Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Newel

Options
  • 20-10-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

The newel post at the top of my stairs is cracked due the previous house owner using it as a footstool to get into the attic!

Can the newel be cut below the crack line and a new pice fitted?
    Attached are some pics.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

whats not clear is if the whole post is moving or if the movement starts from where the round section fits into the square section.

The square section is fitted into the stairs when the threads are being made and the newel post proper fits into a [big] dowel hole in the square piece.

Depending on where the movement is, injecting some glue might do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

cut it above the crack and in drill into it a series of small holes and a sharp chesiel to cut the peses out or a hole saw bit as far as i can remeber the hole size should be 100mm

be careful there should be screws or nails from the stair string into it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

The main movement starts from where the round section fits in, but it is a lot of movement, so not sure if glue will work.

Also, while the main square section doesn't seem to move, I can here movement somewhere when I push hard against it.
    This may be related to some other issues with the stairs where it seems (not sure) to have moved from original position - see extra pics.

I don't think I will be tackling this repair myself - just getting some ideas of what needs doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

sounds as if the newel is set into the newel base alright. (some come as a complete newel.) try the glue. a 100mm hole wont work as most newels are only 90mm but you can bore a couple of 10mm holes in the side of the base (square bit) about 12mm deep then pilot drill with a 5mm hole straight in about 30mm from the edge then drive in a couple of 5 x 70mm screws. then using a plug cutter, cut a few plugs and glue them into the 10mm holes, sand back and roberts your mothers brother.

Advertisement