Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Spear wrote: »
    I would've gone for MW3 as well as BF3, but now that there's no proper servers for MW3, and only P2P matchmaking, there's no point.

I thought they had put them back in :confused: real piss take if its true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Burgo wrote: »
    I thought they had put them back in :confused: real piss take if its true.

Only for unranked matches so you get no unlocks and exp in dedicated servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

MW3 near enought to release date and then probably BF3 for the pc.Loved BF2 but was a bit meh about BF:BC2(i was a met about Blops too).

dont play the SP so its all about the online side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Moved onto multiplayer and its much better, still has issues but the game is so enjoyable they are forgivable.

Would love to have a squad to play with as there is just no talking at all going on, I gave up a full round just piloting a helicopter. It was brilliant flying in hovering over spawn points just circling letting the machine gunner tear them apart. Managed to stay in the air for the full round ! As long as i just fly the dam thing i can manage to stay in the air, If im in a little bird and trying to shoot people its a different matter :D Lots of games start with 2 little birds taking off flying into each other and crashing :D

One issue i'm having is still with seeing people, not so much with them being tiny but there are so may things on screen. I was playing the capture the flag missions so you had a big A, B & C on screen showing the flags. But they are huge and anyone behind them is hidden.

Very enjoyable over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I remember the first few days of BC2. No-one could fly a helicopter. 4 or so guys would spawn, ready for action, hope into the chopper, then it would go up, flip upside down straight into a cliff.

Good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Spunge wrote: »
    I remember the first few days of BC2. No-one could fly a helicopter. 4 or so guys would spawn, ready for action, hope into the chopper, then it would go up, flip upside down straight into a cliff.

Good times

Just had a moment, i was sneaking up on a APC to hit it with a rocket, Just above two little birds came swooping in trying to shoot at each, I hit one with a rocket the other lost control started spinning and went head on into the other little bird and both landed on the vehicle below, just as they all blew up a tank came whizzing right through all of them so hit that with 2 rockets too. Big pile of 4 wrecked vehicle and me starting there out in the open feeling kinda awesome to be honest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Trevor451 wrote: »
    According to activision MW3 is the "most anticipated game in history"

Half life 3 anyone? :rolleyes:

In fairness it's true.

All you have to do is look at the figures.

Black Ops for example sold bucket loads more than any half life game. In fact it's sold over double of what Half Life 2 has sold to date.

Half Life 3 hasn't a hope of selling anywhere near MW3.

Doesn't mean it's a better game but 'most anticipated game in history' based on past sales as well as projected to be fair isn't off the mark.

Good times

Another great Battlefield video from the same guys. Some day sooner then we might think, games will truly be like this....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In fairness it's true.

Black Ops for example sold bucket loads more than any half life game. In fact it's sold over double of what Half Life 2 has sold to date.

Doesn't mean it's a better game but 'most anticipated game in history' based on past sales as well as projected to be fair isn't off the mark.

That and the fact that MW3 definately exists :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Good times

Maybe I'm in a giddy mood, but this made me laugh so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

In fairness it's true.

Tbh tho... half life 2 has sold over 12 million copys on steam alone, who knows how many valve would have sold if they actually put some effort into launching the game on consoles. Especially if they include the usual CS/DoD games. And like you said, it would no doubt **** all over MW3 in terms of quality, which is all that matters to us :P

Magill wrote: »
    Tbh tho... half life 2 has sold over 12 million copys on steam alone, who knows how many valve would have sold if they actually put some effort into launching the game on consoles. Especially if they include the usual CS/DoD games. And like you said, it would no doubt **** all over MW3 in terms of quality, which is all that matters to us :P

I actually have Half Life 2 on the Xbox original. For a console that age, it looks remarkably good - it's nothing short of astounding, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I actually have Half Life 2 on the Xbox original. For a console that age, it looks remarkably good - it's nothing short of astounding, really.

HL2 on pc still looks better than a lot of current gen games, its the facial animation and textures that make it, and theres some updated graphics mods for it as well. I upgraded my pc just for that in 2004, seems like an age ago.

I hope to christ they dont try make a multiplayer Half Life 3, leave it as an amazing single player and stick some incarnation of Counter Strike in with it.

if the game ever gets released, is this the new Duke Nukem? well actually lets hope not cos the new Duke Nukem sucked balls.

krudler wrote: »
    HL2 on pc still looks better than a lot of current gen games, its the facial animation and textures that make it, and theres some updated graphics mods for it as well. I upgraded my pc just for that in 2004, seems like an age ago.

I hope to christ they dont try make a multiplayer Half Life 3, leave it as an amazing single player and stick some incarnation of Counter Strike in with it.

if the game ever gets released, is this the new Duke Nukem? well actually lets hope not cos the new Duke Nukem sucked balls.

The engine was a masterpiece. It brought the game to a spectrum of machines like no other - it ran on some serious shitboxes, it literally was the game that could proudly almost universally say 'You don't need to upgrade to play this game'. I've seen the game running fairly fluidly and at a respectful visual on video cards that could barely run games that came out years before it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No!

Multiplayer Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are some of the best no nonsense deathmatch games ever. Nothing like killing someone with a toilet to the back of the head at a LAN. Multiplayer HL2 came a few weeks after the game was released so I'm sure they'll concentrate on the main game before throwing in a multiplayer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, HL2 had a Deathmatch mode and it's one of the greatest SP games in history.

HL2 DM is a ton of fun :)
    Retr0 thanks for reminding me, now I miss it :(

Tempted to check if I can add a HL2 DM server switch option to my L4D2 server with Multiplay, for some quick shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

lol krudler..... HL1 + 2 are 2 of the best multiplayers around, not counting cs/tf/dod ! HL2 Deathmatch is awesome.

And no, valve actually know how to make good games so i doubt it'll be like duke nukem :P They just like taking their freaking time getting round to it ! (Portal/TF2/L4D/Dota2) are all 9-10/10 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No!

Multiplayer Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are some of the best no nonsense deathmatch games ever. Nothing like killing someone with a toilet to the back of the head at a LAN. Multiplayer HL2 came a few weeks after the game was released so I'm sure they'll concentrate on the main game before throwing in a multiplayer one.

I...did not know HL2 had a multiplayer :o always though Counter Strike was Valves MP game, oops :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yeah wtf. I had it on PC when it came out. Then i got it on original xbox and it looked just as good !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im a massive cod fan, sick of the series at moment. nothing new or exciting, was boycotting mw3 this year got BF3 and all i can say is its absolute muck. this is my opinion NOT anyone else's so any of you fanboys don't get all upset. its 1 persons opinion. mine. after all the hype its disappointing to me. i have lost count how many times i have ran around a corner and seen enemy to start pumping machine gun rounds into him but i go down with a very few rounds from him. (after i have unloaded half a magazine into him) its pissing me off so much i have it 1 day I'm considering trading it in already. way too frustrating to me. also it annoys me you can't leave lobby you gotta wait 40 seconds for next round to start in order to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Nodferatu wrote: »
    im a massive cod fan, sick of the series at moment. nothing new or exciting, was boycotting mw3 this year got BF3 and all i can say is its absolute muck. this is my opinion NOT anyone else's so any of you fanboys don't get all upset. its 1 persons opinion. mine. after all the hype its disappointing to me. i have lost count how many times i have ran around a corner and seen enemy to start pumping machine gun rounds into him but i go down with a very few rounds from him. (after i have unloaded half a magazine into him) its pissing me off so much i have it 1 day I'm considering trading it in already. way too frustrating to me. also it annoys me you can't leave lobby you gotta wait 40 seconds for next round to start in order to leave.

I'd be raging, trading it in and calling it muck if I was playing it on a console too.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Battlefield for me. Haven't loved a call of duty since the forth. Stupid kill streaks and stupid perks just make it less about gun skill and more about camp and get high kill streaks for a chopper gunner. Something I actually hate about modern shooters is the persistent kill to death ratio and stats. It makes playing objective games these days pointless because a lot of people do be stat whoring and afraid to jump on a flag or run any objectives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nodferatu wrote: »
    it annoys me you can't leave lobby you gotta wait 40 seconds for next round to start in order to leave.
    I'm amazed they haven't addressed this.
    It was the ruin of many a game in the last one,you can end up on your own against 12 lads due to your team dropping out at the start.
    Just let people drop out in between games and even out the teams,is that too much to ask??
    I'm fairly let down by it meself,I'm trying my best to get into it but just feel like sticking bad company 2 on instead at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Yeah wtf. I had it on PC when it came out. Then i got it on original xbox and it looked just as good !

I believe the Xbox version got the updated character models from the 'episodes'.

Fnz wrote: »
    I believe the Xbox version got the updated character models from the 'episodes'.

This is Half Life 2 on the Xbox in 2004 or whatever it was, not the one on 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Ive never seen a group of gamers become so obsessed with visual aesthetics in such a short space of time as I have between the first BF3 video and the first MW3 video.

It's amazing what marketing will do to a target consumer base. :)

Enjoy BF3 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

For online gaming then it has to be mw3, bf3 is full of campers and the maps are too big, not to mention the controls are annoying. bf3 single player is very good though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Actually I found the SP in BF3 to be pretty poor, with a nonsensical plot ans annoying QTEs. It also appears to be the general consensus. MP on PC with 64 players is amazing!

Advertisement