Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up wireless internet connection

• 20-10-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hey,

Wondering if someone can help me out. I've started using an old laptop (hasn't been used before) It's a hp compaq nx9010. I've been trying to connect to the internet in college for a while and it's not working out for me. I've just started using the laptop and it hasn't been connected to the internet before. I've used an O2 usb in it earlier today and it worked fine, but I want to be able to use it in college without the usb stick.
    It's telling me the modem isn't configured properly? As I've not got a disk, I tried to configure it manually, but then I'm asked for other details which I don't have a clue about.
    I've searched online and followed various steps for setting up a wireless connection but I'm getting nowhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

That's an old laptop and may not even have inbuilt wireless (as opposed to the O2 3G mobile broadband that the USB stick provides). These 3G mobile broadband adapters allow you to connect to the nternet via licensed 3G mobile providers like O2, Vodafone, 3 etc.. They can't be used to connect to local wireless networks like in college.

First you need to figure out if you have a normal wireless card inside the laptop. If you're using Windows XP then click on Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and look for anything like 'Wireless Network Connection'. If you don't see anything then you'll probably need to go and buy a USB wireless adapter like this. These USB wireless adapters will let you connect to the sort of wireless networks that you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Thanks for getting back to me. It's not working out too well for me so I think that'll be the end of that unfortunately. Thanks all the same for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

If you have a wireless device in your laptop make sure its switched on, sometimes there is an on/off button.

In the very bottom right of the screen you will see a little icon when the cursor is over it, it will ay wireless connection. It will tell you if it is switched on etc etc

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

As mbiking123 said, make sure your wireless switch is turned on. On that laptop it's on the front right hand side, as in this DIAGRAM

You may also want to download the correct driver for the Wireless card, for that laptop. You'll get the drivers you need, HERE under "Driver - Network"

And one more thing to check, Is your College wifi unsecured? You may need a password to connect. I doubt it, but I don't know anything about your college..

Advertisement