Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling the East Coast after already doing the West and the Centre

Options
  • 20-10-2011 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

2 years ago I travelled from Adelaide to Alice Springs and had a blast. Saw absolutely amazing places. Breathtaking stuff. This year I spent 3 weeks travelling from Perth to Darwin, and if anything it was even better than the centre. The scenery is just jawdropping and unspoiled, and barely built up at all for tourist purposes. Again met so many people on my tour and had some serious craic.

I love travelling Australia, and I guess the biggest area left for me to do is the East Coast. I live in Melbourne, have done the great ocean road, and have seen Sydney, Blue Mountains and Port Stephens but besides that I havent seen any of it.

My question is, will the East Coast just come across as a disappointment after already doing the West and the Centre? From what I've heard the scenery is not as spectacular, and the route is overly touristy, and full of drunk 19 year old backpackers. Don't get me wrong I love a good drink, but I can do this anywhere (we got pissed most nights on the West) and if I was to go somewhere specifically to drink I would go somewhere a hell of a lot cheaper, like Bali.

So leaving aside the nightlife, what else does the East offer that the West and the Centre lack? I love travelling Australia but I don't want to waste a lot of money and end up disappointed.

Apologies if I come across as a travel snob. Not the intention at all. Just wanting some honest opinions on the East from people who have done extensive travel around Australia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

seriously ur wastin ur time and money..its a hopeless uninspiring trek that leads to nowere..stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - the east, like other parts is what you make it, if you go on a backpacker tour, then yes it's full of backpackers (and the stuff that goes with it)
    But don't think it is just that, thousands of Australians go every year and I'm pretty sure they are not all going on backpacker tours.

Fraser Island and Whitsundays are some of the most beautiful places in Australia.
    I did a more 'luxury' tour of Fraser island (stayed in a hostel rather than beach camp) and I loved it, Whitsundays exact same, you can stay on the islands or even luxury boats etc.

You are right though it is more touristy, mainly because there are more tourists there, and not everything is a 8hr drive away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

seriously ur wastin ur time and money..its a hopeless uninspiring trek that leads to nowere..stay away

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Genuine question.

Advertisement