Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute to the airport

Options
  • 20-10-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Folks, just looking for some advice.  I'm currently living in Belfast, but might be going for a job based at Dublin airport.  

Its been a few years since I lived in Dublin, and they haven't mentioned salary yet (it's a internal transfer), so I'm looking to gauge and compare the cost of living to that in Belfast, so I can have an idea on what salary level to expect (also looking on irishjobs.com for similar jobs)

As the main cost is rent, I'm looking advice on what area to look in for apartments, and what kind of rent they will be.  Any area consder, but as I don't drive needs to be on/near a bus route.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

would you consider commuting? From belfast to Dublin airport would only be about 1 hour 20 mins - im based in Swords and we have people that commute from Belfast daily.
    otherwise swords, Malahide, Santry would be all close to airport and on accessable bus routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MoodieG

Cheers for the reply, I live 40 mins from Belfast, so with the commute to Belfast, then to Dublin, would be too much, around a hour is grand

(when I did live in Dublin, it took me 2 hours to get to work, didn't enjoy it then... :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

messrs wrote: »
    would you consider commuting? From belfast to Dublin airport would only be about 1 hour 20 mins - im based in Swords and we have people that commute from Belfast daily.
    otherwise swords, Malahide, Santry would be all close to airport and on accessable bus routes
    Then the airport to the city centre will take another 45 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Then the airport to the city centre will take another 45 mins.

But he doesn't need to go to city centre..?

OP, I'd say Swords or Santry are your best bet. IIRC the buses from Malahide aen't all that regular, tho it is a lovely area. Take a look on Daft.ie to get an idea of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Santry and Swords would make the most sense. Sharing would be substantially cheaper than getting an apartment to yourself. Malahide would be a bit more expensive, although there is the Dublin Bus route 102. Route 16 and 16a are expected to merge to serve the airport, on an altered route.

Another option would be the city cente and use the Airlink (multi-day / monthly / annual ticket holder use it free) or Aircoach (airport staff rates apply) services. Note also UrBus and FlyBus. There are other operators, but they do regional / national services.

Balance getting to work with any other activities - shopping, night life, etc.

Dublin Bus routes: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/
    16a Dublin Airport to Lower Rathfarnham (Nutgrove Avenue)
    41 Lower Abbey St. to Swords Manor
    102 Sutton Station to Dublin Airport
    747 From Heuston Rail Station Towards Dublin Airport

Bus Éireann routes (will not serve Swords/Dublin City-Dublin Airport): http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=267
    1 Dublin - Airport - Newry - Belfast and return
    2 Airport – Dublin – Arklow – Gorey – Enniscorthy – Wexford – Rosslare Harbour and return
    4 Dublin Airport – Dublin – Carlow – Waterford – Dungarvan and return
    12 Dublin - Portlaoise - Roscrea - Nenagh - Limerick and return
    X20/20 Dublin - Dublin Airport - Athlone - Ballinasloe - Galway and return
    22 Dublin – Airport – Mullingar – Longford – Ballina and return
    23 Dublin – Airport – Mullingar – Longford – Sligo and return
    30 Dublin - Airport - Cavan - Enniskillen - Donegal Town - West Donegal and return
    32 Dublin - Dublin Airport - Monaghan - Letterkenny and return
    33 Dublin - Dublin Airport - Monaghan - Omagh - Derry and return
    100X Wilton Terrace – City Centre – Airport – Drogheda – Dundalk and return
    101 Dublin - Airport - Balbriggan - Drogheda and return
    101X Wilton Terrace - Drogheda - Termon Abbey
    109 Dublin - Dunshaughlin - Navan - Kells - Virginia - Cavan town and return
    109A D.C.U. - Airport - Ratoath - Dunshaughlin - Navan - Kells
    133 Dublin Airport – Dublin – Ashford – Wicklow
    177 Dublin - Airport - Ashbourne - Ardee - Monaghan - Clones and return

http://www.dub.aero/gns/to-from-the-airport/by-bus-or-coach.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement