Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maternity post questions

• 20-10-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been employed to cover a teacher who is away on maternity leave (for the year apparently) and have a few questions.

1) What should I be getting as a wage? I am currently receiving the casual rate. Am I on the correct wage structure?

2) Am I contractually expected to attend all meetings, parent meetings etc?

3) Do I have to give 1 months notice should I secure another job as I don't actually have a contract from the school?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well first off what kind of contract do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Well first off what kind of contract do you have?

According to my payslip from the Department I am down as substitute. I haven't been given a contract, just a letter stating that I'm replacing the teacher for the duration of her maternity leave.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

That seems unusual, I thought you were entitled to a contract for maternity leave? As regards number 2 without a contract probably not obliged to but if you dont turn up you havent a hope in hell of ever keeping a job in the school or getting a good reference unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Maternity leave cover is classified as non-casual, which means that you should be paid an hourly rate (including holiday pay) according to your point on the salary scale. Are you covering all of the teacher's hours?

You would be expected to cover the duties of the teacher that is absent, which definitely includes parent-teacher meetings and staff meetings.

You should have a contract, especially seeing as you have started before Oct 31st.

Maternity leave cover is classified as non-casual, which means that you should be paid an hourly rate (including holiday pay) according to your point on the salary scale. Are you covering all of the teacher's hours?

You would be expected to cover the duties of the teacher that is absent, which definitely includes parent-teacher meetings and staff meetings.

You should have a contract, especially seeing as you have started before Oct 31st.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I am on a 22 hour week schedule and am being paid unqualified rate until I pass the History of Irish Education exam next month. I have plenty of good refs from previous jobs so that is not a huge thing for me. It seems unlikely I will get more work at the school (no retirements etc coming) so that is not an issue either.

Legally should I have received a contract or is this not necessary?

Again thanks for any replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mazda2

Are you covering all of the teacher's hours?

Sorry to barge in on your query. But i have a similar one. Does it make a difference if you are not overing all the teachers hours? I have been offered 8 hours for someone going on mat leave next week. Will i be paid an hourly rate (at my point on the scale) or will i be paid substitution rate?

Was a contract even mentioned to you? In my school it can take weeks of someone being in a position before they are given a contract.

mazda2 wrote: »
    Are you covering all of the teacher's hours?

Sorry to barge in on your query. But i have a similar one. Does it make a difference if you are not overing all the teachers hours? I have been offered 8 hours for someone going on mat leave next week. Will i be paid an hourly rate (at my point on the scale) or will i be paid substitution rate?

Was a contract even mentioned to you? In my school it can take weeks of someone being in a position before they are given a contract.

A contract was mentioned but that is as far as it has gone. I am doing all of her hours but I have a feeling that the department I am with have dumped all of their problem classes on me. I am sure that the person whom I'm replacing would not have had all the poor classes I have if she was not away this year. I am also reliably informed by other members of staff that this is the modus operandi of this particular department.

I am just trying to keep my options open as I believe that jobs will become available around February due to retirements and I don't have a particular affinity with the school that I'm in at present.

Advertisement