Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overknee or thigh boots in or out?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

ncmc wrote: »
    I think you have to be very careful with this OP, as everyone else is saying, some of them can look lovely (eg the Dior pair and the pair Honey-ec posted) but some of them just look awful. I personally wouldn’t be a fan of the flat ones, as a lot of them just look like waders to me! But again, it all depends on what they’re worn with. They’re not a cheap item, so why not bring your OH shopping with you, she can try on a few pairs and she knows better than you what clothes she will be wearing them with and what pair will suit. She may not want a thigh high pair, I know a lot of women wouldn’t wear them. I think it’s very risky for you to go off buying them without her input

I agree 100%. Just because you like them doesn't mean she will. Also I would never buy shoes/boots without trying them on as they may not fit properly or maybe uncomfortable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

The topshop ones are lovely they sold out twice online and in stores

H&m have fab real thigh highs by guest designer anna del russo, real in dreams boots

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/04160?article=04160-A

Those boots are truly fabulous and 100% leather. Ideal for the winter season and will keep your legs dry and warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sasta, what I've found over the years is that a vast majority of Irish women are conservative when it comes to fashion. An item of clothing by nature cannot be 'hookerish' or 'cheap'- it all comes down to the person wearing the clothing and how it looks on them and whether they can pull the look off.

Thigh/overknee boots tend to look fantastic on a sophisticated, educated, confident women. This last part, as much as anything determines whether thigh/overknee boots can be pulled off. If you're lady has the confidence and teams them up with the right accessories I'm sure she'll look stunning and you'll be the envy of every man that sees you both.

As others have stated they aren't cheap and some boots can look great on display but not quite right on, so bring her along and have a fun day out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sasta, what I've found over the years is that a vast majority of Irish women are conservative when it comes to fashion.

I think it's very unfair to pin the blame on Irish women, as if they're at fault for not wearing what you want them to. Thigh high leather boots are primarily associated with a leather fetish, and are commonly used as fetish clothing. They are most often seen in public being worn by prostitutes. These two combined mean that thigh high boots are intertwined with overt sexuality. Most women probably don't want to be wearing boots that speak so loudly of sex. They're not appropriate for a lot of places at the very least.

It's like saying Irish women are conservative because they don't all dress like Dita Von Teese.

I have French, Spanish and Italian male friends who think SOME Irish women are the opposite of conservative when it comes to fashion particularly on a night out in Dublin. They all have been shock by what they saw some women wear ie very, very, very little. Comparisons to prostitutes were made and rightly so.

Faith wrote: »
    I think it's very unfair to pin the blame on Irish women, as if they're at fault for not wearing what you want them to. Thigh high leather boots are primarily associated with a leather fetish, and are commonly used as fetish clothing. They are most often seen in public being worn by prostitutes. These two combined mean that thigh high boots are intertwined with overt sexuality. Most women probably don't want to be wearing boots that speak so loudly of sex. They're not appropriate for a lot of places at the very least.

It's like saying Irish women are conservative because they don't all dress like Dita Von Teese.

I'm speaking more about attitude rather than what's actually worn. On another point, while I'm not overly familiar with prostitutes it's very rare that I've ever seen one wearing leather/thigh boots. Generally when I have seen them, Paris etc, they've worn relatively normal clothing you'd find worn on a night out- it's more a question of where they were, rather than what was worn that constituted them as prostitutes. I think this idea that they were leather/thigh boots is something perpetuated by the media as those items are really rather sexy/glamorous and the reality of what they choose to wear is rather more mundane.

It's unfortunate that leather thigh boots have become associated with fetishism and prostitution. Thigh boots and overkneee boots do keep the wearers legs warm and dry during the winter season and are ideal for the Irish climate.

It's unfortunate that leather thigh boots have become associated with fetishism and prostitution. Thigh boots and overkneee boots do keep the wearers legs warm and dry during the winter season and are ideal for the Irish climate.

Somehow I don't think you are a fan of them because they keep the wearer warm. The majority of posts here that in strong favour of thigh high boots seem to be men!

mood wrote: »
    I have French, Spanish and Italian male friends who think SOME Irish women are the opposite of conservative when it comes to fashion particularly on a night out in Dublin. They all have been shock by what they saw some women wear ie very, very, very little. Comparisons to prostitutes were made and rightly so.

If a woman feels like showing off her body and flaunting what she's got on a night out, then why not? IMO, less is best when it comes to after dark wear. How dare those foreign males compare our beautiful Irish women to prostitutes.

• Advertisement

If a woman feels like showing off her body and flaunting what she's got on a night out, then why not? IMO, less is best when it comes to after dark wear. How dare those foreign males compare our beautiful Irish women to prostitutes.

But they were right. I agreed 100%. The women in question were wearing worse than below with knickers visible etc. It is not fashionable, classy, elegant or sophisticated therefore looks dreadful in my opinion.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/please-stop-nightclub-wear-242x450.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hellogiggles.com/to-the-girls-on-hollywood-blvd&usg=__NUQWOXFjLLIUHt1uH1f3yIqG7bE=&h=450&w=242&sz=43&hl=en&start=16&zoom=1&tbnid=HdxZJlKIyCnfWM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=68&ei=ELh6UMbdLcnAhAfZ5IDIAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtrashy%2Bnightclub%2Bwear%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What is so classy there? They look ridiculous and very unflattering. Most of the girls on the links are very slender and they look OK in those boots. Kim Kardashian looks like she would have two tree trunks instead of legs.

Leather boots are very hard look to pull of for most of the people. Get it wrong and you look fat or trashy or possibly both.

They look awful over jeans, especially KK, and I don't know what's "classy" about looking like you're in boots + no trousers or skirt, just underwear

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shinyboots75

bluewolf wrote: »
    They look awful over jeans, especially KK, and I don't know what's "classy" about looking like you're in boots + no trousers or skirt, just underwear

ah I think they look good over jeans...., knee high would look better

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    What is so classy there? They look ridiculous and very unflattering. Most of the girls on the links are very slender and they look OK in those boots. Kim Kardashian looks like she would have two tree trunks instead of legs.

Leather boots are very hard look to pull of for most of the people. Get it wrong and you look fat or trashy or possibly both.

Well now 1 out of 6 isn't too shabby. I think her jacket choice isn't the best and a smaller bag would look better. Bearing those things in mind it's a good look.

Admittedly not everyone can pull off the look but we're not talking about everyone. It can look stunning on someone whom it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes, a very expensive pair of boots can look classy with the help of a stylist who can find you the perfect outfit and designer bag to wear them with. For the average person finding an affordable non cheap looking pair and having the ability to pair them with something suitable is a lot harder

Also the woman that looks like she is wearing nothing but a top/jacket and the boots definitely does not look classy!

I was shopping at the weekend and didn't see one pair of thigh high boots in any shop so I would say no they are not 'in' at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 coolgal52

over the knee boots or thigh high boots are very much in at the moment and i bought a pair last weekend, they are even in penneys!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes, a very expensive pair of boots can look classy with the help of a stylist who can find you the perfect outfit and designer bag to wear them with. For the average person finding an affordable non cheap looking pair and having the ability to pair them with something suitable is a lot harder

Also the woman that looks like she is wearing nothing but a top/jacket and the boots definitely does not look classy!

Honestly I think you're being overly hard on yourself and women in general. A nice pair of boots don't have to cost a months wages. Topshop Barley boots can be picked up for between €100-150. A few years back I bought (and so did several female posters here) my other half a pair of overknees from a company called Arollo. When she's worn them out she's had nothing but compliments from other women- they cost all of €150.
    Saying a stylist is needed to help put together a non-thrashy outfit is I feel wrong. Take a day out, walk around the high street shops and you have an almost limitless choice of what to pair with the boots. All it takes is some confidence and time.

They are like any fashion item. If you plump for something cheap and nasty, you can't expect much in return. However, make the investment with a quality pair, team it with quality accessories and you have a breath taking outfit....... if it's a look that you feel you can get away with.

Skinny jeans, a simple look that's been around for years, however it doesn't suit everyone. Thigh/overknee boots are the same. The majority of this thread has been about how they are a bad thing full stop. I've simply been saying this isn't true. The right pair, with the right accessories isn't hard to pull off as a look and if done correctly is far from cheap looking.

I don't think I can say much more than that so I'll whisht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So, I was going to a restaurant opening last night and wore my thigh boots. Thought I'd post a pic to illustrate why I really, really disgree with the whole thigh boots = cheap philosophy that seems to be particularly prevalent from some corners on this thread (and also to counter the slightly pervy posts coming from one poster in particular).

I can understand that they're not for some people. But to write them off as hookerish in any incarnation is just plain rude, tbh. I wouldn't be caught dead in kitten heels, for example, but I'd never tell anyone who wears them that I think they look like middle-aged dowagers.

69779_10151448628517678_439178316_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Honey-ec wrote: »
    but I'd never tell anyone who wears them that I think they look like middle-aged dowagers.

Well, you just did, on this thread. How is that any better than someone declaring on-thread that they find thigh boots cheap looking and/or unflattering in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

There is nothing sexier than a woman wearing a pair of black leather thigh boots with high heels. The boots should be worn with a leather mini-skirt and and leather biker jacket. I wonder if there are many women out there brave enough to wear such an ensamble. The thigh's the limit!
    Spot on. Shiny tan or black tights (sheer to waist), mini-skirt, with over the knee high heel boots - perfect. And no wrinkles in the tights!

Well, you just did, on this thread. How is that any better than someone declaring on-thread that they find thigh boots cheap looking and/or unflattering in general?

Because this isn't a thread about kitten heels.

Because this isn't a thread about kitten heels.

Then it's even more pointless to bring up how you feel about them. It's a thread on thigh high boots, soliciting people's opinions on them, be those opinions positive or negative. To bring up how you feel about another style of footwear (and you did, despite loftily declaring you didn't) because you are miffed that people gave less than positive opinions on thigh highs is a bit uncalled for.

I don't always think thigh highs look terrible, but they very often do. Just as kitten heels can look frumpy or great depending.

So, I was going to a restaurant opening last night and wore my thigh boots. Thought I'd post a pic to illustrate why I really, really disgree with the whole thigh boots = cheap philosophy that seems to be particularly prevalent from some corners on this thread (and also to counter the slightly pervy posts coming from one poster in particular).
    Most of us said that some over the knee boots look cheap and those examples that some of the (male) posters were drooling over are. It's not people being prudish but over the knee bots are hard look to pull of for a lot of people and personally I think they have to be leather and good quality make and not some nasty 40 Euro plastic incarnation. As you can't say that all kitten heels are ugly and for middle age dowagers. It really depends on the model and what you wear them with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

So, I was going to a restaurant opening last night and wore my thigh boots.

69779_10151448628517678_439178316_n.jpg

Where did you get those? They're gorgeous.

Then it's even more pointless to bring up how you feel about them. It's a thread on thigh high boots, soliciting people's opinions on them, be those opinions positive or negative. To bring up how you feel about another style of footwear (and you did, despite loftily declaring you didn't) because you are miffed that people gave less than positive opinions on them is a bit uncalled for.

I don't always think thigh look terrible, but they very often do. Just as kitten heels can look frumpy or great depending.

I was using them as an example but tbh, I think you're being deliberately obtuse at this stage purely because you seem to have taken a personal dislike to me for whatever reason, so I think we should agree to disagree at this stage.

I can understand that they're not for some people. But to write them off as hookerish in any incarnation is just plain rude, tbh. I wouldn't be caught dead in kitten heels, for example, but I'd never tell anyone who wears them that I think they look like middle-aged dowagers.

This thread has been primarily about leather boots, not suede. I've a pair of suede over-the-knee boots that I think look very well, as do yours, but I think thigh high leather boots, in 99% of cases, look horrible.

But nice way to get a dig in at loads of people. And it's a bit laughable of you to claim that you're never criticise footwear, when you've no problem insulting everyone who wears skinny jeans with ballet pumps.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Most of us said that some over the knee boots look cheap and those examples that some of the (male) posters were drooling over are. It's not people being prudish but over the knee bots are hard look to pull of for a lot of people and personally I think they have to be leather and good quality make and not some nasty 40 Euro plastic incarnation.

And I specifically said that I was posting to counter some of the pervier male examples, because I think that when someone says "thigh high boots" people automatically think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman and my point was that thigh-high doesn't automatically mean crotch-skimming PVC.

• Advertisement

This thread has been primarily about leather boots, not suede. I've a pair of suede over-the-knee boots that I think look very well, as do yours, but I think thigh high leather boots, in 99% of cases, look horrible.

But nice way to get a dig in at loads of people. And it's a bit laughable of you to claim that you're never criticise footwear, when you've no problem insulting everyone who wears skinny jeans with ballet pumps.

The thread title is "Overknee or thigh boots in or out?", nothing about leather specifically.

And I said I'd only wear skinny jeans with heels or boots, not flats. When I was asked why, I said I'd never seen anyone in skinnies and flats that looked good in them. Not quite the same thing as bailing in with "All women who wear skinnies and flats are fat pigs", which is what you seem to be implying.

ETA: They're River Island, Pippy, got them the winter before last.

I was using them as an example but tbh, I think you're being deliberately obtuse at this stage purely because you seem to have taken a personal dislike to me for whatever reason, so I think we should agree to disagree at this stage.

Personal dislike? How many times have we even crossed paths on this site. :confused: Yes, if someone counters what you say, it's down to a personal vendetta. Always.

The thread title is "Overknee or thigh boots in or out?", nothing about leather specifically.

But it's clear that all the men posting on this thread have leather fetishes and are really only interested in leather boots. Nearly all the posts have focussed on leather boots, with nearly all the links and pictures being of leather boots.
    And I said I'd only wear skinny jeans with heels or boots, not flats. When I was asked why, I said I'd never seen anyone in skinnies and flats that looked good in them. Not quite the same thing as bailing in with "All women who wear skinnies and flats are fat pigs", which is what you seem to be implying.

Saying they look like they have "hips the size of Jupiter" is pretty harsh. What's the difference between a poster saying thigh high boots will make you look cheap and tacky, and a poster saying skinny jeans with ballet pumps will make you look like you have hips the size of Jupiter? Both are very insulting to a person who likes the look. But both are also personal opinions. You can't give out when someone criticises something you wear, when you've just given out about something someone else wears.

But it's clear that all the men posting on this thread have leather fetishes and are really only interested in leather boots. Nearly all the posts have focussed on leather boots, with nearly all the links and pictures being of leather boots.

Which is exactly why I'm trying to make the point that thigh-high boots A) don't necessarily have to be leather and B) don't automatically look like fetish wear. Plus I don't necessarily think that F&A is the place for men with those particular tastes to be discussing it.

Saying they look like they have "hips the size of Jupiter" is pretty harsh. What's the difference between a poster saying thigh high boots will make you look cheap and tacky, and a poster saying skinny jeans with ballet pumps will make you look like you have hips the size of Jupiter? Both are very insulting to a person who likes the look. But both are also personal opinions. You can't give out when someone criticises something you wear, when you've just given out about something someone else wears.

I wasn't giving out, I was giving an example of what, imo, constitutes a non-tacky way to wear thigh-high boots, much as several people in the skinny jeans thread posted examples of ways they think skinny jeans & flats can look good.

And I specifically said that I was posting to counter some of the pervier male examples, because I think that when someone says "thigh high boots" people automatically think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman and my point was that thigh-high doesn't automatically mean crotch-skimming PVC.

Did you actually see the examples people wanted opinions on? It was exactly Julia Roberts plastic muck. Only later other suede and leather models were posted.

Edit: BTW suede over the knee boots are usually perfectly ok but I don't buy suede boots very often. I don't spend that much money on shoes but I don't buy cheap stuff either so I want to get some wear out of it. Suede can be a bit annoying to clean and useless when it is raining.

Plus I don't necessarily think that F&A is the place for men with those particular tastes to be discussing it.

I agree with you completely there. I find it very uncomfortable when I feel a poster has a double meaning in a thread. I know it's hard to determine the line between enjoying a certain type of clothing and fetishising it, but I do feel sometimes that certain threads would be more appropriate in Sex & Sexuality.

You just took a different approach to this thread. Most posters who didn't like what was being asked about gave examples of why they don't like it, while you gave examples of ways in which it looks good. Nobody was having a go at your choice of footwear, they were giving about about the cheap tacky style of boots that the male posters on this thread seem to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Major Dad

My missus would like a pair of thigh-high black boots (as opposed to over the knee), preferably leather if the budget can stretch that far but would like to try some pairs on rather than buying over the web. I know we could go to one of the adult shops to see a selection (which I've no problem doing) but has anyone else seen them in any shops recently ? Saw one poster above who said she hadn't seen any at all but maybe someone else has ?
    Cheers

P.S. First post and I know it might be verging on being more appropriate to another area but thought I'd try my luck first !!

they were giving about about the cheap tacky style of boots that the male posters on this thread seem to like.

Ehhhhh .... :(

Major Dad wrote: »
    My missus would like a pair of thigh-high black boots (as opposed to over the knee), preferably leather if the budget can stretch that far but would like to try some pairs on rather than buying over the web. I know we could go to one of the adult shops to see a selection (which I've no problem doing) but has anyone else seen them in any shops recently ? Saw one poster above who said she hadn't seen any at all but maybe someone else has ?
    Cheers

P.S. First post and I know it might be verging on being more appropriate to another area but thought I'd try my luck first !!

You can find them in many of the high street shops such as Topshop and H&M. They'll look nicer and cost substantially less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

to write them off as hookerish in any incarnation is just plain rude, tbh. I wouldn't be caught dead in kitten heels, for example, but I'd never tell anyone who wears them that I think they look like middle-aged dowagers.

Could you be any more passive-aggressive? I love how you seem to think it's acceptable to declare that 'wearing skinnies with flats is not a good look on anyone, ever' because anyone who does has 'hips the size of Jupiter'. As if that wasn't bad enough, you then go so far as to label another poster on this thread as 'pervy' but if anyone dares to disagree with your taste you're immediately on your high horse -and even posting pictures to ram your point home to those who didn't agree with you the first time.

Why the attitude? It's only clothes -people's taste vary, accept it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I saw a few different types in River Island this afternoon.
    Major Dad wrote: »
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Am I the only one who finds it bit creepy the way certain male posters post looking for advice on buying their women sexy boots, leather trousers, etc?

It comes across like they have control over what their woman wear and only want them wearing sexy clothes.

Am I the only one who finds it bit creepy the way certain male posters post looking for advice on buying their women sexy boots, leather trousers, etc?

It comes across like they have control over what their woman wear and only want them wearing sexy clothes.

Well that type of guy wouldn't be for me.

I don't think anyone has come across that way at all. A couple of posters are interested in buying their girlfriends an item of clothing. There's absolutely nothing to indicate that they're dictating their whole wardrobes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Wow!!Didnt expext this many replies!

Id never force or tell my girlfriend what to wear.I like her looking well sometimes sexy,i might suggest an outfit or heels or boots and she get her them so,Its a bit of fun in a loving relationship,she likes getting dressed up.Shes her own own
    As for creepy well i think boots are very sexy and deffo do it for me on my girlfriend,im doing no harm lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Personally, I think they're out at the moment, as the whole style has been done to death. I think unless you're loaded and can afford designer boots, it will be very difficult to get a pair of over the knee boots that look nice on.
    I could never find a pair under €200 that looked nice on me.
    I used to wear my American Apparel thigh high socks if I wanted that sort of look. However, I think it looks a bit dated now.

• Advertisement

Just spotted this & wanted to wade in on this with my own experience (not of wearing, I'm male!)

The only time I've ever seen boots that come as far as mid thigh outside of costumes was on a woman who was working at a stand at a recent trade fair. IIRC it was boots, blue jeans, black top (red white flowery pattern, round neck, no arms) glasses, blonde highlights to straight hair with one of those hair bump things similar to Imelda May.

Noticed her after leaving in white tennis shoes. Definite difference between the visual statements that just a change of footwear can make!

Edit: just to say, though, while mid thigh boots are a pervy attention getter, boots that cover the knee are still really popular out there (airport security, my job has me asking loads of people to take off their shoes per day). Highest thing I see regularly is those flats that have that upper flap turned up (if you turned them down they'd look like pirate boots)

Advertisement