Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Problem

• 20-10-2011 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with the small radiator in the ensuite bathroom - it dosent heat up and hasn't worked since i moved in 2 yrs ago. All other heaters in house are fine. I tried to bleed it but no air came out. Its a small heater and hung high on wall over toilet - one pipe going into top another into bottom - I actually disconnected the pipe going into top and expected water to start coming out but not a drop - any suggestions? Hse is quite old any one of the other heaters gets airlocked every few mths but works fine when its un airlocked. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it an open or closed system? Have you opened the valves the whole way both sides of the rad to see if there's any change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Sorry for late reply - damm phone. Not sure if opened or closed system - its a gas boiler in kitchen and there is 2 plastic water tanks in attic one big one small. I opened the top pipe going into radiator fully - i expected water to come seeping out but not a drop? Maybe there is so much air in the system that no water can get through? Should i unscrew pipe going into bottom of radiator. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Try turning all the other rads off
    this will force your ensuite rad to heat up
    when this happens turn the others back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Sorry for late reply - damm phone. Not sure if opened or closed system - its a gas boiler in kitchen and there is 2 plastic water tanks in attic one big one small. I opened the top pipe going into radiator fully - i expected water to come seeping out but not a drop? Maybe there is so much air in the system that no water can get through? Should i unscrew pipe going into bottom of radiator. Thanks for your reply

Check if there is water in the small tank in the attic this is the water supply to your heating then follow the pipe from the boytom of this tank down into your hotpress and make sure the valve on the pipe is open fully , you said that you opened the pipe going into the top of the rad fully , do you mean that you disconnected it from the rad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

It sounds very much like a rad for a gravity system or a heat leak for an older boiler, turn the upstairs rads off and see if any heat comes through.

• Advertisement

Ya i disconnected top pipe into radiator and not a drop of water? Strange. Will try what is suggested and get back to ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Ya i disconnected top pipe into radiator and not a drop of water? Strange. Will try what is suggested and get back to ye

I wonder is it connected to the system at all, I put a rad on a bathroom wall that I was tilling putting connections through the floor boards before the floor tiles went in but haven't gotten around to connecting it up to the landing yet.

Great news I did as ye suggested and turned off other heaters and radiator is heating up now - but only on the left hand side ie side where pipe connections are coming in/out. I tries bleeding it on the right side but no air coming out.
    Any other suggestions. Just to note the 2 tanks in the attic are in fact joined together

try bleeding it now
    sorry re read your post(you have bled it)

fully open up valves on both sides of rad
    you will need to use the cap with the slots in it for both sides

• Advertisement

john try the plumbing forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320
    you may get more qualified replies there
    im only an amateur;)

It is gradually getting warmer but still cold in top right hand section - i tried bleeding it but no water or air coming out. Thanks lads all great advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If you have no air or water coming out when you are trying to bleed it you nred to top up your heatinv system , check in your hotpress for a filler valve ,

Thanks Meercat and all other posters - its heating up 100% now - hopefully it will work tomorrow too when i turn back on the rest of the radiators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks Meercat and all other posters - its heating up 100% now - hopefully it will work tomorrow too when i turn back on the rest of the radiators.

Make sure you re-adjust your lockshield valve back again to the rough position it was in before, else it will affect the heating of the rest of the rads.

Turned on rest of heaters last night - but when i set the heat for this morning the one in bathroom was cold again. Any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

You need to balance the system. Close off all the other rads. Let the top one heat up. Close off the rads on top with the slotted valve (you have to unscrew the and lift the cap to get at the valve). Open each valve slightly until it heats up. Carry on with all the rads in the same way.

What happens is that there's a strong flow of water if the valves are too open and there's not enough pressure left to get to the topmost ones.

Also, as suggested, check that little tank in the attic!

You might get a better idea from this link.

Heater is bathroom heats up then it stops heating - not sure reason - also the gas boiler sounds like a whinging noise coming from it - any sugeestions. Would i need to top up the boiler? How do i do this - there is a pipe with valve over boiler and if i open it it will let water out to outside but cant see any pipe to fill boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've had similar issues with my central heating system which is only 4 years old. In my case there was a small leak that was causing the system to drain down over time and so there wasn't enough water pressure in the system to heat up all the rads. I fixed the leak and this helped but I had to balance the radiators to get it working properly.

You could also take a look at your central heating pump to see if its operating at the top speed. Its usually marked 1, 2, 3. Try turning it to "3" to see if this helps.

As you said your system is old, it might be filled with sludge. A power flush will clean out the pipework and radiators and give them a new lease of life.

After you've tried all the simple solutions, it might be best to get a heating engineer in to assess the system and give it a good service, especially with winter on the way.

Advertisement