Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not permitted to post in a thread

Options
  • 20-10-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

I'm no longer permitted to post in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056423017

because the moderator says I have no hope of convincing the people who disagree with me and as such is no longer a discussion and because of that it was getting a bit personal and two other posters as well as myself were directed to stop posting.

I have pm'd the mod and he directed me here to dispute it if I wished.

Now I realise that the interaction between me and two other posters had begun to get strained, it got personal with one of them (also not permitted to post). The other person who cannot post was of my viewpoint.

Basically myself and maybe two or threw other posters disagreed with the rest, a poll indicated we were in the minority by about 190 votes out of a poll of 250ish. In banning me and the other guy from the thread the mod has banned 99% of the active people posting on that viewpoint.

I had posted in that thread from early on and had a great number of civilised discussions with a lot of people. But just as the previous thread starting here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056420372&page=41

Which was locked certain posters were not so much explaining and discussing as they were creating tension and attacking. It was locked and not dealt with other than one infraction was given to the poster who in my opinion trolled the thread to turn it into what it did. And is involved in why I am no longer permitted to post in this one now.

Back to the thread at hand, some outrageous statements were made about posters regard for player safety were made, I reacted to those in a non abusive way and another poster jumped on it to throw a few digs at me as he did so often in the previous thread.

Whether or not I can convince anyone of my view or not is irrelevant here, I am still entitled to offer my opinion and counter posts I disagree with. I dont understand why I am no longer permitted to post while others who have not even attempted to discuss it reasonably are, or why I am lumped in with a poster who targeted me for reactions and degenerated the discussion to what it became.

To summarise the first thread descended into chaos because of certain posters and was locked with their transgressions ignored. And now they resurface in this one despite the thread being discussed reasonably before that and it decended again. Yet it all falls back on me and the opposing view is quashed because I cannot convince people who dont want to be convinced and would rather argue for the sake of it rather than leave me talk to the people who do want to hear what I have to say.

I'd like to question whether this modding is fair and why the posts in the previous thread have not been dealt with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Sorry I thought I had posted this in the dispute resolution forum. If you could move it that would be great. apologies for the mistake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MungBean wrote: »
    Sorry I thought I had posted this in the dispute resolution forum. If you could move it that would be great. apologies for the mistake.

It won't be moved, as this doesn't fall under the DRP process.

Ok, whats the next step then ? Wait for a cmod to contact me?

Can I get a little feedback from someone so I know this isnt being ignored or hasnt been forgotten about ?

Been 4 days and all I know is this doesnt come under the DRP process which leaves me not knowing how it will be dealt with, who's gonna deal with it or whether it will be dealt with at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Have a read of point 3 under the heading: "What DOES this forum handle" in this thread and you'll get an idea of what you're expected to do before you start a thread in here regarding moderators/moderation.

• Advertisement

Shield wrote: »
    Have a read of point 3 under the heading: "What DOES this forum handle" in this thread and you'll get an idea of what you're expected to do before you start a thread in here regarding moderators/moderation.

This point ?
    Complaints about a moderator action, ban or infraction - ALWAYS PM THE MODERATOR FIRST, to try resolve the situation amicably, like an adult. Feel free to read the full Dispute Resolution Procedure regarding this.
    If you're unhappy with that outcome, then get in touch with that sections CMod.
    If you are still unhappy, then start a thread here, and include as much relevant information as you can.

I did pm the moderator and he directed me to the DRP forum to dispute it. If I didnt make a mistake and put it hear Spear would have moved it anyway. I think the problem is theres two issues involved.

The other issues regarding the other thread which I used as a kind of background I brought to the attention of all mods and two cmods (previous to the issue I am raising). I got a message from one mod saying he didnt have the time. The cmod said they were reviewing a feedback thread about how the issue being was dealt with.

When the issue seemed to be resolved and the discussion was allowed to continue, I posted on the thread as others did. But to my mind the fact that no line was taken on post from the previous thread and that fact that it was only closed allowed a certain tone from certain posters to continue.

When I engaged with those posters the discussion got derailed a bit and three of us were instructed not to post. Basically the discussion was allowed, posters who degenerated the previous thread were allowed to post and the end result was the opposing view being banned from the discussion killing the thread.

So here I am 9 days from disputing the fact I was booted from a thread and we seem to be one day one of dealing with it.

Its been so long now that its irrelevant, I'll mark this as resolved or dead or whatever you stick on the ones your not bothered dealing with and I wont make the mistake of thinking this process is in any way shape or form designed to actually help anyone in future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just to ensure things are clear, the DRP covers forum bans and infractions, not more general moderator instructions or actions. The DRP text is more precise than the Helpdesk description, but it's confirmed as taking precedence. And hence Helpdesk has the moderator action prefix to facilitate this. So this is in the right place here in the Helpdesk. I know Sparks is aware of it from the thread started in DRP, but he may just forgetten about it/been busy etc, and may need a nudge. In the Helpdesk, unlike the DRP, the mods involved are also freer to explain their reasoning.

Spear wrote: »
    Just to ensure things are clear, the DRP covers forum bans and infractions, not more general moderator instructions or actions. The DRP text is more precise than the Helpdesk description, but it's confirmed as taking precedence. And hence Helpdesk has the moderator action prefix to facilitate this. So this is in the right place here in the Helpdesk. I know Sparks is aware of it from the thread started in DRP, but he may just forgetten about it/been busy etc, and may need a nudge. In the Helpdesk, unlike the DRP, the mods involved are also freer to explain their reasoning.

I have no problem with it being here if you think its where it should be. I only mentioned the DRP as thats what the mod who instructed me not to post told me to use to dispute it. Had I of posted there I assume you'd have moved it and have no issue with that.

My issue is that its been 9 days, and I'm being pointed to the charter as to what to do before posting in the help desk when I didnt even know I was posting in the help desk to begin with 9 days ago. Not only havent I gotten anywhere with the issue but I think we have actually gone backwards seeing as we are clear on what to do before starting a thread and where the thread belongs but nothing else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't understand the confusion on this one? If you contacted the Moderator, and the response you got from him was unsatisfactory, then the next step is to contact that Moderator's CMod. The process works if people follow the steps.

Shield wrote: »
    I don't understand the confusion on this one? If you contacted the Moderator, and the response you got from him was unsatisfactory, then the next step is to contact that Moderator's CMod. The process works if people follow the steps.

The original issue from the other thread was "in discussion" already because of a feedback thread that was being reviewed. So I did contact the cmod about that thread and the response was "its in review".

When I was directed not to post in the other thread (as far as I was aware it was created after the review of the other one) and I contacted the mod who directed me to the DRP forum. I mistakenly posted here but turns out that the mod was wrong and it should have been here anyway.

So if there's confusion it seems to lie with the mods and cmods in question.

• Advertisement

Closing at the OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement