Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Division 5 Thread

Options
  • 20-10-2011 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭

All conversation relating to Division Five will be held in here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Big enough swing due in places this week. I'm down to 6th from 3rd. Andre Johnson getting hurt is a killer and bye weeks the past two have hurt me pretty badly while haven't hurt my opponents too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I dropped 2 places to 3rd overall. Also been knocked off top spot in my division. These bye weeks have eaten away at my scores. That's what happens when you have no idea what you're doing for the draft and then actually miss the draft. Fluked a decent team though.

I'm looking to off load either Jay Cutler or Roddy White (or maybe even both) for a top WR. I'm open to any and all offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I was 0-2 heading into week 3 (even tho i had the 4th highest pts total) so i controversially dropped my starters like Matt Ryan, Pettigrew, etc to teach them a lesson about their poor performance.

People thought i was crazy, "how will benching Brandon Pettigrew from your fantesy team make him play better in the real world?!?!" they said.

Ye guys dont know nutin' about motivation. So I lost the game but since then, my players have responded to their embarrassing benching and i've gone 3-0. Who's crazy now?

I'm now one game behind the divison leader Gadsden Patriots. I'm coming for ya Gadsden Patriots!! You better watch out!!

Boards Division 5, the grassroots of Fantesy Football, where people play for the love of the game and the thrill of competition.

Unlike the Boards Premier Division, a bunch of pampered, over sexed, prima donnas who are more more worried about their next endorsment deal rather than how many points their TE got on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hazys wrote: »
    I was 0-2 heading into week 3 (even tho i had the 4th highest pts total) so i controversially dropped my starters like Matt Ryan, Pettigrew, etc to teach them a lesson about their poor performance.

People thought i was crazy, "how will benching Brandon Pettigrew from your fantesy team make him play better in the real world?!?!" they said.

Ye guys dont know nutin' about motivation. So I lost the game but since then, my players have responded to their embarrassing benching and i've gone 3-0. Who's crazy now?

I'm now one game behind the divison leader Gadsden Patriots. I'm coming for ya Gadsden Patriots!! You better watch out!!
    Well well well if it isn't my old nemesis team better than awesome. I'll watch out, but not until I play a team on a 5 game losing streak this week, after beating a team on a 5-game losing streak last week. Unfortunately I don't get to play thrash you this regular season despite being in my division, but I could see us eeting in the postseason.

• Advertisement

So, are we taking over the Tash Ticklers or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

There is bad weeks and then there is this.....

Lost graham, Hightower, wells and Santana moss to injury...

Then foster goes for 41 points against me!!!!

C'mon god...what did I do to deserve this!

matthew8 wrote: »
    So, are we taking over the Tash Ticklers or not?

Nope.

Well well well if it isn't my old nemesis team better than awesome. I'll watch out, but not until I play a team on a 5 game losing streak this week, after beating a team on a 5-game losing streak last week. Unfortunately I don't get to play thrash you this regular season despite being in my division, but I could see us eeting in the postseason.

Ha I'm 4-3 now (unless this weeks opp's K gets 30 points tonight) pressure is on...don't crumble now ;)

I went from a good RB situation a few weeks ago to a RB needy situation now. I had 3 starters, McGahee, Benson and AP...McGahee broke his hand yesterday and Goodell suspended Benson...worst timing with all the bye weeks coming up so i'll have my fingers crossed that McGahee's injury isnt that bad and Benson can sucessfully apeal his ban.

Ha I'm 4-3 now (unless this weeks opp's K gets 30 points tonight) pressure is on...don't crumble now ;)

I went from a good RB situation a few weeks ago to a RB needy situation now. I had 3 starters, McGahee, Benson and AP...McGahee broke his hand yesterday and Goodell suspended Benson...worst timing with all the bye weeks coming up so i'll have my fingers crossed that McGahee's injury isnt that bad and Benson can sucessfully apeal his ban.

Needy running back situation and AP in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron.

• Advertisement

I had RB's on sunday with

Beanie Wells
    Earnest Graham
    Torain
    hightower
    Knowshon moreno

now I have torain and moreno!

Had been hoping to move up in the standings this week but the two teams ahead of me won as well. Figured out there that I have the best score differential in the league, 145.52. Would prefer the number one ranking though.

This weeks game should be a laugh. Both of us will be missing our defence and kicker. I'll be down Roddy White as well. Hoping that Drew Brees continues on from last week. A ridiculous score to post from him.

Every game is must win at this stage to try and get a bye in the playoffs. The byes are making it real difficult although they won't really affect me until the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Every game is must win at this stage to try and get a bye in the playoffs. The byes are making it real difficult although they won't really affect me until the following week.

Agreed, i'm ranked 4th and didnt move up either as all top 3 won again. 2 clear in my division though. Not predicting a big score from my team this week though.

Big week this for me, hoping to win my 3rd in a row and get another win in before my week of death, which is week 9 when I am missing Calvin Johnson and Cam Newton i.e the majority of my points.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Had a shocker at the weekend. It seems that RBs are dropping like flies.
    Jahvid Best out for me is a disaster.

Made a hasty decision and brought in Scobee as kicker to cover for Crosby. Bit of a gamble on the back of his performance last weekend but any amount of points is a plus in that area for me. I'm only missing 2 now due to the bye week.

The rest of my team is pretty solid. I'm projected to beat him by 28 points with Brees looking at 32 points compared to Tebow's 16. I know they're not too accurate at times but if they're anywhere around that then I'd be happy. just want to get these bye weeks out of the way now.

Barring Demarco Murray beating his performance from last week and a few other freak performances, it looks like i'm moving into 1st place in Div 4.

Not bad after a 0-3 start, then a 5 game winning streak now 5-3 :cool:

Barring Demarco Murray beating his performance from last week and a few other freak performances, it looks like i'm moving into 1st place in Div 4.

Next week will be a must win for me, with a rotten schedule in the last 4 games. I'll get you, you scoundrel. Count yourself lucky I'm not on your schedule.

Next week:
    No Calvin Johnson, no Cam Newton, bottom taken out of team. However my opponent loses Jones-Drew.

I think for the first time in weeks I'll be active on the waiver wire, which means I'll go after around 5 players.

Just looked ahead at your game next week, prepare to get thrashed.

It's warming up nicely in division 5. Took down another number one seed this week.....

Wire is very bare, if you are looking for bodies, you should have already done it....

Already covered myself for a bad looking week 11

• Advertisement

It's warming up nicely in division 5. Took down another number one seed this week.....

Wire is very bare, if you are looking for bodies, you should have already done it....

Ahem, Green-Ellis and the good Mike Williams are on the wire.

Time to assess my team situation:
    QB: Cam Newton, sorted.
    RB: Lynch, Jacobs, Bush and Murray, not quite sorted but happy enough and I will be in a great spot if I get Green-Ellis.
    WR: C. Johnson, Little, Nelson, obviously I have the best WR in the league but until Colt McCoy learns to play well Little has very little (pardon the pun) value while Nelson is a solid number 2 option as a no. 2 WR in a fully functional passing attack. Hopefully I get Mike Williams in which case I will have, in my opinion, the best situation in the league.
    TE: Winslow, happy.
    K: Last week had Mare, and I don't think I'll be the only one dropping him. In this position apart from long distance kickers like Janikowski and Crosby it's all about backing the right horse on Sunday. So far I have done that once.
    DEF: There are around 10 defenses who you can stick with for the season, unfortunately I don't have any of them so I'll never be sorted.

Just looked ahead at your game next week, prepare to get thrashed.

I lose AP to the bye week but i get Benson and Jennings back (fingers crossed for McGahee also), so itll be a tough matchup.

He has Ray Rice but Ravens play Steelers next week and they dont give up too much on the ground...well hopefully not like the 1st game of the season anyway

Time to assess my team situation:
    QB: Cam Newton, sorted.
    RB: Lynch, Jacobs, Bush and Murray, not quite sorted but happy enough and I will be in a great spot if I get Green-Ellis.
    WR: C. Johnson, Little, Nelson, obviously I have the best WR in the league but until Colt McCoy learns to play well Little has very little (pardon the pun) value while Nelson is a solid number 2 option as a no. 2 WR in a fully functional passing attack. Hopefully I get Mike Williams in which case I will have, in my opinion, the best situation in the league.
    TE: Winslow, happy.
    K: Last week had Mare, and I don't think I'll be the only one dropping him. In this position apart from long distance kickers like Janikowski and Crosby it's all about backing the right horse on Sunday. So far I have done that once.
    DEF: There are around 10 defenses who you can stick with for the season, unfortunately I don't have any of them so I'll never be sorted.

That squad not good enough to contend i'm afraid....
    Zero depth at wr or RB if you get injuries....
    Newton missing game 9, green Ellis not getting carries....

Amazed you are 5-3, weak division no doubt

That squad not good enough to contend i'm afraid....
    Well I have the best record in the league, until tomorrow, at which point one guy will be ahead of me.
    Zero depth at wr or RB if you get injuries....
    WR you're spot on, but RB? I had 3 guys who started on the weekend, and as it happened they're done with their bye weeks.
    Newton missing game 9, green Ellis not getting carries....
    Newton may be missing game 9, but I don't have Green-Ellis. If I get him I have 3 starters and 2 prominent backups.
    Amazed you are 5-3, weak division no doubt

Eh, what? AFAIK my division has little bearing on my schedule, as I don't play one of the other guys in my division.

You are seventh.

Your last five games are all tough, you have to play a number of top teams.

Your RB core is poor. Lynch plays for Seattle, bush Miami, Jacobs very much no.2 and injured, Murray is breakout but he's a marked man now.

At wr you have even bigger issues outside megatron.

Your te, k and def are not top tier in any way.

I reckon it's very tough for you going forward.

You also told me earlier in the season that you were happy with Donovan mcnabb over cam Newton, you made a case for mcnabb. Until I traded him to you for beanie wells.

So i can't take you seriously.

And you have already played the whipping boys,aka tash ticklers

Well I'd like to wade into this lovers tiff and offer up my opinions on my own team.

QB
    - Can't get much better or more consistent than Drew Brees. 2700 yards and 19 TDs says it all really.
    - My back up in the shape Jay Cutler is ploughing along nicely as well. He'll be a more than capable stand in when Brees has his bye.

RB
    - Again you can't get much better than LeSean McCoy. 8 rushing TDs and 2 passing TDs. His worst week was 11 points, which is better than some players best week.
    - Jonathan Stewart is going well as the second RB in my team. I'd love to have a guy in there that could keep up with McCoy scoring wise but I'm happy enough for the moment.
    - I only brought in Donald Brown the other week and he hasn't figured at all really. Can't remember why I brought him in but he'll be leaving soon again anyway.

WR
    - This is by far my most irritating position. I have Roddy White who was tipped to do very well this season. He's had an injury for large chunks of the season which hasn't helped matters. He's been my biggest disappointment.
    - Brandon Marshall is pretty much the same. I think he has the most dropped passes in the league. If he'd caught a few of them then I'd probably be at the top of the leaderboard at this moment.
    - Roy Williams, I left him on the bench for his only stand-out performance of the season so far. I still won the game but it was frustrating. Not really sure what to do with him for now.

TE
    - Rob Gronkowski was on fire at the start of the season. His scores for the first three games were 14, 21, 22. Can't ask for anything more from a TE. He tailed off recently but signs that he's getting back into the rhythm of it all with a team high seven passes for 94 yards at the weekend. It helps if Tom Brady is your QB.
    - Dallas Clark would have been my starting TE I'd say if it weren't for the injury to Peyton Manning. He hasn't got a look in at all. Only two TDs as well. I'm glad I've Gronkowski.

K
    - Mason Crosby is a divil for the long field goals. He's had plenty in the 30-39 range, afew in the 40-49 range and two whoppers in the 50+ range. When you have a guy like him in your team who's capable of them kicks then it's like having a top WR or RB in your team.
    - I brought Josh Scobee in for the bye and he did nothing for me. I got him a week too late. He had 3 from 50+ yards the week before. I'll be dropping him when I get the chance.

DEF
    - I've been a bit disappointed with the Green Bay Packers so far. I expected some big time scores from them but it's been anything but. They've had a few average weeks but I'm hoping they'll pick it up now after the break for the bye. They're still unbeaten so they must be doing something right.

Overall I'm happy enough with my team. I've 4 players who are in the top-3 scoring categories in their respective position (Brees, McCoy, Gronkowki, Crosby). No one else is even close to that number so I'm pretty pleased with that.

I've got a WR who some people were ranking above Megatron in the pre-season and a defence that were tipped to be the best in the league this season. If either of them can get back to their best then I'll be in with a good shout come then business end of the season.

thats a strong team above.

I've got:
    Vick at QB - top 5 QB, still hasnt rushed for a td this year, but consistently strong and Eagles are starting to roll.

RB - Beanie Wells - knee injury problems, but had a 14 point game vs the ravens last week.
    Torain - with the terrible redskins, so not much upside there.
    Knowshon Moreno, no upside here apart from the fact that he's a no.2. could possibly have a breakout week with his speed, but haven't seen signs of it.
    picked up Lumpkin last week if Blount is still out injured.

WR - Marques Colston - one of the best around on his day. Is seeing team high targets and is a consistent no.1 performer when fit.
    Pierre Garcon - even in spite of curtis painter he is still seeing team high targets. Solid performer. 8th in NFL
    Michael Crabtree has been solid even though he never gets a look in, cos of above.
    michael Jenkins is fine as a backup

TE - Owen daniels - gets plenty of targets but rarely gets that elusive TD. Disappointed with him, but hes seventh ranked in the NFL.
    Shiancoe as a backup.

DEF - Giants D - sack like crazy but give up points....they'll do fine for the rest of the season.

K - Kasay - FA pickup prior to round one. 2nd in NFL

So, its an ok team. Feel there is a big week in there somewhere. My trade of Newton for Wells looks like it could backfire, but no use having two unbelievable QB's.

• Advertisement

- Can't get much better or more consistent than Drew Brees. 2700 yards and 19 TDs says it all really.

- My back up in the shape Jay Cutler is ploughing along nicely as well. He'll be a more than capable stand in when Brees has his bye.
    Obviously you have a very good QB situation, enough said.
    RB
    - Again you can't get much better than LeSean McCoy. 8 rushing TDs and 2 passing TDs. His worst week was 11 points, which is better than some players best week.
    - Jonathan Stewart is going well as the second RB in my team. I'd love to have a guy in there that could keep up with McCoy scoring wise but I'm happy enough for the moment.
    - I only brought in Donald Brown the other week and he hasn't figured at all really. Can't remember why I brought him in but he'll be leaving soon again anyway.
    I'm kicking myself for drafting Charles instead of McCoy, he was my second choice, though admittedly by some distance. He's obviously brilliant, though I would seek to get a better number 2. Jonathan Stewart and Donald Brown won't win you any games.
    WR
    - This is by far my most irritating position. I have Roddy White who was tipped to do very well this season. He's had an injury for large chunks of the season which hasn't helped matters. He's been my biggest disappointment.
    - Brandon Marshall is pretty much the same. I think he has the most dropped passes in the league. If he'd caught a few of them then I'd probably be at the top of the leaderboard at this moment.
    - Roy Williams, I left him on the bench for his only stand-out performance of the season so far. I still won the game but it was frustrating. Not really sure what to do with him for now.
    You really ought to drop Roy Williams. The Bears are extremely unreliable and in general it's best to stay away from their WRs because there are 4 guys who seem to alternate as being Cutler's favourite target, and they all have to compete with Matt Forte. Brandon Marshall this year must be frustrating to own but for most people he'd be an upgrade at WR. I don't know what's going on with Roddy White so I won't say anything and I'll just be glad that you took him over megatron.
    TE
    - Rob Gronkowski was on fire at the start of the season. His scores for the first three games were 14, 21, 22. Can't ask for anything more from a TE. He tailed off recently but signs that he's getting back into the rhythm of it all with a team high seven passes for 94 yards at the weekend. It helps if Tom Brady is your QB.
    - Dallas Clark would have been my starting TE I'd say if it weren't for the injury to Peyton Manning. He hasn't got a look in at all. Only two TDs as well. I'm glad I've Gronkowski.
    That is a truly top notch TE situation. The Gronk on his own is brilliant, and Dallas Clark is obviously a guy you can put in if Rob is injured.
    K
    - Mason Crosby is a divil for the long field goals. He's had plenty in the 30-39 range, afew in the 40-49 range and two whoppers in the 50+ range. When you have a guy like him in your team who's capable of them kicks then it's like having a top WR or RB in your team.
    - I brought Josh Scobee in for the bye and he did nothing for me. I got him a week too late. He had 3 from 50+ yards the week before. I'll be dropping him when I get the chance.
    Mason Crosby brings back some bad memories of losing to you by 11, and him scoring 11 more than my kicker.
    DEF
    - I've been a bit disappointed with the Green Bay Packers so far. I expected some big time scores from them but it's been anything but. They've had a few average weeks but I'm hoping they'll pick it up now after the break for the bye. They're still unbeaten so they must be doing something right.
    You're right to be disappointed, but the waiver wire is very thin.
    I've got a WR who some people were ranking above Megatron in the pre-season and a defence that were tipped to be the best in the league this season. If either of them can get back to their best then I'll be in with a good shout come then business end of the season.
    Roddy White could become a superstar again, and if he does he's unstoppable.

I asked this question a while back and got no answer: Who are the top 4 that get promoted? Is it last 4 in the playoffs, or top 4 in the table?

Advertisement