Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful in Eyre square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

sorry but i have to call shenanigans on this story.

So the Gaurds show up to a fight and only take names. They then tell the injured party to go home.
    injured party goes to mill-street to complain. Again is told to go home.
    if he needed stitches surely he would have been bleeding quite alot. The guards would have treated him and probably called an ambulance.
    why didnt he go to A&E.

Alot of "scene missings" to this story.

Was your friend drunk by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

You might find it funny skelliser but judging by the other comments on this thread I don't see any reason to believe that his version of events could not have happened. Scumbags do unprovoked attacks and get away with it and the Gardai...well I'm never surprised by their incompetence or insensitivity. I'll leave it at that.

gandroid wrote: »
    You might find it funny skelliser but judging by the other comments on this thread I don't see any reason to believe that his version of events could not have happened. Scumbags do unprovoked attacks and get away with it and the Gardai...well I'm never surprised by their incompetence or insensitivity. I'll leave it at that.

so because every other comment is agreeing with the OP's story then it most be true!

there are usually two sides to a story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
    we have only heard one side which has been used to turn this into a Garda bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

skelliser wrote: »
    sorry but i have to call shenanigans on this story.

So the Gaurds show up to a fight and only take names. They then tell the injured party to go home.
    injured party goes to mill-street to complain. Again is told to go home.
    if he needed stitches surely he would have been bleeding quite alot. The guards would have treated him and probably called an ambulance.
    why didnt he go to A&E.

Alot of "scene missings" to this story.

Was your friend drunk by any chance?

He could have internal bleeding, he could have neurological trauma, concussion, a brain bleed, brain swelling, or a host of other problems that aren't visible, especially to untrained (in that respect) gardaí.

And nobody in their right mind goes to A&E anymore. €100 to sit there for hours on end while you could have 20 fractured bones and be bleeding for all they care... you must be joking. And if he's a student, then €100 is a big hit to the pocket. I certainly don't have €100's to go handing out.
    so because every other comment is agreeing with the OP's story then it most be true!

there are usually two sides to a story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
    we have only heard one side which has been used to turn this into a Garda bashing thread.
    If there was no reason for it, it probably wouldn't happen. And why is it, you can praise them all you want, but when you criticise them not doing their job, it's bashing?

A few times around galway I've seen people passed out from drink, and have either been "left" outside by the nice bouncers, or were on shop street or wherever.

On one occasion, there were two gardaí just down the road, doing something with a taxi driver. As I was passing by anyway, I made sure they knew about the person passed out on the ground. The reply I got was "Yeah, I know, I can see him. We'll see what the nightclub has to say about it" and went back to talking to the taxi driver.

The BAC level where you actually pass out is scarily close to the levels of surgical anesthesia (where 1% of people will die - coma is also possible) and the level for death is slightly above that

IMO that's a pretty poor response to the situation which should be taking priority.

@OP - Garda ombudsman - the only way to get anything done about it.

He could have internal bleeding, he could have neurological trauma, concussion, a brain bleed, brain swelling, or a host of other problems that aren't visible, especially to untrained (in that respect) gardaí.

And nobody in their right mind goes to A&E anymore. €100 to sit there for hours on end while you could have 20 fractured bones and be bleeding for all they care... you must be joking. And if he's a student, then €100 is a big hit to the pocket. I certainly don't have €100's to go handing out.
    contradicting yourself there, on the one hand he may have all manner of internal injuries yet he wont go to A&E cause it costs to much.

If there was no reason for it, it probably wouldn't happen. And why is it, you can praise them all you want, but when you criticise them not doing their job, it's bashing?

where have i praised them?

im just pointing out the many holes in this story.
    There are always two sides to every story.

I have had many dealings with the Gaurds and in hindsight iv found them to be fair on the whole.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know how you came up with my "contradictions" - If you're drunk there's no way you'd have a clue you had internal injuries, you'd be doing well to know if you're sober without knowing what to look for. The only external symptoms of internal injury is hypovolemic shock, which some of the symptoms would correspond with the "shock" of just being beaten up.

Such as

Tachycardia >100bpm
    Increased respiratory rate
    Sweating from sympathetic stimulation
    Mildly anxious/Restless

Yet you could also have lost 15-30% of your blood volume internally.

My point was - he could have any one of a number of serious medical conditions, the Gardaí should have either brought him to the hospital or called for an ambulance to assess him, as it's unlikely that he'll go to A&E by himself, and its unlikely he'd be able to tell if he had any internal injuries in time to do anything about it.

It's most certainly not a contradiction, but I apologise if it wasn't 100% clear what I meant.

I never meant "you" specifically, btw.

were getting side tracked here.

All im pointing out is there is imo some holes in the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

I have a few friends who are GardaI who have worked in eyre square, they are completely under resourced, if there are two on duty in the square they are encouraged to stay up their as long as they possibly can before they arrest someone, the reason being is because once they do they have to go with the prosioner to the station. If and when they do they leave the square unsupervised and that's when the serious stuff will happens.FIf they can deal with the matter by taking names and addresses they generally will. Why don't some of the posters here get off their arses and join the Garda reserve rather than run down people doing a thankless job dealing with assholes / drunks who often act the victim to their friends the next day when in fact they were the problem! If you go to the courts in Galway they are packed with scumbags on charges. But people in a bubble don't see this side or refuse to acknowledge it, the bashing story is better!!

As suggested by another poster perhaps it is because of the abundance of people with their own stories about encounters with similar behaviour and subsequent poor response from the Gardai...that I am more inclined to believe it is true rather than suggest that the OP is lying about something as serious as this or make fun of it.

If I felt the Garda merited praise, I would have no hesitation in giving it but in this situation I don't believe they acted with due care or fulfilled their duties very well. Unfortunately...I feel this happens a lot with the Gardai.

But my main point was not about the Gardai but your readiness to make fun of the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I often walk through Eyre Square around that time on my own and later a few times a week after a night out, never once have i been hassled but i have seen a few fights but nothing that would put me off walking through there at that time of night.

• Advertisement

Me again! wrote: »
    If and when they do they leave the square unsupervised and that's when the serious stuff will happens.

So one individual getting kicked and beaten by a group of scumbags is not serious.

I don't think anyone is Garda bashing and I'm sure they're underresourced but I always see more of them walking around/on the beat during the day time than I ever see at night...presence is a huge deterrent and I don't think they have a full time presence in Eyre Sq.

It's a bit simplistic to suggest people should join the Garda reserve instead of voicing an opinion on the matter.

If and when they do they leave the square unsupervised and that's when the serious stuff will happens.

So one individual getting kicked and beaten by a group of scumbags is not serious.

I don't think anyone is Garda bashing and I'm sure they're underresourced but I always see more of them walking around/on the beat during the day time than I ever see at night...presence is a huge deterrent and I don't think they have a full time presence in Eyre Sq.

It's a bit simplistic to suggest people should join the Garda reserve instead of voicing an opinion on the matter.

it's not simplistic! It's practical! But the easy thing to do is point the finger. The jails are overflowing yet the gardai are doing nothing!

Why don't some of the posters here get off their arses and join the Garda reserve rather than...!

Maybe you just don't pay attention to what's going on, but the Garda reserve isn't always open to join. They close and open applications every couple of months, and you can be waiting well over 2 years from the point where you have the interview until you're actually part of the reserve. Some people on the garda reserve forum on boards have been waiting nearly 5 years.

They also have very, very few powers in the line of duty -

See http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000568

They also have to be with a full member while on duty. Which means in most cases, a garda reserve can nearly be useless.

Why don't some of the posters here get off their arses and join the Garda reserve rather than...!

Maybe you just don't pay attention to what's going on, but the Garda reserve isn't always open to join. They close and open applications every couple of months, and you can be waiting well over 2 years from the point where you have the interview until you're actually part of the reserve. Some people on the garda reserve forum on boards have been waiting nearly 5 years.

They also have very, very few powers in the line of duty -

See http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000568

They also have to be with a full member while on duty. Which means in most cases, a garda reserve can nearly be useless.

if there were two reserves available to go with the full time members then they would have double the presence ( was always good at maths! ). two could go with a prisoner and a full time Garda and reserve would remain to police the square. Just because it might be difficult to join shouldn't stop anyone from trying if they want to contribute and want to help their community. The reserve can assit the Garda they are with and presence is half the battle!

it's not simplistic! It's practical! But the easy thing to do is point the finger. The jails are overflowing yet the gardai are doing nothing!

So you do agree this was serious and your original analysis of it was simplistic.

So you do agree this was serious and your original analysis of it was simplistic.

No! But clearly it can't be made simple enough for you!

:rolleyes: You suggested this wasn't a serious incident and then recommended to people who complained about it to join the Garda reserve and make it all better. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lads lads

There is a point there though. With the jails overflowing the guards can't just toss everyone in the cells all the time. They may even be instructed thus.
    Although they should of course make sure they note down the right name and address. Maybe they knew the face, a known troublemaker?

:rolleyes: You suggested this wasn't a serious incident and then recommended to people who complained about it to join the Garda reserve and make it all better. I rest my case.

Your case is crap!

Your case is crap!

Like talking to a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Anyone who bites somebody repeatedly in a random assault can't be too far off a rape or manslaughter/murder imo.
    What can you do..you can't hope for the law to help you out nowadays...maybe just karma. Going out late is a lottery, theres a small chance you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I start drinking earlier and go home earlier..it reduces to chances of a random beating. I'd rather break my jaw and eat through a straw for a month than get a bite mark myself.

In fairness the way some people are talking here you swear we were living in Baghdad, Galway is a very very safe city, if you feel you could not walk alone in the city late at night, well then i suggest never travelling in your life for fear something might happen.
    Life is for living not being afraid of going out and enjoying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

In fairness the way some people are talking here you swear we were living in Baghdad, Galway is a very very safe city, if you feel you could not walk alone in the city late at night, well then i suggest never travelling in your life for fear something might happen.
    Life is for living not being afraid of going out and enjoying yourself.

Tell that to yer man from last night... and the other lad the weekend before..and the other one etc etc
    Its a safer place than most but its easy to preach when you haven't been done yourself

Tell that to yer man from last night... and the other lad the weekend before..and the other one etc etc
    Its a safer place than most but its easy to preach when you haven't been done yourself

I have been beaten up before and mugged in another country, often got in a few fights, you cant let it bother you or you might as well live in a bubble altogether.
    People need to man the hell up and chalk it up to experience, these things happen nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have been beaten up before and mugged in another country, often got in a few fights, you cant let it bother you or you might as well live in a bubble altogether.
    People need to man the hell up and chalk it up to experience, these things happen nothing you can do about it.
    Well said Jonjo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Can't understand all the gasps of shock and horror when an incident occures in Eyre Square - late at night it is a complete and utter shytehole , always has been and probably always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

My friend is grand now, was chatting to him earlier. He is a bit sore but realizes that he was lucky in the end. He went to the doctor in the morning and all is grand, thankfully he was wearing a few layers and the bite marks didn't break the skin.

To clear a few things up. He had a few pints but had left the pub early and was popping down to see me in work.

The guards who arrived on the scene consisted of one male cop and one female cop. In this situation I can sort of understand the cops hesitation in getting physically involved.

I think everyone just needs to be a little bit more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

"The guards who arrived on the scene consisted of one male cop and one female cop. In this situation I can sort of understand the cops hesitation in getting physically involved."

hooray for gender equality!

Anyone who bites somebody repeatedly in a random assault can't be too far off a rape or manslaughter/murder imo.
    What can you do..you can't hope for the law to help you out nowadays...maybe just karma. Going out late is a lottery, theres a small chance you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I start drinking earlier and go home earlier..it reduces to chances of a random beating. I'd rather break my jaw and eat through a straw for a month than get a bite mark myself.

i don't go home until 5/6 in the morning . drastically reduces chances of random beatings.

• Advertisement

missing the point

Advertisement