Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog rig for excercising Huskey wanted

• 20-10-2011 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

So, my little female husky is just under a year now and what an adventure it has been! She has been attending obedience classes with her two German Shephard sisters and is really coming on in leaps and bounds (Once you have a pocket full of sausages that is!)
    It's about time now where I teach her some commands and get her out running... Had considered a bikejoring rig BUT i reckon I would be much happier with a dog rig instead to be able to make use of the miles of quiet beach not far from me! Only problem being the price of these rigs... for someone who is most likely never going to compete and just want it for some fun and excercise for my little monster, those €600+ rigs are way out of budget SOOOOO, it is a complete longshot but if any of the lovely boardsies has a second hand rig for sale or would like to make me one, please let me know!
    Kim.
    Raheny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Hi

I'd be interested also for my 10mth old husky. I currently use this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Biker-Set-Dog-Lead/dp/B00121UG64/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1319101579&sr=8-8

but would be interested in a small rig too. I have the curragh beside me with loads of room so would love to start this with him too

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

You might find this interesting about husky mushing in Ireland and all that entails with it. http://www.tailsandtrails.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Yup, I was considering one of the bikejoring converter kits but to be totally honest I think that it's very possible that I would cream myself going over the handlebars!
    After two days of scouring the internet I have come up with very little that is affordable and local...... REALLY dont want to resign myself to a sucky scooter! :D (No offence scooterers)

Oh and cheers, tails and trails seem to be a great resource, sadly tho, second hand rigs are like gold dust and there are none there either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    REALLY dont want to resign myself to a sucky scooter! :D (No offence scooterers)

None taken!

I use both a bike and a scooter (at different times, obviously!) to exercise our three dogs, and I have to say that the scooter is a lot of fun.

If you ever want to try either the bike or the scooter, drop me a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

One husky shouldn't pull a rig, its too heavy, they are only for 2 or more dogs. If you want to mush with one dog, use a scooter or a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

i would be interested in a scooter for now. Where would the best place to start looking for a good 2nd hand one or reasonably priced new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i would be interested in a scooter for now. Where would the best place to start looking for a good 2nd hand one or reasonably priced new one?

If you put a post up on tails and trails, they have a trading post area, someone might be selling one. Scooters aren't as hard to get hold of as rigs:)

I know of one for sale in Sligo. There is a Facebook group called mushers exchange, people buy and sell mushing gear on there, mainly in the UK, but Irish mushers use it as well.

ISDW fret not, we have two GSD's aswell, its just convincing the bf to let me take his two ladies out running too! :)

But perhaps the scooter would be a lot less hassle in fairness! :)

Advertisement