Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAR Battery dead-

Options
  • 20-10-2011 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello,
    Least enthusiastic car person ever here but regardless:
    My car battery is gone and after 4 weeks of denying it I now need to get it fixed! the car is parked at my address though and insurance won't pay for removal to a garage. Or roadside assistance.

I need it towed which could cost between 60-120 euro! EEEK

Can anyone advise me what to do without paying that ridiculous amount!

Cheers.

Comments

Buy battery in motor factors and fit it yourself. If that's not an option a local garage should be willing to call out to you and fit a battery they supply :)

No need at all to get it towed I would think and hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Buy a battery and put it in yourself, it's simple not much harder than changing a light bulb. Ask any man they should help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Surely you could get a lift to a motor factors and buy one?

It's very easy change a battery :)

Edit: We're all on the same wavelength lads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Eh, hows about someone gives you a lift to a Motor Factors and buy yourself a battery (for €60-€120) and give you a lift back home again ?

Take out old battery, plonk in new Battery - turn key in Ingition and..... :D

Hows that for a plan ?

...........Ask any man they should help you.

I'm surrounded by engineers at work, most of them wouldn't have a clue how to change a car battery, modern cars are too complicated you see :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Cheapest place I found a battery was for €55 in Tallaght Auto Parts. I got a Bosch one

Its very easy change a battery OP.

Get a 10mm spanner,crack open the nuts and lift the little terminals off. Then remove the strap or battery clamp (usaually 2 10mm nuts) Replace your battery and then reverse the process above.

Heres a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCQCRd8Pe8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm surrounded by engineers at work, most of them wouldn't have a clue how to change a car battery, modern cars are too complicated you see :pac:

As Morphius once said: "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path" I know quite a few intelligent lads who can bearly tie their shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In fairness, i've changed lots of batteries and it's still not a job I enjoy. No matter how many times I check the polarity, I still get that moment of dread when I connect. I wouldn't be pushing anyone else into doing it if they're not comfortable with it, i'm with RJ on paying someone a few quid extra to come out with a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you ask your local motor factors nicely, they may even bring the battery out to you and take the old one away.

When mine needed replacing they brought one out to me and were delighted to take the old one away. They can sell them on to someone so it saved me having to take it to a dump and they get a few quid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what's wrong with jump starting it and driving it there yourself to get the battery swapped out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Or, how about another crazy idea, surely you know someone else with a car and some jump leads?

Then you can start your car and drive it somwhere to have a battery fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Another plan, don't what people think, but buy a battery charger from Halfords/motor factors etc and follow instructions ?

Apart from the battery, the battery charging/alternator needs to be checked by an auto electrician, and finally as I speak from experience, check there isn't a drain on the battery when the car is stopped. My boot wasn't properly closed enough to keep a pesky boot light on, discovered this after a few mystery battery drains!!

Info overload!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dowtcha wrote: »
    Another plan, don't what people think, but buy a battery charger from Halfords/motor factors etc and follow instructions ?
    If the battery's gone then he'll still need to buy a new one. But yeah, a battery charger is always a good thing to own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dowtcha wrote: »

Apart from the battery, the battery charging/alternator needs to be checked by an auto electrician, and finally as I speak from experience, check there isn't a drain on the battery when the car is stopped. My boot wasn't properly closed enough to keep a pesky boot light on, discovered this after a few mysterieous battery drains!!

Info overload!!

The battery charging/drain can be checked by anyone who knows how to use even the most basic of multimeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring the old battery with you to shop, that way they'll know exactly what to get you (they will anyway) but they will also take the old battery back to recycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

with a name like hotass im sure you will get plenty of guys to change your battery :D

Advertisement