Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

241 people in my tree - is that average?

• 20-10-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Wondering what's the approx number of people in the average family tree?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It really depends on how long you've been working on the family, and also how prolific each family is.

There's just shy of 1000 people in my tree, which includes siblings and descent where I have it. There's 2 families with 12 or more children though and I have been working on my tree on and off for 20 years.

If you wanted to judge how far on average one could go back, it would be better re-phrase the question as "what does your direct ancestry tree look like?"

EG: Most people will start off knowing their 2 parents and 4 grandparents, and some of the 8 great-grandparents.

I would have extensive detail of all those generations, plus good details of all my gg-grandparents, I know names and some detail on 25/32 of my ggg-grandparents and names and a little bit about 7/64 of the gggg generation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

pinky - are your family primarily from Ireland? Just curious as my mother's side from Ireland, father's from US and my husband is Ireland/Scotland. I am struggling most with the Irish sides since there isn't as much on line and so much lost record wise.

Have a little over 1100 people in my ancestry tree but not all my own work. Have connected with distant cousins tracing the same families on ancestry for both my husband and my families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

602 in mine, split into two trees - but I'm very fussy about who gets added, and some side branches are not added yet. I require 'beyond reasonable doubt' evidence before someone is added.

I have a much larger 'possibles' tree, many of these I keep as exclusion evidence

Shane

pinkypinky wrote: »
    EG: Most people will start off knowing their 2 parents and 4 grandparents, and some of the 8 great-grandparents.

I would have extensive detail of all those generations, plus good details of all my gg-grandparents, I know names and some detail on 25/32 of my ggg-grandparents and names and a little bit about 7/64 of the gggg generation.

just realized that's something I've haven't worked out recently - must have a look. I have a few of the gtgtgtggt generation... although very little details

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I have 882 confirmed ancestors with 211 on the sidelines awaiting definite confirmation. That's over 8 generations (2 down, me and 5 up). Earliest birth ggg-grandfather 1785 in Scotland & average lifespan 58 years, 1 month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

pinky - are your family primarily from Ireland? Just curious as my mother's side from Ireland, father's from US and my husband is Ireland/Scotland. I am struggling most with the Irish sides since there isn't as much on line and so much lost record wise.

Have a little over 1100 people in my ancestry tree but not all my own work. Have connected with distant cousins tracing the same families on ancestry for both my husband and my families.

One great-great grandmother from Wales, and I have details of her parents/grandparents but otherwise all Ireland.

I too am fussy about who goes in the tree! I have some unconfirmed people waiting in the wings.

Also, most of what was lost was censuses, all the civil records are intact and we have good parish records too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

calculations done -

all details back to gg-grandparents
    23/32 of my ggg-grandparents
    and 8 of my gggg-grandparents

scattered between Co. Dublin, Dublin City, Co. Wicklow, Co. Offaly, possibly Co. Armagh, also Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, and Bristol (Somerset/Gloucestershire). Also side branches in Scotland

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

ok, all details of 8/8 g-grandparents, names and some details of 14/16 gg-grandparents, 15/32 ggg-grandparents and 9/64 gggg-grandparents. This would be all my own work.

I was able to connect in with people who have some details further back on my father's side but I am very selective on checking their sources first. On my mother's side, mother and I did all of the work back to ggg-grandfather and later connected with mother's second cousin who helped fill in some blanks as to other branches of family.

On my husbands side, his second cousin contacted me and again filled in some blanks with other branches.

Have been very grateful and touched at how generous people can be in sharing copies of documents/certificates/photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

According to Geni, I have 979 people on my tree as family members (ie in my Geni 'Family Group'), but 1796 as 'blood relatives'. Interesting to see that our tree has stretched out so far...

16/16 gg-grandparents
    22/32 ggg-grandparents
    5 gggg grandparents

I can go back to a ggggggg grandfather who was part of the Guinness family, but getting there was a group effort from a number of family members. I am very aware that some far distant relatives' trees may not be accurate, seeing as we have so many people connected on the tree, but I know the details I entered and that's what matters to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

You have all put me to shame! I need to keep going it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

I dont think it would be possible to count. I know one branch has 300 or so blood ancesters / relations. So, going by this

I imagine well over 5,000 blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sandy25

Hi, can anyone tell me where the best place is to get my family tree done, I dont know anything past my grandparents :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

sandy25 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me where the best place is to get my family tree done, I dont know anything past my grandparents :(

There are companies and individual genealogists out there who will do research for you but if you're interested, why not have a go yourself. I've never used the services of a genealogist (and to be honest, I wouldn't) so not qualified to recommend anyone. Looking at Eneclann's website they are quoting €360 + VAT for 10 hours' work. This seems like a lot of money to me but I have no idea how they compare pricewise to others offering the same services. Some might disagree with my next statement but I've met several so I'm going to stand over this... there are some people out there offering family history services who are complete chancers. So if you are going down the route of hiring someone, I would ask around and get recommendations (plural). There is a very detailed sticky at the top of this forum that contains all the info you need to get you started so I'm not going to repeat. More and more records are becoming available online for free or for a small charge; talking to family members is also free! You would probably have to gather some of this info anyway to get a professional started. You will also find several online fora where people are also happy to offer help - for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Here's the numbers for my son -

Generation 1 has 1 of 1 individual (100.00% complete)
    p Generation 2 has 2 of 2 individuals (100.00% complete)
    gp Generation 3 has 4 of 4 individuals (100.00% complete)
    ggp Generation 4 has 8 of 8 individuals (100.00% complete)
    gggp Generation 5 has 12 of 16 individuals (75.00% complete)
    ggggp Generation 6 has 18 of 32 individuals (56.25% complete)
    gggggp Generation 7 has 14 of 64 individuals (21.88% complete)
    ggggggp Generation 8 has 1 of 128 individuals (0.78% complete)

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I have been working on my tree properly for over 10 years (but really since I could start asking questions about my family). Luckily my family are English and Jewish, so I have had greater access to records than those from Ireland so I have 2,208 people on my tree and it was only the mass change in religion that stopped my tree in the 1590s (All cross referenced and verified)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sandy25

Thanks for the great advice Ceannrua :), I'm goin to take it onboard and started myself to see how far I can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

CeannRua wrote: »
    There are companies and individual genealogists out there who will do research for you but if you're interested, why not have a go yourself. I've never used the services of a genealogist (and to be honest, I wouldn't) so not qualified to recommend anyone. Looking at Eneclann's website they are quoting €360 + VAT for 10 hours' work. This seems like a lot of money to me but I have no idea how they compare pricewise to others offering the same services. Some might disagree with my next statement but I've met several so I'm going to stand over this... there are some people out there offering family history services who are complete chancers. So if you are going down the route of hiring someone, I would ask around and get recommendations (plural). There is a very detailed sticky at the top of this forum that contains all the info you need to get you started so I'm not going to repeat. More and more records are becoming available online for free or for a small charge; talking to family members is also free! You would probably have to gather some of this info anyway to get a professional started. You will also find several online fora where people are also happy to offer help - for free.
    for any looking for North Kerry ancestors there is an online group that will search for you free of charge. They are North Kerry Reaching Out and can be contacted at nkreachingout@gmail.com

Advertisement