Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Firewood

Options
  • 20-10-2011 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hello Galway people

Wanted to ask if someone knows any good places around Galway (preferably East side) to buy bags (10-20ish) of firewood and what should i be paying? I don't really have a clue about these things. I'm talking about the logs that you put in to fireplaces.

Before you say Google it, I have, and i could not find much. Also I have bought crap firewood before that took 2h on average to light / did not burn at all, and me being a burn all the things kind of guy, i would be looking for tried and tested places with the good stuff because I hate freeezing!

Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I dont have a fire so I cant comment on how good they are but LIDL have big bags of (Irish I think) logs for about a fiver.
    Knowing LIDL I would guess they must be good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

not sure if that's what you're looking for, but solidfuel in Athenry (I think) sell those big bulk bags of kiln-dried firewood. Had them last year, and the wood was really good. But you need somewhere to stack the wood, plus it's fairly expensive (to pay in one go). ~ 250 quid or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Thanks for your help - 250 quid is a tad over budget at the moment even if i would have room to store it. Never thought of Lidl, might check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Start checking the local shops, some of them have single bags you can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miss-Tralee

Last year we got all ours at the Texaco on the Tuam Road, just up from Trappers. They had little bags of kindling for around 50c each and bigger bags, but I can't remember how much they were charging for them. They also had bags of logs for 3 or 4 euro and a good deal on briquettes. Definately a good idea to suss out the local shops and forecourts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I got Bord na Mona "Eco Friendly Real Logs" in B&Q recently and found them quite good. Only air-dried but they burned well. B&Q is not East side of course, but I would guess BNM would have a good network of retailers.

http://www.bordnamonafuels.ie/our-fuels/eco-friendly-range/real-logs-kindling

Avoid the, er, bog-standard logs in supermarkets and petrol station forecourts. Absolute rubbish, IMO. Moisture content is so high you end up boiling the timber in its own juices using a stack of firelighters and kindling.

Possible suppliers of firewood in the East side include McDonagh's in Ballybane (off the Morris Roundabout) and Galway Gas, the heating/stove emporium in Briarhill.

BTW, you can't beat (smokeless) coal for serious heat, and if you don't mind dealing with cinders and ash it has the advantages of being moisture free and widely available.

Advertisement