Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaddafi dead.

• 20-10-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Reports coming in from Reuters that Gaddafi has been killed as he was being captured. Reportedly that he died from his wounds during the assault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I supppose they'll bury him at sea as well just so we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

He's not dead

"Im getting better"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's AH, not politics. Different forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I supppose they'll bury him at sea as well just so we'll never know.

CT Board is that way >>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lets wait and see. I trust Martin Ferris and Tony Blair will send wreaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's AH, not politics. Different forum.
    same things are been discussed duplicated information in two forums just different titles but anyway just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

mike65 wrote: »
    Lets wait and see. I trust Martin Ferris and Tony Blair will send wreaths.

Tony Blair will send BP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Don't believe until confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »

great time to be running out of battery

blah1v.jpg

Well as that's a still from some video footage we should get a good idea soon enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did McGuiness also meet him while he was on the run?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Sully wrote: »

A scurrilous accusation from an illegal alien to earth!

They dropped into the German embassy together to express their condolences at Hitler's death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Who is to know..

A lot of people will be happy tonight that he is now dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who is to know..

and a lot of people will be sad.

at least one more oil country is under control, next is iran ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

davoxx wrote: »

Twenty years ago I would have dismissed that sentiment but now I'm becoming more and more convinced every day.

Let us never forget the days the Americans moved in over here, taking advantage of our corporation tax, exploiting our workers, creating their own little silicon isle for their own evil motives.

And now the same will happen to Libya, the world getting contracts, paying for their oil, like before.. but just.. in a more evil way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Let us never forget the days the Americans moved in over here, taking advantage of our corporation tax, exploiting our workers, creating their own little silicon isle for their own evil motives.

And now the same will happen to Libya, the world getting contracts, paying for their oil, like before.. but just.. in a more evil way!

I sense sarcasm. Educate yourself on the role of the US in the middle east before turning to the lowest form of wit.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Twenty years ago I would have dismissed that sentiment but now I'm becoming more and more convinced every day.
    welcome to the matrix, where everything that you were told in school and on tv was designed to keep you in check and not ask questions ...

• Advertisement

Oh dear. The Boards.ie Trots are gathering again.

+1

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/google-paid-only-euro56m-tax-despite-euro10bn-turnover-2900130.html
    +1

Nah, now with Libya "free" to sell their oil to the "world", they'll soon be just like America, just like Iraq is now. God bless America!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah particularly those who he subjugated for the last nearly 40 odd years.
    Fook sake why do some people think that anyone that stands against America is somehow misrepresented and the fooking good guy.

Ah but aren't the Iranians yet another poor misunderstood and misreported bunch. :rolleyes:
    welcome to the matrix, where everything that you were told in school and on tv was designed to keep you in check and not ask questions ...

Has this place turned into the Conspiracy forum or the Sci fi forum ?:rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If I could fill this with a million rolleyes I could. So tell us, under control of who exactly, the CIA?, the Rand Corporation?, the Reverse-Vampires?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Nah, now with Libya "free" to sell their oil to the "world", they'll soon be just like America, just like Iraq is now. God bless America!

They were selling their oil to the world market already ffs, they won't get any more or less money now that the country isn't ruled by a tyrant.

Seriously at least try and have some basic knowledge before you make a post.

Ahh the good old compare Iraq to everything.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah particularly those who he subjugated for the last nearly 40 odd years.
    Fook sake why do some people think that anyone that stands against America is somehow misrepresented and the fooking good guy.
    yeah, i remember how america always hated him and never ever ... oh yeah he was friends with them till he started trying to help africa out of debt ...

but i guess you are the kinda guy that likes people dead rather on trial for supposed crimes ...

america did not like Mohammed Mossadegh, must be because he was sacrificing newborns to satan while urinating on freedom ... yeah that's it ...
    Ah but aren't the Iranians yet another poor misunderstood and misreported bunch.
    yeah why would they want nukes? i mean what country wants nukes? unless there was another terrorist country in the area with nukes ...
    Has this place turned into the Conspiracy forum or the Sci fi forum ?
    it takes just two people to form a conspiracy ...

+1 good reply there batman!!

i would have compared it to ireland like you did, but we have no oil :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

[HTML][/HTML]
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who is to know..

among them the following

tony blair = did shady deals with gadafi in exchange for an end to its nuclear programme

jacques chirac = ditto

CIA

MI6

sinn fein

gadaffi had the goods on quite a few

• Advertisement

If I could fill this with a million rolleyes I could. So tell us, under control of who exactly, the CIA?, the Rand Corporation?, the Reverse-Vampires?
    :rolleyes: x 1 million ... simples.

what are reverse-vampires? are you one?

They were selling their oil to the world market already ffs, they won't get any more or less money now that the country isn't ruled by a tyrant.

Seriously at least try and have some basic knowledge before you make a post.

very good, ffs, they were selling their oil, ffs, then nato invaded them, ffs, now they have a puppet government that was not elected, ffs, who will decide who gets the oil contracts, ffs, and the people in the country will not get their share of wealth, ffs, just like iraq, ffs.

seriously, try reading up on a topic before you make a post, ffs, it makes you look really silly, ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

It's great news. I had Sky News on earlier today when the news broke.

There are rumours that he was killed in a NATO airstrike. How great it would be if it turns out it was our fantastic RAF lads who did the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

irishh_bob wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

among them the following

tony blair = did shady deals with gadafi in exchange for an end to its nuclear programme

jacques chirac = ditto

CIA

MI6

sinn fein

gadaffi had the goods on quite a few

also: http://www.businesslimerick.ie/libya-is-open-for-business/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I guess today is a sad day for the Shinners, no doubt we will never get to hear about the letter of condolence from Sinn Fein to Gadaffi's son 'Saif al-Islam', But considering the strong links between Sinn Fein & Gadaffi (cheap semtex, Mortars & AK47s) there must be some serious grieving today at Sinn Fein HQ, and indeed at Martins house ;)

Batsy wrote: »
    It's great news. I had Sky News earlier today when the news broke.
    There are rumours that he was killed in a NATO airstrike. How great it would be if it turns out it was our fantastic RAF lads who did the job.
    wasn't nato's role not http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/71679.htm
    seems like this is regime change ...

still thankfully those raf lads were not on the ground where they might have gotten killed (by their own forces as well) ... better to fight from planes ...

wasn't nato's role not http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/71679.htm
    seems like this is regime change ...

It was the Libyan people who decided on a regime change when they decided to rise up against him. Once Gaddafi went into hiding as a result of the Libyan people's uprising that's when they got the interim government.
    still thankfully those raf lads were not on the ground where they might have gotten killed (by their own forces as well) ... better to fight from planes ...

Airforce personnel usually do fight from planes.

• Advertisement

very good, ffs, they were selling their oil, ffs, then nato invaded them, ffs, now they have a puppet government that was not elected, ffs, who will decide who gets the oil contracts, ffs, and the people in the country will not get their share of wealth, ffs, just like iraq, ffs.

seriously, try reading up on a topic before you make a post, ffs, it makes you look really silly, ffs.

NATO did not "invade" they were merely on vacation (and maybe, just maybe asked by the rebels and supported by UN resolution, Arab league and the international community)

They don't have a government, so how can it be a puppet one?

Well the Chinese got Iraqi oil contracts, looks like that was up to the Iraqis then doesn't it?

How do people not get a share of the wealth? Gaddafi was stripmining the country before, it cannot possibly be any worse?
    just like iraq

Told you..

It was the Libyan people who decided on a regime change when they decided to rise up against him. Once Gaddafi went into hiding as a result of the Libyan people's uprising that's when they got the interim government.
    really, then why was nato involved? why would nato not accept gaddafi's call for elections?
    the 'interim government' was in place before he went into hiding. and this was after nato's declaration of intent of assassination of gaddafi.

i'm surprised nato is not helping the regime change in greece?

Airforce personnel usually do fight from planes.
    well i would not term bombing civilians as fighting .. but sure whatever makes them and you feel macho?

<stuff>
    wait a sec, did you just compare this to iraq after complaining that i did?

yup you sure did, for shame jonny7, for shame, hypocrisy does not a good argument make ....

NATO did not "invade" they were merely on vacation (and maybe, just maybe asked by the rebels and supported by UN resolution, Arab league and the international community)

did nato have their visa stamped while in libya on holidays? were they in their illegally? is this what this whole war is about?

thankfully we have you straighten things out with your wit ... :pac:

really, then why was nato involved? why would nato not accept gaddafi's call for elections?
    the 'interim government' was in place before he went into hiding. and this was after nato's declaration of intent of assassination of gaddafi.

The Libyan people, not surprisingly, had had enough of the brutal, murderous dictator that they had suffered under for decades and, unsurprisingly, decided to get rid of him.

But they needed help to do that and NATO, including Britain, was right to step in and help their fight for freedom and democracy.

Seeing the celebrations in the streets throughout Libya on the news I am proud that my country has played such a vital role in bringing such happiness to that nation. It's a pity Ireland couldn't do more.

well i would not term bombing civilians as fighting .. but sure whatever makes them and you feel macho?

NATO hasn't been targetting civilians. It has been targetting Daffy's evil, murderous regime.

And it's strange you attacking NATO for its supposed killing of civilians yet you seem to support a murderous dictator who has killed many more Libyan civilians than NATO has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

More quality and less complete drivel would be nice. davoxx, I'm talking about you in particular.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It would have been better if he was brought to trial to answer for his crimes. Having said that I am not too sure of the circumstances around his killing, and it will probably take a couple of days for an accurate story to emerge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

The Italians, especially Berlusconi won't be happy. They had a lot of links with Libya. Slivio was good friends with Gaddafi, it was from the latter where the term "Bunga Bunga" came from. Gaddafi bribed two Italians Clubs so that his son could be a professional footballer with them

did nato have their visa stamped while in libya on holidays? were they in their illegally? is this what this whole war is about?

thankfully we have you straighten things out with your wit ... :pac:

Its a quote from family guy..

You didn't address any of my basic points.

NATO are not autonomous, they were mandated by the UN

Libya has no government, how can it have a puppet government?

How are the Libyan people going to be worse off than under a dictator/police state?

So it begins..
    (please try to avoid RT and PressTV videos, the "information" from informationclearinghouse, and so on and so forth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There was some footage on Al-Jazeera posted on YouTube but the camera was very shaky and it was very difficult to tell if it was him or not.

There seem to be conflicting reports about him being dead as well with other reports saying he was just wounded.

And it's strange you attacking NATO for its supposed killing of civilians yet you seem to support a murderous dictator who has killed many more Libyan civilians than NATO has.
    have you anything to back this up?

have you anything to back this up?

Here you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

LordSutch wrote: »
    I guess today is a sad day for the Shinners, no doubt we will never get to hear about the letter of condolence from Sinn Fein to Gadaffi's son 'Saif al-Islam', But considering the strong links between Sinn Fein & Gadaffi (cheap semtex, Mortars & AK47s) there must be some serious grieving today at Sinn Fein HQ, and indeed at Martins house ;)
    You're confused as usual.

You're confusing Sinn Fein with the IRA, the IRA didn't support Gaddafi they took advantage of his feud with the British to obtain weapons to fight a war.

Of course if you're one of the few people who label the party Sinn Féin/IRA you could also use Fianna Fáil/IRA, Fine Gael/IRA and Labour/IRA as every major Irish political party sprung from the IRA and the various wars.

Anyway looking at the pictures of his body being dragged through the streets, it doesn't seem right for a council seeking to be a legitimate government to capture then execute a former leader then treat his body in this manner. Surely they rose up against Gaddafi because they wanted to be different but instead they have shown that they're exactly the same as him. Yet so far no international country has condemned the treatment of his body and execution without trial.

Dotsey wrote: »

Anyway looking at the pictures of his body being dragged through the streets, it doesn't seem right for a council seeking to be a legitimate government to capture then execute a former leader then treat his body in this manner. Surely they rose up against Gaddafi because they wanted to be different but instead they have shown that they're exactly the same as him. Yet so far no international country has condemned the treatment of his body and execution without trial.

There's probably a good chance he was killed by an over zealous soldier rather than being executed due to an official order from the government.

Its a quote from family guy..
    ahh that made it relevant so ...

i'm sure you made other points .. as i have i, but i can't tell if you were being facetious or not ...

[MOD]Further "meh, meh, look at me I'm so off-hand and clever" posts will result in a ban.[/MOD]
    NATO are not autonomous, they were mandated by the UN
    really .. which mandate and what did it say?

and why did the un not get involved?

• Advertisement
Advertisement