Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving case usb/1394/audio ports to the 5.5" tray.

Options
  • 20-10-2011 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

PIC: http://imgur.com/RSAOY
    Not sure if this is the right forum. Keep in mind that I am not really a modder, and know nothing about PCB boards etc..
    So I ripped the top of my case off and exposed the top, to allow air to come out of the roof fan. There were 2 extra grills on top of it as it was.
    In the Coolermaster CM690, the extra usb/firewire/audio sockets are on the top, and they had to be removed as well.
    You can see the PCB board of those ports on top of that dodgy card reader, which I just threw in there as a stopgap.
    Anyhow, I was thinking of initially putting the PCB board just into the 5/12 slot, straight on the metal 3.5" adaptor, but would that short circuit and fry everything?
    I don't want that ****ty card reader, but i'm thinking of just attaching the usb and audio bracket to it cos there is a 3.5 inch bracket inside there holding that reader.

So,
    1. If I put that exposed PCB board, straight onto the metal of the tray, will it fry when I turn on the rig?
    2. What is the easiest way to get the PCB board into that slot? Atm, i'm thinking of just screwing or glueing it on top of that card reader. I don't care about aesthetics as you can see.
    3. What is the best way to insulate the bottom of that PCB board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It'll cause trouble ok if you leave it exposed on the metal.

Something simple like insulating tape would be fine to stop that issue as their is no high voltages in play

Screws would be the best thing to use as youd be suprised how much abuse a usb socket will get plugging and unplugging stuff

Advertisement