Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards PPR League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Stoopid ESPn didn't save my team changes. Bench flying while half my team on byes/injured.

grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

And my wonderful streak comes to an end, 7-0 and about to go 7-1. It had to happen sometime :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Alfred Morris and Stevie Johnson are available for an elite receiver. You're getting an RB1 and a top 20 WR so please no one come back to me with Andre Johnson or Hakeem Nicks.

Lost to my nemesis TO 116-118 this week, barring stat corrections.

:mad:

I'll get you in the play-offs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Yes! A win! It took me until week 9 to get it. I had visions of going 0-14, at least that´s not going to happen. Second highest score of the week too, Luck, Leshure and Decker went off for me. Just another 5 wins and I'll be 6-8. :D

It's been a pathetic season so far for me, combination of bad drafting and bad luck with injuries. Just on that, I've had the first waiver position every week since the beginning of the season. This was voted in, "reverse order of standings" was the majority preference, but I think my situation shows how wrong that is. Why should I be rewarded every week just because my team sucks?

Think we should look at FAB next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Syferus wrote: »

I'll get you in the play-offs ;)

I will let Homer answer this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Ignored a trade offer from VT (Syferus?). Sorry bout that, was a bit busy and thought I'd be able to get to it today. Think I would've turned it down because of Daniels' injury.

Well I actually cancelled it myself with Harvin's injury likely netting Rudolph more looks this week. Still looking for a WR upgrade for any of my RB except Lynch and any two of my WRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

fisgon wrote: »
    Just on that, I've had the first waiver position every week since the beginning of the season. This was voted in, "reverse order of standings" was the majority preference, but I think my situation shows how wrong that is. Why should I be rewarded every week just because my team sucks?

+1. I'm on the other side, started off 4-0, cooled off to 6-3 now but my good record has meant I've no chance at decent waiver-wire pickups all season.

I don't think it makes a massive difference to results, but with one of the lowest priorities every week, there's been no point in me submitting any waiver requests this year. Waiver-wire pickups is one of the fun things about fantasy, so it sucks to be effectively cut out of it (I know I can get free-agents, but you're left with the discards and it's not as much fun....you get excited when your waiver-claim is successful, not so much when you pick up a free-agent that no-one else wanted).

I suppose the thinking behind the reset is that it allows lower teams to recover. But in practice, the season isn't long enough for teams to recover from a bad start (and waiver-wire players don't make a big enough difference). So what happens is, teams who start badly get all the picks for the entire season, and people who start well get no chance at them.

The other way is fairer, gives everyone an equal chance. I know it was voted on, which is fair enough, but people who voted for it should probably consider how well it worked compared to the regular boards one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

fisgon wrote: »
    I've had the first waiver position every week since the beginning of the season. This was voted in, "reverse order of standings" was the majority preference, but I think my situation shows how wrong that is. Why should I be rewarded every week just because my team sucks?

Think we should look at FAB next year.
    Thats the way the NFL works so why should we be playing our game differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Well I actually cancelled it myself with Harvin's injury likely netting Rudolph more looks this week. Still looking for a WR upgrade for any of my RB except Lynch and any two of my WRs.

huh I was wondering why the deadline was early in the morning.

fwiw I haven't had any issues with the waiver order.

Waiver situation is fine as is. We voted on it already so I really don't see what there is to discuss now, it's not like how it works is some revelation to anyone in the league - it's a default setting in all of fantasy fantasy football.

I also feel you'd need a unanimous or at least 2/3 majority to change something as basic as waiver wire systems in a league, not just a simply majority. The onus should on the people wanting to change something to get it in, not on people to defend what is already there.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thats the way the NFL works so why should we be playing our game differently?

Because we are playing a different game. Waiver players in the actual NFL are discards from 53-man rosters, they're much less significant. Waiver players in fantasy can be active starters. e.g. MJD gets injured, Rashad Jennings suddenly becomes extremely valuable. There's no equivalent for this in the actual NFL.
    Waiver situation is fine as is. We voted on it already so I really don't see what there is to discuss now, it's not like how it works is some revelation to anyone in the league - it's a default setting in all of fantasy fantasy football.
    It being the default setting is no argument to its merits. It's also not the setting in the 8 regular boards divisions.

It's not going to be changed this season but worth looking at how it worked. From my experience, it's worked badly. It's effectively prevented me from taking part in the waiver-wire part of the game. And I'm just surprised the idea of a waiver-system that players have equal access to, is something that people are against.

It won a vote only a few weeks ago. It's a bit much trying to bring it up as an issue again so soon. The league is years old with little if any complaints about it before now. I don't like messing with the margins of what's already working, even outside of the fact I've never been fond of the non-resetting claim system employed by the boards.ie tiered league. I like the different flavour of the PPR league and wouldn't be keen on homogenising the waiver system.

If we're to go through the whole process of making changes it should be for something game-changing like going to a keeper or dynasty system, or maybe an auction draft, and not something so marginal as waiver order priorities.

It won a vote only a few weeks ago. It's a bit much trying to bring it up as an issue again so soon. The league is years old with little if any complaints about it before now. I don't like messing with the margins of what's already working, even outside of the fact I've never been fond of the non-resetting claim system employed by the boards.ie tiered league. I like the different flavour of the PPR league and wouldn't be keen on homogenising the waiver system.

If we're to go through the whole process of making changes it should be for something game-changing like going to a keeper or dynasty system, or maybe an auction draft, and not something so marginal as waiver order priorities.

I think it's worth reviewing next year. IIRC it was beaten by one vote, so nearly half the people who voted were against it. Worth reviewing to see how it played out. Just giving some feedback while it's fresh in my mind.

I was gonna mention it earlier in the season because it was pissing me off. Some good waiver wire player became available, and I remembered 'oh yeah, I have no chance of that because of the waiver system they use'.

Every Wednesday in the division-4 league is a day of interest for me with waiver-claims processed that night. Every Tuesday, the equivalent on here, I can have no interest in. I don't know how that's good that you're disengaging people from the game.

It doesn't even solve the problem it's supposed to of balancing things out (which is not a problem). In division-4 with the non-reset system, we have one 1-8 team, one 2-7 team, and everyone else has 3+ wins (and with 16 teams, you'd expect more extremes). On here, one 1-8 team, two 2-7 teams, and everyone with 3+ wins.

Waiver picks won't turn a bad team into a good team. But they can be important in getting an edge between closely matched teams. We'll go into the playoffs in a few weeks, and the teams that will contest them will have had pretty much no access to the decent waiver picks all season.

What in any way does results in one league mean for a completely independent league? The wild difference in records has everything to do with the randomness of team make-ups and very little to do with the waiver systems in the two leagues. What you've done is a classic case of confirmation bias.

Obviously, if anything the one the PPR league makes it somewhat easier for the weaker teams to compete.

If you make the playoffs the last thing you should be worried about is waiver wire picks. Allowing the stronger to get stronger just because they will be playing in the post-season and might benefit from a wire player is as much of a FU as you can get to the rest of the league. It's a quick way to make people even less active when things go wrong early. At least you always have the lottery ticket that might just given you an edge the next week.

A good pick-up can be season changing. I remember getting Stevie Johnson off the wire the year he emerged and it entirely changed the tone of my team. I ended up winning the league out. It doesn't happen often, but I'd prefer that chance to be open to the weaker teams than the play-off contenders getting someone who 'might' give them an edge late in the season.

Your preferred system benefits less people than the one currently in place. For me it entirely boils down to inclusiveness and I could care less how playoff teams (even if I'm one of them) 'suffer' for the sake of a better league for everyone else.

The argument about how the NFL manages waivers is, as Padraig said, totally irrelevant. A twelve team PPR fantasy football league is not anything close to the NFL, it´s nothing like it.

And of course I'm not suggesting changing it this year. But if anyone has ever used FAB, that is a much better system, I didn't realise that it was available on ESPN but it is, I should have proposed it initially, that was my bad. Basically, if anyone doesn't know how it works, every team has $100 free agent budget at the beginning of the year, and each week each player bids on free agents. The bids are secret, so it keeps an element of suspense. So in theory every team has a chance at every free agent pick up. If involves more thought and strategy, and is much fairer.

Right now I'm embarrassed at constantly having number 1 waiver claim. I've benefited from it, and continue to say that it's not a fair system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Three things:

Comparing a fantasy football waiver system to the pros is fooking ridiculous as others have pointed out.

Its also ridiculous to say we cannot enter into discussion about certain rules at the end of the season especially when it was close to a 50/50 split.

Having said all that I am one of the leaders and have had no problems using the Waivers or FA in the current system.

The one thing i really like about all the boards leagues is the variety. We have all 3 waiver rules in play in different leagues. As was mentioned above the waiver rules do not have a major impact on the results. Ive been last in the waiver order for pretty much the whole year and while i have obviously missed out on most waiver wire targets the truth is there was nobody there that would have seriously made a significant improvement on my team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What's the moaning for? We had a vote and everyone who wanted to have their say did so. Sorry but if the vote didn't go our way, tough.

Also there's absolutely no way any rule should change mid season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I personally like the idea that somebody who had a bad draft or even missed the draft has a chance to improve moreso than the team who had a great draft and is flying. I like the idea that teams can become more competitive over the course of the season.

And even if you are at the end of the waiver wire you can still make it work pretty well for you if you understand it.

Congratulations to Dangerous Rebels for his victory in the PPR league final last weekend. He went into the playoffs as the lowest seeded team and ended up the winner.

See you all next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

This going again?

Absolutely. Can't wait to beat you so deep into the ground you end up in New Zealand, TO.

Absolutely. Can't wait to beat you so deep into the ground you end up in New Zealand, TO.

Yawn. Those who smack talk should really be able to back it up. Keep trying though. Oh and learn how to smack talk properly also.

TO. wrote: »
    Yawn. Those who smack talk should really be able to back it up. Keep trying though. Oh and learn how to smack talk properly also.

I'm sorry, man. I didn't mean to offend you.

I'm sorry, man. I didn't mean to offend you.

Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

I've set this up again, as far as I can see if you were in last year then you can just go to the league home page again, sign in and continue. Link here..

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=778149

Anyone have any trouble, you can let me know.

Syferus and TO have already expressed an interest to rejoin. If people from last year want to continue, please post here to confirm. Thanks.

(PS I'll leave talk of setting the draft time until later, maybe let the main boards leagues set theirs first and try to find a time in between.)

I'm in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Count me in.

Advertisement