Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Gas Fireplace with Open Fire

• 20-10-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope some of you may be able to help.

Money is tight at the moment so wanted to get some advice before I start spending money.

I currently have a gas fire installed in the sitting room. It is just connected to a gas cylinder out the back and not the mains. There is a little isolating valve near the chimney breast which could be capped off easy enough.

Is it just as simple as taking out the gas fire and getting a hearth and tray and hey presto we have an open fireplace. The house is a general semi detached. The gas fire was an option at the end of the build, other houses on the development have open fires.

Do any of ye know anything about how big a job this might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

based on what you have written, I am assuming there is a hearth, there is no job, just disconnect the cylinder and cap off the pipe and get the grate etc.

In passing, why not consider a glass fronted gas fire, much more efficient than open fire and will make house much cosier as no heat loss up chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

You could disconnect the cylinder, remove the fittings to the gas pipe and leave that pipe open but turn it downwards to prevent water ingress. Then cap the pipe outside the chimney breast. Once the cylinder is disconnected it is no longer a gas pipe and not covered by the reg`s.

I have 2 glass fronted gas fireplaces and I'm getting rid of both.

They give great heat if you are standing in front of them, but do little to actually heat up the rooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You must ensure the flue is suitable for an open fire.
    If the chimney was originally built for an open fire in mind it should have clay flue liners but a smaller bore 1-piece flexible liner may have been inserted for the gas fire. I think you'll have to remove this insert as its not suited to dirty tar laden smoke from open fires.

If the chimney was built for a gas fire then you may not even have clay liners so you could have a bigger job.

Do you have a proper fireback too?

Advertisement