Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Wireless Issues

• 20-10-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

A few weeks ago, my Eircom broadband wireless signal crashed after working fine for a few years.

I called Eircom support & we discussed my problem. I have always found Eircom support excellent. This experience was no different. I was given a few “probable causes” such as baby monitors, sky tv box interference etc & I happily tried to resolve the problem by changing channels, replacing hardware etc. etc.

(I have a 3mb package which is the best that Eircom can offer until our local exchange is upgraded but it's been fine until recently.)

To make a long story short, over the coming weeks, I contacted Eircom Customer Support on numerous occasions & I was given many possible causes for the loss of my broadband wireless signal.

By the way, the signal was fine when I connected through an Ethernet cable.

These solutions included filtering my 2 Sky boxes (€24 for two filters which didn’t solve the problem) and replacing my Netopia G type router with an N type router. I bought a Belkin N300 router for €79.99 in PC World which restored the wireless signal but not to the level that it was at previously.

At no stage did Eircom Support offer to send someone to my house to check the hardware (Netopia router) which appears to have been a large part of the problem.

The constant quoting of the Eircom party line that “We cannot guarantee the quality of your wireless signal because of outside agencies possibly interfering with the signal” became very annoying.

For my part, I am now €103.99 out of pocket & my wireless broadband is of a much lower quality. I've also become aware of quite a few other people who are experiencing problems with Eircom wireless broadband.

Anyone else experiencing similar wireless problems and more importantly, any suggestions how I can speed up my wireless connection???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eircom are right, wireless is not their concern and not part of the contract to deliver broadband to your home. It's dependant on many factors and lots of devices you own can interfere, video senders, baby monitors, wireless cameras.

Try changing wireless channel. You can install this utility on a laptop and scan for other wireless devices in use the area (may not detect video senders or baby monitors)
    http://www.metageek.net/get_inssider_today/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The modem was offered as part of the service, it has to be of merchantable quality.

The modem was offered as part of the service, it has to be of merchantable quality.

It's the Netopia, it's not a bad router, made by Motorolla. I use one here as a wireless access point, it gives pretty decent coverage, no issues. He already said everything was fine when he connected through an Ethernet cable so it's most likely wireless interference.

I don't really see what your post was addressing. If a router is provided by eircom that has a broken wifi antenna cable for example, then that is not up to scratch and it's up to eircom to replace it if it broke within a year or two. It's relatively easy to test a wireless router to see if interference is an issue. if it's checked in a completely different location with fewer wifi networks and video senders around then the performance can be compared to see if the problem lies with interference or something else (probably the router).

My point was that most threads on here complaining about the Netopia are bad line problems or gamers complaining about firewall problems, other than that it's a pretty decent router, much better than the other Zyxcel they provide. If it's broken Eircom will charge for a replacement (or sometimes insist on a new/higher contract). If the wireless does not work well in his house but the router is functioning properly over ethernet, then it's his own problem, it's not up to Eircom to send an engineer to his house to diagnose wireless problems (they wouldn't know how anyway).

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    My point was that most threads on here complaining about the Netopia are bad line problems or gamers complaining about firewall problems, other than that it's a pretty decent router, much better than the other Zyxcel they provide. If it's broken Eircom will charge for a replacement (or sometimes insist on a new/higher contract). If the wireless does not work well in his house but the router is functioning properly over ethernet, then it's his own problem, it's not up to Eircom to send an engineer to his house to diagnose wireless problems (they wouldn't know how anyway).
    It sounds like the OP was given poor customer service (e.g. overpriced filters for sky boxes?) and even if eircom couldn't do anything about an exclusively wireless issue, that should have been made clear at the very outset. But it's not true to say "If the wireless does not work well in his house but the router is functioning properly over ethernet, then it's his own problem". I had a wireless problem with my eircom connection last year and I was able to get a replacement modem sent out. The connection worked fine over ethernet but the Zyxel modem has some sort of problem with the WPA reauthentication timer. It was never fixed by the new modem, and we changed providers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

eircom engineer visited my house yesterday and diagnosed a fault with my router, said that eircom would send me a replacement.

eircom rang today and said that they'll charge me €50, or send it for free if I agree not to leave for a year. :confused:

Technique wrote: »
    eircom engineer visited my house yesterday and diagnosed a fault with my router, said that eircom would send me a replacement.

eircom rang today and said that they'll charge me €50, or send it for free if I agree not to leave for a year. :confused:

That's the norm these days, once upon a time they'd just ship you a new one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why would any business supply you with a new router when you have the option to give them a month's notice and head off?

A few weeks ago, my Eircom broadband wireless signal crashed after working fine for a few years.

For my part, I am now €103.99 out of pocket & my wireless broadband is of a much lower quality. I've also become aware of quite a few other people who are experiencing problems with Eircom wireless broadband.

Anyone else experiencing similar wireless problems and more importantly, any suggestions how I can speed up my wireless connection???

There is no such thing as Eircom Wireless bb. As pointed out above Eircom supply you with bb with which appears to be working fine. It is your decision as to whether or not you use a wireless network. Its the same situation with all the dsl isps.

There are any number of reasons why users have problems with wireless and one basic one is the ever increasing number of wireless networks in existence.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as Eircom Wireless bb. As pointed out above Eircom supply you with bb with which appears to be working fine. It is your decision as to whether or not you use a wireless network. Its the same situation with all the dsl isps.

There are any number of reasons why users have problems with wireless and one basic one is the ever increasing number of wireless networks in existence.
    If they offer you a wireless DSL router as part of the service to begin with, then the router's wifi service must be of merchantable quality as much as the DSL connection must be. If customers sign up to something which explicitly offers a wireless modem then it has to be treated as part of the product that eircom offer...

Why would any business supply you with a new router when you have the option to give them a month's notice and head off?

I disagree.

The router which they supplied has failed, as confirmed by their engineer, after approximately one year. It's called good customer service, looking after those who give you their hard earned money in a market where they have other alternatives.

If anything, it has made me more determined to change provider.

If they offer you a wireless DSL router as part of the service to begin with, then the router's wifi service must be of merchantable quality as much as the DSL connection must be. If customers sign up to something which explicitly offers a wireless modem then it has to be treated as part of the product that eircom offer...

What exactly are you basing your assertions on?

I disagree.

Well you would of course - we all want something for nothing.
    The router which they supplied has failed, as confirmed by their engineer, after approximately one year. It's called good customer service, looking after those who give you their hard earned money in a market where they have other alternatives.

If anything, it has made me more determined to change provider.

And after a year you are out of contract so why would any business dole out free equipment to someone who can be gone within a month?

What exactly are you basing your assertions on?
    Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 as amended by consumer protection act 2007 and also communties directive 1999/44/EC.

I want to point out that in the OP's case I don't think eircom are obliged to do anything. In the case of a fault with the wifi aspect of a router less than two years after the service commenced, then the router has to be regarded as faulty and the supplier must offer an equivalent replacement, a repair or an equivalent monetary reimbursement. Credit note, cash refund etc.

I know that if you get a promotional product free with a purchase, it is also affected by consumer legislation. If the promotional product is returned, the other product must also be returned and vice versa pretty much. That doesn't usually apply when the product is being swapped for an identical product. The point is that the freebie is recognised as an implicit part of the transaction between company and consumer.

Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 as amended by consumer protection act 2007 and also communties directive 1999/44/EC.

Which parts?

I didn't base the answer on any part in particular, only EU and Irish consumer information guides and what I've seen in my retail experiences.

I didn't base the answer on any part in particular, only EU and Irish consumer information guides and what I've seen in my retail experiences.

But you just cannot make broad assertions like that without backing them up?

What "broad" assertion exactly? The law is clear on when a supplied service becomes faulty or inadequate. My contention is that a device supplied directly on the basis of and for the use of a provided service must also operate correctly for at least two years. I see no reason to think that a product must be repaired/replaced for one type of fault but not for another. It seems eircom agree with this idea as I was able to have a modem replaced solely for malfunctioning wifi.

It's more than just a modem, it's a modem and wifi/ethernet router. Eircom don't just supply a DSL signal, they supply and *promote* the supply of a DSL modem/router with their product. If they do not honour their offer by providing potentially faulty equipment and refusing to replace it then it would constitute a false claim IMO for their service which is in contravention of the NCA 2007. I'm not sure of what section, the act is freely available to be read by anyone who wants the specifics.

Well you would of course - we all want something for nothing.

For nothing??? I'm paying them €40pm for this:

1550094803.png

And after a year you are out of contract so why would any business dole out free equipment to someone who can be gone within a month?

Equipment which is required for them to provide the service which are paid handsomely for?

• Advertisement

For nothing??? I'm paying them €40pm for this:

1550094803.png

Equipment which is required for them to provide the service which are paid handsomely for?

You are paying for broadband and the router in eircom's case and some other dsl suppliers comes free. Eircom in your case have offered you a router if you commit for a year as I have pointed out to you twice now no business can afford to be giving out free equipment if the customer can be gone in a month.

As far as I can see utility companies generally are not expected to provide equipment in addition to the service provided. Nobody expects the esb to provide light bulbs for example and in the case of 3G bb it is a given that the dongles are purchased by the customer.

What "broad" assertion exactly? The law is clear on when a supplied service becomes faulty or inadequate. My contention is that a device supplied directly on the basis of and for the use of a provided service must also operate correctly for at least two years. I see no reason to think that a product must be repaired/replaced for one type of fault but not for another. It seems eircom agree with this idea as I was able to have a modem replaced solely for malfunctioning wifi.

It's more than just a modem, it's a modem and wifi/ethernet router. Eircom don't just supply a DSL signal, they supply and *promote* the supply of a DSL modem/router with their product. If they do not honour their offer by providing potentially faulty equipment and refusing to replace it then it would constitute a false claim IMO for their service which is in contravention of the NCA 2007. I'm not sure of what section, the act is freely available to be read by anyone who wants the specifics.

You are making broad assertions in the absence of 'chapter and verse' if the law is clear then tell us what it says?

Where was it established that the router was faulty? Wireless noise/interference is not a fault, which is most likely what the issue is here. Netopia's don't suffer from this wpa re-authentication issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dumbbell

amnyone any solutions instead of quoting the law...

dumbbell wrote: »
    amnyone any solutions instead of quoting the law...

Yes, change wireless channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I remember when I was with eircom my netopia died, I didn't even bother contacting eircom over it, I just went out and bought a Buffalo DSL router in argos.. problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

You are paying for broadband and the router in eircom's case and some other dsl suppliers comes free. Eircom in your case have offered you a router if you commit for a year as I have pointed out to you twice now no business can afford to be giving out free equipment if the customer can be gone in a month.

As far as I can see utility companies generally are not expected to provide equipment in addition to the service provided. Nobody expects the esb to provide light bulbs for example and in the case of 3G bb it is a given that the dongles are purchased by the customer.

Im fed up...

It used to be perfect but in the last 3 months its gone ridiculous after a call last night to Eircom ooooo it might be your Laptop thats causing the issue as Im pinging it from here and it is perfect...Its a bran new laptop why would it be? Also when it is plugged in DIRECTLY VIA ETHERNET I thought its supposed to be CONSTANT SPEED UNCONGESTED!!! Im posting this now at 1.30AM!!! ITS LESS THEN 1MB!!!!!!!!!!! IM SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING 8MB FAIR ENOUGH THEY REDUCED IT TO 7MB To stop drop outs but 1mb at 1.30AM...

I will be cutting it off completely as why pay for 8mb when in fact its useless...

I go to my cousins house and I see 30mb UPC Im like its 2011 and Im lucky to get 2mb EIRCOM Its a joke!!!

Im fed up...

It used to be perfect but in the last 3 months its gone ridiculous after a call last night to Eircom ooooo it might be your Laptop thats causing the issue as Im pinging it from here and it is perfect...Its a bran new laptop why would it be? Also when it is plugged in DIRECTLY VIA ETHERNET I thought its supposed to be CONSTANT SPEED UNCONGESTED!!! Im posting this now at 1.30AM!!! ITS LESS THEN 1MB!!!!!!!!!!! IM SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING 8MB FAIR ENOUGH THEY REDUCED IT TO 7MB To stop drop outs but 1mb at 1.30AM...

I will be cutting it off completely as why pay for 8mb when in fact its useless...

I go to my cousins house and I see 30mb UPC Im like its 2011 and Im lucky to get 2mb EIRCOM Its a joke!!!

To get help you need to be systematic - first thing to check is your line stats.

And then the usual stuff I presume your connection is filtred and that any other items connected to the phone line are also filtered?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

This is a screen shot using THE LAN AND USING SPEEDTEST.NET

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1553646813.png

• Advertisement

This is a screen shot using THE LAN AND USING SPEEDTEST.NET

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1553646813.png

Disconnect everything else with the modem in the main Eircom socket. Login to your modem (192.168.1.254 if it's silver Netopia) and post your line stats.

Advertisement