Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3

Options
  • 20-10-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So which do you think you'll get and why, or will you get both, or do you have no intrest? I'm curious to hear what people think :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Definately BF3 for the Multiplayer firstly, but I also feel the singleplayer will be great.
    Will try get COD cheap down the line to play the singleplayer mostly and play a little bit of the Multiplayer.
    I've never enjoyed how quick and non-tactical/non-teamwork it can be at times for me (In my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh_look__it_s_THIS_thread_again-1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Someone post the MJ popcorn gif...

BF3 for me. Just a personal preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

This thread will not end well!! :pac:

Anyway i've been a fan of both franchises over the years, from Battlefield 2 and 1942 on the PC up to bad company 2 and similar with the CoD series.

When I got a PS3 it was the original MW that got me into playing FPS on a console which was alien to me at the time and I loved it. Since then i've played a hell of alot of BC2 and MW2 + Black Ops.

Having said that picking between MW3 and Battlefield3 could not be an easier choice, its Battlefield every day of the week. It will be a much superior game in every aspect.

CoD is for pick up and play twitch shooting with no thinking involved and unfortunately it hasn't evolved in any way. It's the same game mechanics and engine the original MW was made on almost 5 years ago. It hasn't had a good single player campaign since CoD 4 and I wouldn't bet on MW3 being any different especially now that Treyarch are the main dev for the series!!

Looking at videos of MW3 it honestly just looks like a DLC pack which is quite sad.

At least with Battlefield Dice are pushing their limits, creating a new frostbite engine and going for bigger more ambitious goals. I got a chance to play on the 64 player Caspean Border map during beta for the PC and it was immense. I'll hold judgement on the Single Player side of things as Dice aren't renowned for making amazing single player games but it does look very good so far.

TL-DR: Battlefield will be a day one purchase for me and I know I will get months of play time out of it!! MW3 I will keep an eye on, I might pick it up for the Spec Ops side of things to play when I have the nephew over but im very bored with the series as a whole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Thread needs poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thread needs poll.

thread needs a lock, unless you love handbag fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

I'll be getting BF3 ever since MW2 Cod Has Lost It Imo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Getting both for the use you get out of them you would spend more on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I'll be getting BF3 ever since MW2 Cod Has Lost It Imo :(
    cod hasn,t treyarch have.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

BF3 for me

I would usually have gotten both...but seeing MW3 footage has shown me just how lazy they are being with it. They have bascially reskinned MW2 and added a few extras... because they know it will still sell in droves.

I got bored of MW2, bored of Black Ops.. yet always went back to BC2. DICE's community involvement and support is second to none, up there with Bungie.

BF3 will be the superior game.. yet MW3 will sell much more, and be more "popular"... but Activision will have 1 less sale this year thats for sure (not that they care but w/e)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I find the recent call of duty's single player to be terrible. It's the most boring thing I've ever played. You cant even open the doors yourself, if you don't follow teammates then you fail the mission, shoot an enemy when your not supposed to and its the same deal.. just a load of scripted nonsense. It's more like a really bad interactive movie, but with little interaction. Did you see the demo that robert bowling was playing at e3. He was 'controlling' some silly underwater contraption for around 10 minutes, but when the camera shot to his controller he wasn't even pressing any buttons. Wow that looks fun. cod, coduo and cod2's single player were really good though. Even though the single player is awful and I hate lots of things about the multiplayer, its still alot of fun and play them loads.

Loved the original battlefield and bf2, but I didn't enjoy the ones since the first bad company. Saying that I'll probably buy both of them anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The only CoD single player I enjoyed was CoD2 and WM1. Then again I never buy these for the single player. I've pre-order BF3 and will probably get WM3 in a sale – which will most likely be 3 years from now as they tend to never drop the price.

Ok so this thread prompted me to go look at a few MW3 vids on youtube.

WTF is this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilUuW7aq94U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboHkL0TvvY

Is this MW2.1 or MW3?? They have literally just repackaged MW2 with new maps!! That has to be the laziest piece of **** game design i've ever seen it's literally glorified DLC!!

Scrap what I said earlier I will not be buying this game under any circumstances!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I hate the comparisons between the 2 tbh.

2 very different styles of games and there is no point in comparing them beyond the fact they are both fps games.

I love the slower pace of Bf, and the teamwork involved.

Sometimes I just like the never ending, run around mad killing spree in the COD series.

Sometimes I am in the mood for BF, other times COD.

What is annoying,and has been pointed out is the lack of innovation in the COD series lately. MW3 honestly looks the same as MW2 and Blops. Serious lack of imagination or laziness. No matter what they do they know they will sell a huge number of games and that is not on.

I will be buying Bf3 on release day, maybe COD second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

BF3 beta was awful, so i'll give it a second chance later in the year after MW3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Modern Warfare. Been there, done that, same engine, same set pieces, nothing new.

BF3, a bit fresher, new engine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

bmcc10 wrote: »
    cod hasn,t treyarch have.

No Infinity ward were Quite Sh!te too............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I see the Battlefield fanboys are out in force :rolleyes:

COD consistently outsells Battlefield for a reason. Its actually fun to play. You can actually rack up somes kills instead of ponsing around playing boring buddy buddy teamwork in BF.

MW3 will outsell BF3 by a mile, and its for a good reason. People vote with their wallets, and the results prove MW3 is a much better game.

But keep telling yourselves everyone else is wrong and you're right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

If your on console... then its got to be MW3.. if (And only if) you really liked MW2 because it seems to be more of the same. BF3 beta on PS3 didn't impress me at all, but im sure it'll kick ass on PC so if i had one that was good enough to run it.. thats what i'd go for. I'll probably get both tho, im sure they'll both keep me entertained until cs:go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

yekahS wrote: »

COD consistently outsells Battlefield for a reason. Its actually fun to play. You can actually rack up somes kills instead of ponsing around playing boring buddy buddy teamwork in BF.

MW3 will outsell BF3 by a mile, and its for a good reason. People vote with their wallets, and the results prove MW3 is a much better game.

I'm far from a Battlefield fanboy but working together as part of a team to achieve objectives is one of the best parts of it. Better than having a team of l33t snipers quick scoping around a map.

There's nothing boring about teamwork, the fact that you say that reflects more on you than the game itself to be honest.

COD will more than likely outsell BF3 this year, that doesn't necessarily mean its a better game at all and is a poor attempt at an argument. That can be said about things like an X-Factor album will outsell more than other artists, it's certainly not cos it'll be any better than them ;)

Just to note, I've got every COD on the 360 to date, won't be getting MW3 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Uncharted 3 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Will be buying MW2 for the Single Player with infrequent online play/occasional local split screen.

Will be buying BF3 for online play only.

I actually find that Battlefield 2 is still a far, far superior game to either of those franchises, in terms of online play in any case. Bad Company was fun but it wasn't Battlefield as it used to be.

Strike at Karkand, 64 players, and some epic teamwork with fellow boardsies....those were the days. Hard to believe they were over 5 years ago.

Never played a game like it in my life, and truthfully don't expect BF3 on the 360 to live up to it either (can't get it for PC, just doesn't suit me at the moment with my tiny desk)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Neither ill be picking up HAZE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Glorious PC master race multiplayer: Battlefield 3

Shallow depth arcade multiplayer shooter I can kill an hour or two with and troll Search and Destroy with a riot shield and C4 I'll pick up used so Activision don't get my money: Modern Warfare 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

BF3 multiplayer hands down, MW3 just can't compete with this sort of scale.
    MW3 has a sweet single player that i love. so probably get both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'll get both battlefield for epic gaming and mw3 for when I'm pissed drunk and bored if none of the IRL clan are online :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

BF3 multiplayer on PC for me. Have no interest in the single player as I didn't really enjoy the single player for BC2 and Medal of Honor.

It out sells it because it was a great game in it's day up to and including the original MW. It attracted a large audience which it deserved at the time.

The reason it still sells so well is because frankly it's piss easy to play, anyone can pick up a controller and run around thinking they're Andy McNab so it gets all the younger generation of gamers playing it and talking about it.

My 9 year old nephew loves the CoD series and I play it with him when hes over but for depth and proper team play co-ordinaton that actually requires me to think I play Bad Company 2.

Also you are basing the fact MW3 will be better than BF3 based on sales, up until last year Titanic was the highest grossing film of all time. Going by your logic it's the best film ever made? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

ibaxUF5Sy4da6G.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I dunno, am I the only one finding battelfield seriously impossible?

I downloaded the beta, and its like spawn, spend 2 mins looking for enemy in ridiculously over sized map, find enemy, die. Rinse and repeat, i went 2 for 15 in my first game!

What am i doing wrong, Ive heard so much about Battelfields amazing teamwork etc etc, but I dont see it!

Can anyone tell me how to actually play it? :pac: Im very much sitting on the MW2.1 side of the fence ATM!

Advertisement