Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody know about the Fountain Blue in Longford?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

messrs wrote: »

is this true? does anyone know if it was sold?

It didn't sell... withdrawn from auction at €150,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

wow, would have thought reserve price would have been higher that than, surprised someone didnt buy it, would have thought that would have been snapped up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

messrs wrote: »
    wow, would have thought reserve price would have been higher that than, surprised someone didnt buy it, would have thought that would have been snapped up!

For what though? I guess it's only the land that has any kind of value and what good is it in the current climate. The building is in poor condition now.

I would have taken the 145k and ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blackstuff10

corazon wrote: »
    I grew up beside the Fountain and worked in it for several years in the early eighties. It was owned then by Brady's in Cavan and was the place to go. They had live music several nights a week and a full restaurant service. I often saw three weddings a week in the place. Use to be mad busy.

I worked there in 1980/81 , and it was indeed the place to be , best entertainment, Gerry Harrington( my mentor) was the boss then , anyone that was anyone played in the "Fountain" we used to live over in the corner ,
    best venue in longford for weddings , think a few of the lads are still working in the town............

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blackstuff10

I've been interested in this place since I was a child, I pass it when i visit my uncle in Dublin and then I come back home. My gran from rooskey told me that a girl she knew, was killed by a bus after some ball,grad or Disco that the girl attended to. It happened before the ballroom was about to shut down in the 80's or 90's. One day, I was researching it all over the web, I saw it went on fire in 2009 suspicously at 8pm here's the evidence that I found: http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/suspicious_fire_at_fountain_blue_1_1954037.
    and also I saw in a weird website that it was haunted because it was abandoned for so long & people saw a figure walking slowly around it when passing by it.

I worked there in 1980/81 , and it was indeed the place to be , best entertainment, Gerry Harrington( my mentor) was the boss then , anyone that was anyone played in the "Fountain" we used to live over in the corner ,
    best venue in longford for weddings , think a few of the lads are still working in the town............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Paul74910

It was a god ould spot to get the "Charver"!!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I heard that the guy who owns Big Mickey's (think his name is Mick Byrne) bought it. Indeed one of his vans was outside it today when I drove past.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

TheBody wrote: »
    I heard that the guy who owns Big Mickey's (think his name is Mick Byrne) bought it. Indeed one of his vans was outside it today when I drove past.

No...................... but close.

No...................... but close.

lol!! Any plans to open something or is it just going to be used for storage?

• Advertisement

lol!! Any plans to open something or is it just going to be used for storage?[/QUOTE

No clue yet. Any good ideas yourself ?

lol!! Any plans to open something or is it just going to be used for storage?[/QUOTE

Fair enough. Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Hi Mick, I used to commute that road everyday.

I'd say there'd be great demand for a service station/rest area/restaurant in that location.

There's not a massive choice currently on that stretch of road. You either have to head off into Edgeworthstown or the Longford Texaco on the Drumlish road. There doesn't seem to be any plans to continue the motorway from Mullingar any time soon, so there should be a good few years of passing trade there.

Best of luck with whatever you do with it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »

I'd say there'd be great demand for a service station/rest area/restaurant in that location.

There's not a massive choice currently on that stretch of road. You either have to head off into Edgeworthstown or the Longford Texaco on the Drumlish road. There doesn't seem to be any plans to continue the motorway from Mullingar any time soon, so there should be a good few years of passing trade there.

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. Also, it's right by my house and would be fierce handy!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Aye, not too far from where I'd live too. Frankly, it'd be nice to see anything done with the building, it's been sitting derelict for longer than I've lived in Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There's 2 handy service stations in Ballinalack though.
    Deffo no plans to continue the motorway but there were plans to bypass Ballinalack, Rathowen and the existing Longford bypass including the N4.
    http://www.longfordcoco.ie/uploadedFiles/LongfordCoCo/Our_Departments/Roads/Documents/N4_Mullingar_to_Longford(Roosky)/PRC05N4M2L.pdf

Haven't heard any more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    There's 2 handy service stations in Ballinalack though.

Ye, normally they're jammers with customers at rush hour, it wouldn't be unusal to have to wait for a pump, or get stuck trying to pull out due to the heavy traffic. That's why I reckon there'd be a good market for another one.
    Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Lol at that, it looks like someone gave a two year old a blue crayon and a map of Longford to pick that route.biggrin.png

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Ye, normally they're jammers with customers at rush hour, it wouldn't be unusal to have to wait for a pump, or get stuck trying to pull out due to the heavy traffic. That's why I reckon there'd be a good market for another one.

Lol at that, it looks like someone gave a two year old a blue crayon and a map of Longford to pick that route.biggrin.png

I agree. I often drive by because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I usually go to Texaco in Clonard for diesel.

I heard someone tried for a petrol station there already and was turned down. Council's don't like petrol stations outside the speed limit signs in case of accidents. I'd say you are right as regards a new road due to money shortage. That new road could be a long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Aye, I mentioned the latter years point at the start... my dad and uncle were regular DJs there back during the Paris days. ;)

Young Conboy ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

So much traffic again by the FB... so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I think Meat Loaf played there in or around 1989/1990

Advertisement