Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wondering if someone can help me...

• 20-10-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

not sure if this is the right board to put this on but here i go....

first time mammy to a 3 week old baby. I'm currently on maternity leave but not sure if able to return to work as i'm going it alone with baby. No help from her father at all. He refuses to have anything to do with her. Just wondering would anyone know what i'd be entitled to?? Or know where i can find all that out??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ - go to your local office and contact social welfare as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My advice would be to wait til closer to the end of your leave to make a decision. Everything seems so daunting with a newborn around, it will feel better in time. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, make sure you add up all the maternity leave, holidays and bank holidays you will have accrued and then out that date in you head and work towards it. I wouldn't tell work you have no intention to return yet.

You only have to tell them 1 month before you return, if you going back so dont jump the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supershazf

Defo its early days yet and you are still just getting your head around the whole having a baby and being a single parent. Speaking from expericence (I am also a single parent with no input from father) i would wait until nearer the time that you are due back to work when you feel more like your old self before making any big decisions like that. you might find at that stage that you will be delighted to get back to what you were doing before and that your employer may be accomodation of your new circumstances. i found for my baby that she has come on in leaps and bounds since she went to her childminder and she loves going there now. its really good for them to interact with other kids as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Also remember that if you're working you may be entitled to benefits such as Family Income Supplement and/or a medical card depending on what your outgoings are every month.

Citizens Information is a great site to help with what benefits you may be entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

January wrote: »
    Also remember that if you're working you may be entitled to benefits such as Family Income Supplement and/or a medical card depending on what your outgoings are every month.

Citizens Information is a great site to help with what benefits you may be entitled to.

Excellent advice, they also offer a phone line service if you need any further information. I have called them with a few queries and they have always been very helpful!
    Also enjoy your little baby, it's a tough time and going it alone makes it even harder. Congratulations on your new little bundle and hope you get all the support you need :)

Advertisement