Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Primary Schools Dublin

• 20-10-2011 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭

I'v read that you need to apply for your kids primary school literally from the day they are born!
    My wife is due next April so i suppose its prudent to start doing a little research.
    Are there official Dept Of Education inspector reports for Primary schools or league tables that would give us an indication of where would be best to apply within a 5-10 Km radius of where we live for example?

I know some people would say, its only primary school, relax!, but I strongly believe the right start is vitally important so want to make the best choice we can.
    We are not rich so its not going to be a private school.

Our child will be mixed race and non religious so we were thinking of an Educate Together school would be best in theory, but maybe I'm being a little precious, I just hate the idea of them being bullied because they are the only non whatever race/religion etc kid there.

Its all a bit overwhelming. We would be looking in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area in general. If someone has any recommendations that would be fantastic too. Thanks :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi there,

The Monkstown Educate Together School & Dalkey School Project would be the two most popular Non-Denominational schools in DLR area..Most schools these days will let you opt your child out of religous education though so don't discount other schools.
    The Harold School in Glasthule is superb - real community vibe & all the kids are very happy - teachers & principle very approachable - My little girl has really come out of her shell since she started & is learning lots :)
    Supercell wrote: »
    I'v read that you need to apply for your kids primary school literally from the day they are born!
    My wife is due next April so i suppose its prudent to start doing a little research.
    Are there official Dept Of Education inspector reports for Primary schools or league tables that would give us an indication of where would be best to apply within a 5-10 Km radius of where we live for example?

I know some people would say, its only primary school, relax!, but I strongly believe the right start is vitally important so want to make the best choice we can.
    We are not rich so its not going to be a private school.

Our child will be mixed race and non religious so we were thinking of an Educate Together school would be best in theory, but maybe I'm being a little precious, I just hate the idea of them being bullied because they are the only non whatever race/religion etc kid there.

Its all a bit overwhelming. We would be looking in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area in general. If someone has any recommendations that would be fantastic too. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's most unlikely that your child will be the only mixed race/non religious child in any type of school anymore. School inspection reports are available on education.ie, but not every school has been through a whole school inspection yet.

I think you are wise to start looking around now, we have a number of kids for 2016 already!

Just a slight correction to Marley123's post there are NO non-denominational primary schools in Ireland. Educate Together schools follow a programme that looks at many kinds of religions and morality called "Learn together."

You may also need to consider secondary school choices(mad, I know) as some schools are feeders for particular secondary schools,so you might want to take that into account too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

you'll get a list of schools in your area here:

http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/primary-Schools-in-Ireland-by-County

Supercell wrote: »
    Our child will be mixed race and non religious so we were thinking of an Educate Together school would be best in theory....

Many schools have a mixture of races and nationalities these days, so I don't think that'll be an issue. From that point of view, your best bet is to think in terms of the specific school rather than the type - in other words, if a school looks like it might suit you, chat to the Principal about any concerns you have in relation to your child being of mixed race.

If you are non-religious and it is a key issue for you, then you should focus on Educate Together schools. Although other schools can accommodate children from non-religious backgrounds, Educate Together schools are the schools of choice for anyone who is non-religious or atheist.

Advertisement