Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power meters, Heart rate monitors etc

• 20-10-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Am I the only one who trains without any gadgets etc except for a speedo. Never seen the return on the investment particularly for Power Meters for amateur racing. Could never get into Heart rate monitors except for use on turbo (necessary evil). I just go out and blast it for a couple of hours and enjoy every minute.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

And at what level do you compete ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A speedo is excessively technological.

I use perceived effort combined with a stem mounted sundial to record my training load, and write a log on the bleached concrete of my training sanctum using my own blood as ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Can't beat a compass to tell you what way you are facing. I have a compass in my pocket right now. Well I did. I took it out. I'm facing southwest.

In my very limited experience I've only seen heart rate monitors used as an excuse not to push yourself. Bleep bleep bleep.... oh i better slow down... yous go on ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'd love a powermeter. Someone give me one please, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I know I'm awesome, I don't need to a power meter to confirm it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

not sane wrote: »
    Am I the only one who trains without any gadgets etc except for a speedo.
    In before the mankini jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lumen wrote: »
    A speedo is excessively technological.

I use perceived effort combined with a stem mounted sundial to record my training load, and write a log on the bleached concrete of my training sanctum using my own blood as ink.

i would pay to see that

but speedo made me think of this
    1097437782488_speedo_huret.jpg

god i wanted one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

i would pay to see that

but speedo made me think of this
    1097437782488_speedo_huret.jpg

god i wanted one of those

When I meant speedo I was refering to the above none of this wireless crap you see now. I'm not an A4 and am over 40 what difference does it make anyway all those new yokes are a gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I don't even use a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Am I the only one who trains without any gadgets etc except for a speedo. Never seen the return on the investment particularly for Power Meters for amateur racing. Could never get into Heart rate monitors except for use on turbo (necessary evil). I just go out and blast it for a couple of hours and enjoy every minute.

That's fine if you are not into this but manage to get proper training done (improving, not overtraining, etc). I think it's good to have a basic HR monitor to check, every now and again, if you are doing your key sessions at the right HR zone. No need to have it on all the time and become addicted to it :)
    Same with bike computers (wireless stuff is good!), that's good to know your speed and distance covered.
    Both HR monitor and bike computer guide you so you know where you are and can increase your weekly volume and intensity little by little and... improve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I like that feeling of knowing the pain in my chest is due to my high heart rate and not a heart attack, that why I have a hrm.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

In fairness I've tried the whole HRM thing. Used it once in a race and the HRM cracked me more than the race.

I like that feeling of knowing the pain in my chest is due to my high heart rate and not a heart attack, that why I have a hrm.

No, the pain in your chest is due to respiratory muscles fatigue not high heart rate... but you're getting there :)

In fairness I've tried the whole HRM thing. Used it once in a race and the HRM cracked me more than the race.

I agree, that's why I said in my previous post to not use it all the time, just key sessions. I don't use it when I race but I found useful when you do a long distance event (Wicklow 200 or other) and don't know the route to have a HRM to prevent to go above where you should be for a long race, so you stay in the "green zone" but then one could argue that if you know yourself very well on long distances you don't need a HRM. Overall, depending on how it's used, it can be a good tool but shouldn't become something you (we) are addicted to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A0 wrote: »
    No, the pain in your chest is due to respiratory muscles fatigue not high heart rate... but you're getting there :)

;)
    sarcasm.jpg

;)
    sarcasm.jpg

Oh, i knew... mine was too.

Yours in sport :-)
    The sarcastic

Advertisement