Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Neither ill be picking up HAZE
    korn5.jpg

I see the Korn fanboys are out in force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This is simple. get both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I dunno, am I the only one finding battelfield seriously impossible?

I downloaded the beta, and its like spawn, spend 2 mins looking for enemy in ridiculously over sized map, find enemy, die. Rinse and repeat, i went 2 for 15 in my first game!

What am i doing wrong, Ive heard so much about Battelfields amazing teamwork etc etc, but I dont see it!

Can anyone tell me how to actually play it? :pac: Im very much sitting on the MW2.1 side of the fence ATM!

You can't expect to be able to do much on your very first game. Battlefield has always had a steeper learning curve than other shooters. It's not about K/D ratio or twitch gameplay although that does come into it, it's about completing the objectives with the support of your squad and teammates.

You have to attack in groups, you have to heal/resupply/spot/repair. You have to out-flank, out-manoeuvre and out-think the other team. Running off on your own into the enemy will end with you dead having accomplished very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Not gonna lie.. i played BF3 like i play CoD.. and I raped... nothing to learn really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    Not gonna lie.. i played BF3 like i play CoD.. and I raped... nothing to learn really.

The Beta really isn't a good indication of how the game plays. It was really stupid putting out a beta like that because it played very close to CoD. When you have larger maps with vehicles and everything else Battlefield is a much different beast. The beta was a big mistake because I know it will put alot of people off and really isn't a good indication of how the game will actually play (and hopefully it will look a lot better, although I'm pretty sure it will).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I suppose metro rush was a bit like COD, in that you could run off on your own and do pretty well because there were only two objectives at any one time and therefor it was more focussed so the whole team would be attacking/defending the same points.

In Caspian however without group support you were screwed if you came up against any sort of organised opposition. You could only get so far attacking before you ran out of ammo/came up against a tank/helicopter without the means to do anything about it. And if you're defending a point on your own, as soon as a squad working together spotted you and flanked you, you haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Beta really isn't a good indication of how the game plays. It was really stupid putting out a beta like that because it played very close to CoD. When you have larger maps with vehicles and everything else Battlefield is a much different beast. The beta was a big mistake because I know it will put alot of people off and really isn't a good indication of how the game will actually play (and hopefully it will look a lot better, although I'm pretty sure it will).

the beta did put me off initially, but there's probably an amazing game to be played and I dont want to miss out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

you need support????

www.irlclan.net

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

sink wrote: »
    You can't expect to be able to do much on your very first game. Battlefield has always had a steeper learning curve than other shooters. It's not about K/D ratio or twitch gameplay although that does come into it, it's about completing the objectives with the support of your squad and teammates.

You have to attack in groups, you have to heal/resupply/spot/repair. You have to out-flank, out-manoeuvre and out-think the other team. Running off on your own into the enemy will end with you dead having accomplished very little.

Its the same as any bleedin fps, if your playing pub do what you want, cause everybody else does.. Lookin for kills?? base rape or camp/zerg capturable bases.. Its really not hard at all to grasp, there isnt much of a learning curv, looking at your map helps alot.. Failing that, follow the guys on your team that are kicking ass..

This is how BF games go in pub, you will have 2-3 players on each side hauling ass and doing what needs to be done, a good few will camp the spawn on the fun vehicles (tank/heli/planes) and the rest will take ages getting to anywhere and then just dying as they havent or probably will ever have a clue of whats going on or there machine they play on is just that damn slow.. :D

In COD just keep playing, doesnt matter how well you do, after awhile you will unlock the good weapons/perks. The perks are what give noobs skill and make skillful players godlike, just learn the choke points and rush to them each round and unload your nades and spam the wall corners with your gunfire.. When you get the lightfoot, long sprint perk and that perk that also turns your knife into what can only be deemed an invisible spear, just run around the map shanking everybody like a madman, just stay away from long corridors, its easy..

God i miss games that just had guns and required quick hand/eye coordination :D

Out of the two games though, id go with BF3, it will provide more fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

nix wrote: »
    Its the same as any bleedin fps, if your playing pub do what you want, cause everybody else does.. Lookin for kills?? base rape or camp/zerg capturable bases.. Its really not hard at all to grasp, there isnt much of a learning curv, looking at your map helps alot.. Failing that, follow the guys on your team that are kicking ass..

This is how BF games go in pub, you will have 2-3 players on each side hauling ass and doing what needs to be done, a good few will camp the spawn on the fun vehicles (tank/heli/planes) and the rest will take ages getting to anywhere and then just dying as they havent or probably will ever have a clue of whats going on or there machine they play on is just that damn slow.. :D

In COD just keep playing, doesnt matter how well you do, after awhile you will unlock the good weapons/perks. The perks are what give noobs skill and make skillful players godlike, just learn the choke points and rush to them each round and unload your nades and spam the wall corners with your gunfire.. When you get the lightfoot, long sprint perk and that perk that also turns your knife into what can only be deemed an invisible spear, just run around the map shanking everybody like a madman, just stay away from long corridors, its easy..

God i miss games that just had guns and required quick hand/eye coordination :D

Out of the two games though, id go with BF3, it will provide more fun..

that post was 1337, literally, check your post count :D

ps: do not reply to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Will be buying MW2 for the Single Player with infrequent online play/occasional local split screen.

)
    I know it looks,plays and is the exact same game but it's actually MW3, I know it's hard to tell the difference.

Beta for B3 was ****e, tried to hard to lure cod gamers. I'll be picking up B3 and spending another 600+ hours on a vastly superior game to MW2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

poor red orchestra

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

yekahS wrote: »
    I see the Battlefield fanboys are out in force :rolleyes:

COD consistently outsells Battlefield for a reason. Its actually fun to play. You can actually rack up somes kills instead of ponsing around playing boring buddy buddy teamwork in BF.

MW3 will outsell BF3 by a mile, and its for a good reason. People vote with their wallets, and the results prove MW3 is a much better game.

But keep telling yourselves everyone else is wrong and you're right :rolleyes:

Actually, this was the first troll fanboy comment in the thread.

Just because a game sells well does not mean it's any good - it just means it's popular.

Sometimes I like to play team games - BF3 will give me that fix, other times I just like to run and gun - that's what MW3 is for.

I'll pick up both sometime in the new year, but right now, I'm too busy playing THE GOTY - Dark Souls - it won't sell anywhere near as many copies as either BF3 or MW3, that doesn't make it a crap game - it just means it sells less.

"But keep telling yourself everyone else is wrong and you're right :rolleyes:" :rolleyes:

F1ngers wrote: »
    Actually, this was the first troll fanboy comment in the thread.

Just because a game sells well does not mean it's any good - it just means it's popular.

Sometimes I like to play team games - BF3 will give me that fix, other times I just like to run and gun - that's what MW3 is for.

I'll pick up both sometime in the new year, but right now, I'm too busy playing THE GOTY - Dark Souls - it won't sell anywhere near as many copies as either BF3 or MW3, that doesn't make it a crap game - it just means it sells less.

"But keep telling yourself everyone else is wrong and you're right :rolleyes:" :rolleyes:
    Great game. Though I'm sure batman fans will say otherwise about goty.
    It is without a doubt the only decent game of it's type to be out this year and last year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah, this was my biggest gripe with the beta tbh (I made a big post about my thoughts on the BF forum). It basically felt like 3 CoD maps in one and because its a lot less smooth than CoD, to me it felt like a bad version of it. BF has always been about large scale battles for me so to have such a poor map as the beta (Which lets be honest.. was basically a demo) was a bad decision on dices part. I'll be getting the full game anyway because i've faith the bigger maps will be good and hopefully the final build performs better than the beta did on consoles. The hype before the beta was much bigger than it is now imo.
    Great game. Though I'm sure batman fans will say otherwise about goty.
    It is without a doubt the only decent game of it's type to be out this year and last year too!

What type of game is it tho ? (Assasins Creed i guess is similar ?)

There are gonna be so many great games in contention for GOTY this year imo... Darksouls/Batman/UC3/Skyrim/Portal2/DeusEx/Zelda/GoW3/Resistence3/KZ3/AC... and im sure most of those will win at least one GOTY award !

For me... my GOTY will probably be between Darksouls/DuesEx/Skyrim or Zelda :P Gonna be so hard to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blades7

mw3 personally

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

MW3 for me.

Have played BF:BC2 & while I accept it's a good game I just prefer the look, feel and gameplay of MW2.

Will be getting both tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BF3 no question, will probably rent MW3 to play the campaign once but thats my limit for CoD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Getting BF3 but will probably get a copy of COD from somewhere.

Aint a hope Im paying for a COD title again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I find the COD engine far superior to Battlefield's. Vehicles are annoying too. Just not my type of game. It beggars belief how anyone can say MW3 looks like the same game as MW2, it has the same engine yes but there are a lot of new features, some which I'm not sure about. I can see how people like Battlefield, it's slightly more of a sim than COD but I like the arcade-ness of COD tbh, people saying it's not realistic really miss the point.

I'm sure Battlefield fans will enjoy Battlefield but the amount of preaching about COD players etc is quite annoying and Battlefield players can be just as bad I noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

COD:MW was about as far as I went with that series, I had been playing COD since the first one and it's just been done to death now, back in the day the new games would have been nothing more than a cheap expansion pack for the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Liam O wrote: »
    I find the COD engine far superior to Battlefield's. Vehicles are annoying too. Just not my type of game. It beggars belief how anyone can say MW3 looks like the same game as MW2, it has the same engine yes but there are a lot of new features, some which I'm not sure about. I can see how people like Battlefield, it's slightly more of a sim than COD but I like the arcade-ness of COD tbh, people saying it's not realistic really miss the point.

I'm sure Battlefield fans will enjoy Battlefield but the amount of preaching about COD players etc is quite annoying and Battlefield players can be just as bad I noticed.

Mw2 and mw3 engine is quake 3 engine with tit implants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Seeing as Battlefield ain't coming out on Wii and CoD:MW3 is, it's CoD for me...

<awaits graphic hoare flames>

Liam O wrote: »

It's just the lack of innovation and new things they come up with that really bug me. It's practically the same game.

You don't like vehicles?? B3 has an infantry only option. See thats what I see as something smart, they want cod fanbase no doubt, they no that not all cod players will want vehicles straight off so they give them a more realistic shooter with team play - the vehicles. Also the amount cod charges for map packs annoy me

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'll be buying both games. Both offer a different FPS experience so I'll enjoy it. Simples.

If I'm honest, I'm looking more forward to Uncharted 3 than either BF3 or MW3 it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well I'm getting both. have got massive amount of play time out of mw2 (25 days or so) so if I get even half of that out of mw3 it will be money well spent.

if the formulae is working why change it too much ?? i love games of search and destroy , and as BF3 has nothing like that i will probably play more MW3.

But i will also give BF3 a good chance too. It is out earlier so I have a few weeks to try it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

TBH I probably would be happy just renting both of these and playing the single player campaign. I'm not a fan of multi-player on games like these. Some people take themselves waaaay too seriously on it and it kinda ruins the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭White Wolf Airsoft

BattleField Rated M for Manly
    Cod Rated M for Mommy Bought it for Me
    But yea Battlefield Kicks cods ass Online looks GREAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

BF3. I enjoyed the first MW but didn't really like MW2 and haven't played the others.
    I put in well over 100hours on BC2 over the last year and will probably be playing it right up until next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Might also pick up Goldeneye for the nostalgia

Advertisement