Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost gun licence

Options
  • 20-10-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all, Have any of you lost your licence , do you get much hassle from garda,is it just a matter of ringing them and telling them how it was lost and a new one will be sent out. It was lost waaaay out in the middle of nowhere and will never be found by anyone let alone me. So there is no worries about it falling into the wrong hands or anything like that.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

pejay wrote: »
    Hi all, Have any of you lost your licence , do you get much hassle from garda,is it just a matter of ringing them and telling them how it was lost and a new one will be sent out. It was lost waaaay out in the middle of nowhere and will never be found by anyone let alone me. So there is no worries about it falling into the wrong hands or anything like that.

Many thanks,

Never say never :( I lost mine and the Gard drafted up a letter saying I lost it, he put the serial number, pulse etc etc on it. He wasn't happy about it but things happen. Since then I just photo copy the lisence and carry that. If there is anything said at least you have the original to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Thanks Spunk, did it take long for the new one to come, and was that a cover letter he gave you to carry in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Many thanks,

Just get a hold of yout FO and ask for a reprint as there is a facility on the system to do so.

As a personal perference I never carry my licence with me in the event that it gets lost (there are pros and cons to this) but (i) as law abiding citizen I feel that if stopped by the gardai, while inconvienient I have nothing to fear with them taking my firearms (ii) the fact that all my firearms are restricted (which stupidly the licence says) and licence contains (again stupidly) the information of my home address as well as the large quantity of ammuntion that I am allowed to (and quiet possibly could) posess a suppressor for the restricted firearm....

Let this get into the wrong hands......No thanks !

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Thanks Spunk, did it take long for the new one to come, and was that a cover letter he gave you to carry in the mean time.
    I never got a new lisence just that letter as it was 5months to renewal, the Gard told me if I had problems with another gard to call him directly. As gun happy said above, it's easier an safer to photo copy and safely store the original .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Thanks for that lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

Many thanks,

My story is a little different , My wallet was stolen and in it was all my licenses. The Gaurd investigating them said they would just re-issue them and send them out in the post and It would take a few weeks. After about 6 weeks there was still nothing so I decided to take a trip to the station. Went in , was in there about 10 minutes no hassle at all and received my licenses in the post the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I was told during the week by the local fo that the crowd who issue and print the licences are doing software and equipment upgrades so they slow issueing new ones at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This is going slightly off topic but seeing as the OP mentioned it in his first post, I reckon I might as well mention it.

The OP was worried that the licence might fall into the wrong hands.

Well, isn't it kind of stupid that we have to supply two passport photos with the application but no photo is printed on the licence. No great technology needed to put a picture on the licence.

Surely this would stop the unauthorised use of the licence by anyone other than the person who owns it.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

BattleCorp wrote: »
    This is going slightly off topic but seeing as the OP mentioned it in his first post, I reckon I might as well mention it.

The OP was worried that the licence might fall into the wrong hands.

Well, isn't it kind of stupid that we have to supply two passport photos with the application but no photo is printed on the licence. No great technology needed to put a picture on the licence.

Surely this would stop the unauthorised use of the licence by anyone other than the person who owns it.

Just a thought.

Couldnt agree more , I actually thought that it was great when the new licenses came in and we were asked to supply passport photos , I thought there was no chance of people that came across a lost or stolen license purchasing ammunition as the photo would not match the buyer. Instead where have the 2 passport photos gone??? Its the most stupid idea to date i think !!! I think the licensing system here is an absolute joke ! I dont know how many times Ive been told my application was "mis laid " or "lost" or some other excuse ! its not good enough and I think Myself and every other firearm owner out there is so sick of having to put up with being made feel like a criminal when we want to purchase a new gun. I think the whole licensing system needs looking at as its a complete joke. I would say we as gun owners need to take a stand to this but chances are that would not go in our favor.

Advertisement