Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a trad song promounced 'An Cooleen'

Options
  • 20-10-2011 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an Irish trad song, it's an instrumental tune. It's for an old lad in my da's hospital ward. His family say he loves it and I promised I'd try and find it to download and play it to him.

It's something like An Cooleen, but they don't know how to spell it exactly. Anybody know what song they're talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I think you mean The Coolin.

Here's the best version I could find on youtube (which worries me). It's a very popular air.

You can find the sheet music here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Great, you're a gent. I'm work on downloading it. The old man will be delighted, he suffered a stroke and can't talk much but was smiling when he heard his daughter telling me about this song and how he loves it so no doubt next week this song will be airing around the William Stokes Ward in Tallaght Hospital soon and will make an old man very happy, even just for a few minutes.

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Tonnes of people have recorded it so you shouldn't have a problem finding it. That's a really lovely thing to do for someone. :)

Tonnes of people have recorded it so you shouldn't have a problem finding it. That's a really lovely thing to do for someone. :)

Da has been in hospital for five months, you tend to become very friendly with the patients families who are in a similar boat to you. Hospitals are horrible places but you meet some of society's best in there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

As with 99% of traditional airs they are originally songs.

Heres the only version I could find with a quick search of the song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k9e47BvOuQ

and heres a nice uilleann pipe version of just the air.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqISpApqCg

Oh and heres a really handy way to rip the audio from the youtube vids
    http://fetchmp3.com/

I use it all the time.

Hope your da gets better.

• Advertisement

Great stuff, will be playing it to him the weekend when I get back to Ireland. Sounds lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fantasia1

Lovely song. Was played at my dads funeral as he played it many times during his life. (anniversary today, RIP Dad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Advertisement