Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax dodging landlord

Options
  • 20-10-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been renting an apartment (at a very inflated price) since June. It was agreed that the rent would be paid directly into landlords account.
    Now landlord has requested some of the rent be paid cash-in-hand, i.e 90% into bank account and 10% cash.
    I have just realised property is not registered to PRTB.

Should I use this as an excuse to reduce rent, or just find another property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I dont know your circumstances, but not being registered with prtb doesnt mean your not paying your income taxes.. The paying is cash bit does sound dodgy though...Just my 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most likely he is hiding money from a partner or somthing similar (bank).

Tell him he should register rather than accuse him of anything underhanded. Reminding him of the fact you know he should be registered makes you look better and seems more friendly.
    PRTB indicates nothing about taxes and the website is not up to date so he maybe registered. Suggesting he contact them becasue it is not on the website would be the approach I would suggest.

I would also mention not being comfortable with the suggestion of cash transaction without a rent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Don't rely on the PRTB register either, I registered a property a year and a half ago and it is still not on their register however I have received notification from the PRTB that it is registered.

Advertisement