Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Pressure - new irish surf documentary

Options
  • 20-10-2011 4:59pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

New surf film coming out centered around the tow in comp at mullghmore last year. Could be interesting,I enjoyed Waveriders for what it was. Loos like it will have some decent close up footage of the comp anyway.

Trailer/Preview here: http://vimeo.com/30620110

Thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Yeah i found waveriders extremely disappointing, didn't seem to be anything new in it when compared to stuff already out for years and the irish surf footage was too sparse. A non surfer that came along with me fell asleep during it, i'd told them it was going to be mental footage etc :D

This on the other hand looks really interesting from the trailer there. No wide shots of waikiki just straight into it. I was down for the comp and i have to tip my hat to anyone who was out there, the size of those waves is only appreciated in the flesh when you see someone dropping down it and the dry rock on the inside. Fair play i don't think i'd ever have the liathroidi! (or skill)

Someone took a bad wipe out one of the days was it a dislocated knee or something?

Paul Rennick (RIP) was down there on last day of comp trying to decide on taking out his kitesurfing gear, i tried to talk him out of it don't think he went in the end!

Hope there's plenty of wave footage and not too much of the talking heads, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought Waveriders was grand but I thought it did kind of come off as a glorified tourist brochure in some ways.

I would love to see mullaghmore on a day like that but I wasn't up there the day of the comp, was surfing down home, I think the comp had drawn the crowds away as there was a break going off that only usually happens a few times a year which was unusually quiet, so couldn't complain :D

nice work! its worth seeing something like that if you get a chance.

wouldn't be too pushed on comps though, unless you're in them it's not real riveting to watch.

surfing is becoming a decent sized participant sport but if you ever see a comp going on in strandhill there's usually the competitors, a few people that have travelled with them and a man walking his dog watching it. i guess surfing is a bit different in that repect.

why do folks think it's the way it is? why don't more surfers aspire to compete?

ps i dont' compete, wouldn't be that interested in that side of it (wouldn't be good enough anyways!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Would love to see it with the soruond sound up full on max base or on the big screen. And fair play the the lads who ran it a grass roots comp and not something imported or forced on us.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

promethius wrote: »

wouldn't be too pushed on comps though, unless you're in them it's not real riveting to watch.

surfing is becoming a decent sized participant sport but if you ever see a comp going on in strandhill there's usually the competitors, a few people that have travelled with them and a man walking his dog watching it. i guess surfing is a bit different in that repect.

why do folks think it's the way it is? why don't more surfers aspire to compete?

ps i dont' compete, wouldn't be that interested in that side of it (wouldn't be good enough anyways!!)

I guess it's not advertised to the general public enough, I wouldn't have even known that was on but for I saw stuff about it in the surf forums.

As for competing, I guess its not really encouraged enough plus when its taught to kids its not really taught as a sport they might aspire to one day compete in more just something fun to do on a day out. Of course theres always a few who will catch the bug, but in fairness if it was done right the potential is there to make it a big competitive sport here, there could be surf camps incorporated into school curriculums and all sorts. Of course there's the issue that introducing the sport to people on such a big scale would kind of go against the culture of the sport to an extent.

Wouldn't really be interested in competing myself either,would kind of go against why I surf really and also I'm nowhere near good enough either! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

any word on a release/screnning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

when's this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

On a differnt slightly related note, there is an excellent book out at the moment.
    It's "Cliffs of Insanity" following Fergal Smith and a crew of Irish/Cornish surfers around Clare.
    Only came across this last weekend, written by Keith Duggan well known sport journalist for Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Whos the older ozzie surfer in the clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Just so we are all clear contrary to what one fella says in the trailer the wave is in Sligo, it may be Donegal bay from a geographical point of view but its Sligo shams.

• Advertisement

yeah good call it's in sligo alright and not the first time this mistake has been made in a surfing movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

North Mayo is in Donegal also apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

There's feck all really decent surf in Sligo, hence the reason they have to hit Donegal etc...

There's feck all really decent surf in Sligo, hence the reason they have to hit Donegal etc...

yeah sligo's a surfing backwater, no decent spots really for any level of surfer. so i'd give it a miss. plenty of surf for all levels in donegal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Guys, I know I'm kicking up an old thread - but has this docu seen the light of day yet ? I've only seen the 6 minute trailer floating round the net and no further details.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sidewayslarry

Junior wrote: »
    Guys, I know I'm kicking up an old thread - but has this docu seen the light of day yet ? I've only seen the 6 minute trailer floating round the net and no further details.

Cheers

Didn't know you were into your surfing J? I was only down in Bunmahon the other day - wouldn't be too far from you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

I don't think Irelands climate is conducive to spectating. Lets face it it's hard enough to get in the water sometimes to surf. I don't imagine many want to hang around in the wet, wind & cold if they only have a passing interest in the sport.
    Though somehow there always seems to be a man right beside you "reading the paper" in his car when it's time to get changed!:rolleyes:
    promethius wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe it will get that way eventually in Ireland. I wouldn't think it's very competitive or territorial in Ireland as much as it is in other countries (yet)?

Advertisement