her best. She seems to be doing fine (a bit windy :)). Has anyone any advice/experience with Red Mills Leader.. thanks a mil....

reeta wrote: »
    Hi, also looking for advice on Red Mills Leader Supreme which I have just put my springer/cocker (18 months) on. Was on Royal Canin which she was great on but I find it too expensive so went to Pet Expo last week to research other good dog foods. After a lot of discussions with various food companies felt Red Mills would suit her best. She seems to be doing fine (a bit windy :)). Has anyone any advice/experience with Red Mills Leader.. thanks a mil....

I think Red Mills is quite good it's just my pup is on the adult one instead of the puppy. Also did you introduce the new food gradually? If not this could be the cause of wind. I dont know how I'm going to to it as my pup is not really eating his current food. Agree with you on the Royal Canin it is great I fed my cats this until they were a year then changed to a slightly cheaper one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Ziggy, definitely change to puppy food. I'd be less concerned about protein percentage than I would be about ensuring it's got the right mix of nutrients for a growing puppy. A lot of breeders are obsessed with protein, but the important thing is getting the balance right. A good puppy food will have this done already- have a look at RM Leader puppy (cheaper option) or go for Hills or Royal Canin. Vets will often give you trial size puppy food (free) so you can try it out.

I'd also advise asking your vet, or vet nurse, for nutritional advice rather than a pet shop. My experience with pet shops is that they can be hit or miss- some really know their stuff and some can fake it, but really don't know what they're talking about.

If the pup is 11 weeks I'd imagine it still needs another vaccine, so when you book that with your vet, it would be a great time to ask questions. But whatever you do, get off adult food, and get the pup onto proper puppy food, and continue feeding it until around a year of age.

Wisco wrote: »
    Ziggy, definitely change to puppy food. I'd be less concerned about protein percentage than I would be about ensuring it's got the right mix of nutrients for a growing puppy. A lot of breeders are obsessed with protein, but the important thing is getting the balance right. A good puppy food will have this done already- have a look at RM Leader puppy (cheaper option) or go for Hills or Royal Canin. Vets will often give you trial size puppy food (free) so you can try it out.

I'd also advise asking your vet, or vet nurse, for nutritional advice rather than a pet shop. My experience with pet shops is that they can be hit or miss- some really know their stuff and some can fake it, but really don't know what they're talking about.

If the pup is 11 weeks I'd imagine it still needs another vaccine, so when you book that with your vet, it would be a great time to ask questions. But whatever you do, get off adult food, and get the pup onto proper puppy food, and continue feeding it until around a year of age.

Hi Wisco
    Thanks again for your great advice. The guy in the petshop gave me a trial size of Red Mills Leader puppy and Chewie (the pup!) loves it gobbled it all up straight away:) I just hope it doesnt upset his stomach. Yep he's going for his 12 week injections Monday so will ask the vet for her advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I used barking heads puppy food (blue bag) for mine. I found it very good but certain brands suits certain dogs I suppose. I think it's definately worth paying extra for high quality food for at least their first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cora2

You might find this article useful, http://www.whites-premium.com/The-Puppy-Food-Debate

Advertisement