Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avalon House Hostel review

Options
  • 20-10-2011 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

From matures mans perspective:

Never stayed in City hostel before. Mid week one night stay. The common rooms smaller than I expected would suit the younger generation ok, but doubt that it would feel right with mixed ages.Very French type of place, staff and lots of customers French. Day staff very Helpful and accommodating. Did see more older people than I at first expected. Lift. Security good. Free computers/net/wi fi. I imagine first and second floors could be a bit noisy. I had room 416, 4bed shared dorm with on suite. €20 per night. Only one other quite/repectful fellow in there, I had one small bag so did he but if 4 people with the usual tourist bags the room would be really cramped. Very clean. shower push button type with bursts of water/small area, not the best but you get by. Hand basin is that, tiny. Water not boiling, bring electric razor.Two windows in bedroom facing out over side street on 4th floor. 'Very' warm at night. No food available after 6pmish and only a hot drink vending machine/tiny cup in reception €2.
    Breakfast is free in the attached cafe. eat as much cereal toast coffee tea jam etc as you want. (the toaster's bloody slow lol ) The cafe part which is open all day is a bit trendy selling ultra healthy foods such as quiche with broccoli virtually growing out of it, 1000 different types of coffee available so I ask for a...'cup of coffee please'.. I am getting old, doesn't seem to exist anymore, have to wait till i get home again lol and is a bit on the expensive side. Plenty of cheap take aways nearby. The best of which is 'Ricks Hamburgers' at top of road junction with Dame street (on Dame street side), brilliant burgers, brilliant price, brilliant service, I was impressed and not expecting it, oh, and tea is only €1.50!

I would go back to Avalon only if I could get same room at that high level (4th floor) and hope that only one other person is in there, bit of long shot that I suppose. To sum up I pretty much got what I payed for in that location.

Thats it, hope it may be useful to somebody.

Good luck.

If anyone wants to post this review on Tripadvisor or the like feel free. I don't like creating accounts with those sites which you have to do in order to post.

Advertisement