Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to introduce finger foods.

Options
  • 20-10-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 5 and a half months and has been on solids for over a month and is wolfing everything down. Just wondering when it would be ok to start introducing a bit of finger food. She has no problem grasping things and holding on to them. I usually have to give her a baby feeding spoon to hold while I'm feeding her as she tries to take the one I have out of my hand. She can support her head while I'm holding her but she can't sit up by herself unsupported. Should I wait until she can do this? Also, what foods can be given as first finger foods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes it's recommended to wait until 6 months or when they can sit up unaided if before 6 months. The reason being (if I recall correctly) is their tongue thrust (where they stick their tongue out constantly) is gone by 6 months.

To start off, steamed carrot batons, steed broccoli florets, fingers of soft pear, slices of toasted red pepper without skin are all good. Don't expect success first time. At the beginning a lot of it ends up on the floor but it's about the baby experimenting rather than actually eating. Also expect a lot of gagging and regurgitation/vomiting back up both of which are normal and good signs. Don't panic, count to ten before you react and the food will almost certainly come back out.

Also expect a lot of mess. They progress very quickly so in a few weeks they'll be eating more and letting less drop on the floor. My son squeals with delight when he's feeding himself and it's worth the mess to see him enjoying feeding himself.

Gill Rapley wrote a book called baby led weaning so buy it or borrow from your local library as its very informative.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Yes it's recommended to wait until 6 months or when they can sit up unaided if before 6 months. The reason being (if I recall correctly) is their tongue thrust (where they stick their tongue out constantly) is gone by 6 months.

To start off, steamed carrot batons, steed broccoli florets, fingers of soft pear, slices of toasted red pepper without skin are all good. Don't expect success first time. At the beginning a lot of it ends up on the floor but it's about the baby experimenting rather than actually eating. Also expect a lot of gagging and regurgitation/vomiting back up both of which are normal and good signs. Don't panic, count to ten before you react and the food will almost certainly come back out.

Also expect a lot of mess. They progress very quickly so in a few weeks they'll be eating more and letting less drop on the floor. My son squeals with delight when he's feeding himself and it's worth the mess to see him enjoying feeding himself.

Gill Rapley wrote a book called baby led weaning so buy it or borrow from your local library as its very informative.

Good luck!

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

my lad was about 6 months its amazing how much they come on in a couple of weeks

i think toast is a great finger food to start with maybe a piece after there breakfast in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi, i no what your going through,its a confusing and at times worrying time as you go through the finger food stage..my son loves toast also with a nice bit of butter, he loves bits of cheese strips or cut in small cubes...he also loves beans. he loves pasta shapes, i cut them in half though as some can be too big. every child is different, my son hates potates and cant get him to eat it no matter what i try.. enjoy the process its fun at times...:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Ive been trying to introduce a finger food after her main feed just to start off. Shes 6 and a half months and on purees about 5 weeks now. I gave her toast the other evening. She stuffed the whole finger into her mouth. I panicked and scooped it out as afraid she would choke. Ive read the baby led weaning book but im still nervous. Just wondering should I relax and try the toast again? She hated the egg pieces and broccoli Ive tried with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Isn't it terrifying! I did exactly the same thing first time. I really thought I couldn't do it but I stuck with it. The best advice I got here was to sit on your hands for 10 seconds.

Advertisement