Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful in Eyre square

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Try driving home at 2 am from Galway & there is no shortage of Guards. The idea of just taking fake names & addresses will only encourage the scumbags. All Galway needs is good CCTV that is well monitored & a small rapid reaction force. They would of been alerted to the fight & called in surrounding units as back up.

You cannot decide law by how full the jails are. Assault is serious & should be treated as so. I would make a formal complaint.

Why is it a factor if the victim has taken drink ?

If Eyre Sq is known to be a problem then it is easy for the Guards to maintain surveillance & be ready to act. If all of these attackers had been arrested, held in custody & bought before the Court, then Eyre Sq would soon become safe. Galway needs to send out a message that it is a safe town & that violence will not be tolerated.

Given that Galway is no bigger than an average UK town it should be very easy to Police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

Discodog wrote: »
    Try driving home at 2 am from Galway & there is no shortage of Guards. The idea of just taking fake names & addresses will only encourage the scumbags. All Galway needs is good CCTV that is well monitored & a small rapid reaction force. They would of been alerted to the fight & called in surrounding units as back up.

You cannot decide law by how full the jails are. Assault is serious & should be treated as so. I would make a formal complaint.

Why is it a factor if the victim has taken drink ?

If Eyre Sq is known to be a problem then it is easy for the Guards to maintain surveillance & be ready to act. If all of these attackers had been arrested, held in custody & bought before the Court, then Eyre Sq would soon become safe. Galway needs to send out a message that it is a safe town & that violence will not be tolerated.

Given that Galway is no bigger than an average UK town it should be very easy to Police.

eyre square is covered by CCTV and when resources are available I'm sure they are focused there, but there are other parts of the city that need attention too and most nights the gardai are at full strech trying to get to calls. A rapid reaction force is great but if you don't have the resources you can't do the loafs and fishes trick! Get used to it because I reckon it will get worse before it gets better if my mate can be believed!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 masterp

That's disgraceful behavior by the Gardai.
    I received a head-butt on Henry st last xmas. Won't go into details but female friend and I were set upon by two scumbags.
    With blood flowing from above my eye I went to the cop shop to report the incident..I was also told to 'Go Home'...I just stood outside Mill St amazed at what had been said to me..

anyways another thing I've noticed is, I play in a band around town and when i'm driving home around 1-2am the amount of lone, extremely drunk females walking home alone scares the bejayus out of me...one night the bass player from said band was waiting at some lights when a girl jumped in the back of his car and said to take here home(thinking he was a taxi, with no taxi sign in sight) he was shocked to say the least..and testament to how drunk she was, this was the following conversation. after she got in the car Bass Player said:"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!??? her reply??? "oh, physiology in NUIG!" kinda humorous I know the but fcuking crazy to hear!

Me again! wrote: »
    eyre square is covered by CCTV and when resources are available I'm sure they are focused there, but there are other parts of the city that need attention too and most nights the gardai are at full strech trying to get to calls. A rapid reaction force is great but if you don't have the resources you can't do the loafs and fishes trick! Get used to it because I reckon it will get worse before it gets better if my mate can be believed!

How about changing the Garda shifts ? Move all the daytime traffic checks etc to night time & focus on violent crime, not out of date tax discs, until the scumbags get the message. Anyone who reports a crime & is told to go home should make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman.

Discodog wrote: »

How about changing the Garda shifts ? Move all the daytime traffic checks etc to night time & focus on violent crime, not out of date tax discs, until the scumbags get the message. Anyone who reports a crime & is told to go home should make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman.

I agree, even the obnoxious scumbag loaded with drink should be sat down and cuddled if he arrives at the station having lost a scrap with his rival drug dealer who's taking over his patch. Gardai don't take statements of drunk people because they are inadmissable in court. Drunk people calling to the station probally don't grasp this and if they have a complaint when sober they can come in the next day. I'm sure the ombudsman is fed up dealing with obnoxious assholes as well. I have every sympathy for victims of assault where they are innocent but if jack wants to act the lad let him not go crying to the gardai and then whinge to the ombudsman. Take it on the chin and shag off home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

In fairness the way some people are talking here you swear we were living in Baghdad, Galway is a very very safe city, if you feel you could not walk alone in the city late at night, well then i suggest never travelling in your life for fear something might happen.
    Life is for living not being afraid of going out and enjoying yourself.

Aint that the truth. :D

Just avoid it after the pubs and nightclubs empty out. Bleedin simple really.

I agree, even the obnoxious scumbag loaded with drink should be sat down and cuddled if he arrives at the station having lost a scrap with his rival drug dealer who's taking over his patch. Gardai don't take statements of drunk people because they are inadmissable in court. Drunk people calling to the station probally don't grasp this and if they have a complaint when sober they can come in the next day. I'm sure the ombudsman is fed up dealing with obnoxious assholes as well. I have every sympathy for victims of assault where they are innocent but if jack wants to act the lad let him not go crying to the gardai and then whinge to the ombudsman. Take it on the chin and shag off home!
    JJayoo wrote: »
    To clear a few things up. He had a few pints but had left the pub early and was popping down to see me in work.

Maybe he wasn't drunk & he may not be a drug dealer either.
    But you appear to want to be judge & jury regarding who is allowed to complain
    Aint that the truth. biggrin.gif

Just avoid it after the pubs and nightclubs empty out. Bleedin simple really.

Great advice for the tourists - makes them run for their hotel before the scum come out. No one will give a ****e until a tourist gets badly hurt.

The best sign that the Ombudsman is doing their job will be when the Guards start moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get yourself a taser. Give the scumbag a jab in the throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Get yourself a taser. Give the scumbag a jab in the throat.

or a pointy stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Or a board with a nail in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sammy79

Sorry to hear about your friends experience, Galway's just not the nice place it used to be.
    I was attacked by a bloody large scarey woman and 2 men at 1 in the morning on Eyre street about 6 months ago. They wanted my bag, but I guess decided to just rough me up for the fun of it also - they got away with it - I'll never ever forget it - and Gardai were nothing short of useless.
    Have called them for update so many times - the guard dealing with it doesn't call me back!!'
    Fair play to the French guy - it's not everyone who will be that decent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

If people need to be told to be careful in eyre square late at night then they must be either very naive or very stupid.There's scumbags in every city and town in ireland and Galway is no exception.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Galway is fine at night, even after the nightclubs empty out. Ive been going out 2-3 nights most weeks for the last 3 years while in NUIG, I've never had any problems and I often drunkenly stagger home on my own after spending my taxi money on drink. However I do avoid eyre square and I don't hang around on the street or outside the clubs/bars or charcoal grill or anywhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

masterp wrote: »
    That's disgraceful behavior by the Gardai.
    I received a head-butt on Henry st last xmas. Won't go into details but female friend and I were set upon by two scumbags.
    With blood flowing from above my eye I went to the cop shop to report the incident..I was also told to 'Go Home'...I just stood outside Mill St amazed at what had been said to me..

anyways another thing I've noticed is, I play in a band around town and when i'm driving home around 1-2am the amount of lone, extremely drunk females walking home alone scares the bejayus out of me...one night the bass player from said band was waiting at some lights when a girl jumped in the back of his car and said to take here home(thinking he was a taxi, with no taxi sign in sight) he was shocked to say the least..and testament to how drunk she was, this was the following conversation. after she got in the car Bass Player said:"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!??? her reply??? "oh, physiology in NUIG!" kinda humorous I know the but fcuking crazy to hear!
    over the summer a girl was almost raped in a lane where i live(luckily someone heard the screams). the next day the guards called to all the apartments to ask if anybody heard anything. the next night i walked through there after a night out and saw a very drunk girl walking through there. i've seen plenty do it since. they just never learn.... the next entrance is only about 5 mins walk away

on topic, this doesn't surprise me. i find that the guards go easy on scumbags. they probably know they will get off with no charge and if they do bring them in, it takes them off the street for hours to book them and file paperwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Was waiting for a bus in Eyre Square last year. it was only round 8.30 pm and these 5 scumbags come up looking for money off me. I told them to clear off and walked away from them and one punches me in the mouth.
    I took out my phone and rang mill street... guy on the phone took my name and number and sent a patrol car round. I ended up running out of credit.
    Waited for a few mins, certain that he'd call back. The prick never did. Not even a call to make sure I was ok.
    I could have been in a lot worse situation than I was but thankfully I only had a cut gum and the scumbags had legged it.

jd007 wrote: »
    Was waiting for a bus in Eyre Square last year. it was only round 8.30 pm and these 5 scumbags come up looking for money off me. I told them to clear off and walked away from them and one punches me in the mouth.
    I took out my phone and rang mill street... guy on the phone took my name and number and sent a patrol car round. I ended up running out of credit.
    Waited for a few mins, certain that he'd call back. The prick never did. Not even a call to make sure I was ok.
    I could have been in a lot worse situation than I was but thankfully I only had a cut gum and the scumbags had legged it.

He may have thought you hung up and it was a crank call, he may also have seen on CCTV that you were ok and figured you were every much a prick as you say he was.

How is it the occupy Galway group haven't been frightened out of eyre square by this ongoing warfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

How is it the occupy Galway group haven't been frightened out of eyre square by this ongoing warfare?

Skangers are allergic to hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Scumbags don't usually attack groups

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

OK, I'm going a bit off topic, but if the prisons are overflowing and yet violent crimes are going unpunished, you have to question the state's policy. A few relevant statistics from the Irish Penal Reform Trust:
    • 90.3% of sentenced committals in 2009 were for non-violent offences.
    • 70% of sentenced committals in 2009 were for six months or less.
    Maybe if some of these people were given non-custodial sentences, there would be room to keep violent scumbags off the streets?
    • The average cost of imprisonment per prisoner was €70,513 in 2010.
    So in these times of austerity, when money is being cut from special-needs assistants, hospitals etc, are the authorities handing out fewer custodial sentences - or planning to build more prisons?
    • The prison population has increased by 400% since 1970.
    Of course, in those days Ireland had a church-administered gulag system of industrial schools, magdalene laundries etc into which to disappear socially awkward or undesirable elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep it local and on topic

Advertisement