Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hibernia post primary

Options
  • 20-10-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Any one done/doing this course? how hard is it to gain entry?/pass the interview?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ldoll

The interview was easy enough, very straightforward.

As far as I know they give everyone an interview too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Not very difficult to get into by ALL accounts.

Does anyone with this postgrad actually see themselves being able to compete with undergrads or uni postgrads in a tight jobs market?

It is fully recognised by the Teaching Council and awarding body so I can't see why Hibernia graduates wouldn't be in the running just like any other NQTs.

Any reasons why you're doubtful for Hibernia grads to compete for jobs?

kob29 wrote: »
    Not very difficult to get into by ALL accounts.

Does anyone with this postgrad actually see themselves being able to compete with undergrads or uni postgrads in a tight jobs market?

What do you mean 'compete with undergrads'? The Hibernia is a post-graduate course so there's no chance that undergraduate and hence unqualified teachers would be recruited first.

There are actually undergrad degrees in education you know. Schools know what they're getting with established qualifications. With the PGDE in the universities the points system is fairly competitive and requires a decent degree grade, often a postgrad and teaching experience to make the points. I know someone who has got into the Hibernia postgrad first attempt having failed via PAC, TCD and the UK with a bargain basement degree, final year repeated and still scraped through. Same person wouldn't teach a monkey to beat eggs but walks into an online postgrad???

I guess time will tell.......

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but being given a place on the post-grad isn't the same as qualifying from it.

Personally I think everyone deserves a chance and this person you know obvious really wants to get into teaching because I'm sure it was hard taking the rejections.

I do agree that only time will tell though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catgav

All ye people giving out about the Hibernia course should really get a life!! Like why would they start the course if it wasnt recognised by the teaching council!! obviously ye dont have a clue!! once u finish an arts degree technically you are allowed to teach the only thing the hdip does is give you your teacher training!! I have worked in one particular school where there were three teachers from the hibernia college and they were as good as the others!! people like ye the give out about the course is whats wrong with Ireland today......living in the past thinking that you have to go to a NUI to have a suitable qualification!! the same crap was said when a lot of irish students went to do the primary dip in england people used to say you will never get a job if you trained in england and now nearly 1 in 5 students that want to become a primary teacher does the year traning in england!!
    And to say that they give everyone an interview.....how is that a bad thing whe you complete your application you get an interview doesnt necessarily mean that you will get a place!! the NUI'S dont offer interviews they just give it on your exam results no wonder their are so many bad teachers out there cas the colleges dont even no if they are choosing someone who wil make a good teacher, at least with Hibernia they do!!!
    one final thing are all ye people who are critisising the course have ye any interest in teaching or do ye just like to think ye are better than everyone else who are trying to better themselves by getting a great quailfiction.

catgav wrote: »
    All ye people giving out about the Hibernia course should really get a life!! Like why would they start the course if it wasnt recognised by the teaching council!! obviously ye dont have a clue!! once u finish an arts degree technically you are allowed to teach the only thing the hdip does is give you your teacher training!! I have worked in one particular school where there were three teachers from the hibernia college and they were as good as the others!! people like ye the give out about the course is whats wrong with Ireland today......living in the past thinking that you have to go to a NUI to have a suitable qualification!! the same crap was said when a lot of irish students went to do the primary dip in england people used to say you will never get a job if you trained in england and now nearly 1 in 5 students that want to become a primary teacher does the year traning in england!!
    And to say that they give everyone an interview.....how is that a bad thing whe you complete your application you get an interview doesnt necessarily mean that you will get a place!! the NUI'S dont offer interviews they just give it on your exam results no wonder their are so many bad teachers out there cas the colleges dont even no if they are choosing someone who wil make a good teacher, at least with Hibernia they do!!!
    one final thing are all ye people who are critisising the course have ye any interest in teaching or do ye just like to think ye are better than everyone else who are trying to better themselves by getting a great quailfiction.

I agree. The Hibernia has a great record with Primary teaching so I have no doubts about their quality if training :D The only slight worry I have is that principals won't regard it as the NUI's equivalent, but time should sort that out :)

I'm sure Hibernia would be delighted to know that they have someone standing up for their course who can't use a capital letter, exclamation mark, spell check...bodes well for the standard of the course and the future students. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catgav

You obvioulsy have nothing better to do with your life than to get off on putting others down..........what a nice person you seem to be. I bet if you went for an interview with hibernia you wouldn't get a place because your attitude on this stinks....HORRIBLE PERSON

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You obvioulsy have nothing better to do with your life than to get off on putting others down..........what a nice person you seem to be. I bet if you went for an interview with hibernia you wouldn't get a place because your attitude on this stinks....HORRIBLE PERSON

Believe me, you are not helping your 'cause'.

Any more insulting other members and you won't be posting here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SineadC2013

Hey Guys,

How long did you have to wait to hear back after interview?

Hi Sinead,

From what I remember it was just over a week. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SineadC2013

Thanks so much :)

Advertisement